• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Dombrandt has played in all 6 games for Borthwick so far. It would be odd if he is left out for somebody (Vunipola) that has played no games for Borthwick.

The Times says it was a late decision to drop Slade for Marchant and imply that until today Slade and Marchant thought Slade was above Marchant in the pecking order.

I just don't see the point in bringing both Daly and Malins. Would rather see Murley or May take Malins spot

That's a depressing start to the week to say the least.

I wonder when SBs credit in the bank runs out? If we see another couple of years of only picking the so called 'test match animals' and all the other random decisions Eddie made etc.

Really hope the press are wrong and we get some decent players selected.

Also walking wounded in the squad would be Billy, Chessum, curry and Arendell.

Also hope ribbans who went off with a HIA is ok.

I wonder when SBs credit in the bank runs out?
TBF - he needs to build up some credit into the bank first. Currently he's got some goodwill for being new, and... that's already running (run?) out.

Personally I don't know if Dombrandt is just international quality tbh

Maybe if for the all blacks
Agreed, I think that he, and Malins, fit into the Alex Goode mold of very good club players, who look like they should be decent internationals, but just never make the step up.

Has the last 20 years shown the weakness of the Premiership in producing enough World class players or type of players who can make the step up to international level? This is the World Cup cycle which has just exposed the lack of quality.

I don't think so at all, tbh

It's very in vogue to rag on the Prem ATM but I think the bigger issue is the EPS system - don't know what it is but it seems to suck the life out of players recently,
Doesn't help that we have a very novice set of coaches ATM as well
We also seem to have the idea of hammering square pegs into round holes when picking players and gameplans for England

Don't really have any suggestions for what needs to change but you don't see any other country wearing their players down like we do - multiple coaches have spoken about having to wash the stink of England camps off their players when they return to the club's

I think players play too much tbh. Like how many games on average did that team have? On top of a RWC training camp?

We already have a semi central contract system, now might be the time to try and fully work one out I guess.

Club rugby is already struggling so makes more sense now than it did before

We don't help ourselves by not picking players based on ability. As opposed to a dogmatic regime where we pick based on a set formula. Underhill who appears fit and mercer would walk into almost all RWC squads based on ability.

Can anyone honestly say Lawes offers more at 6 than a Curry/Underhill combination?

Mercer was the stand out 8 in a very strong top 14 in the last two seasons He was either top or in the top 3 for defenders beaten, meters made and carries per match. Yet we go back to Billy who now flops into tackles rather than bursts. Their is little point selecting someone on size if they don't have the mobility/mindset to use it

Last edited:
I think players play too much tbh. Like how many games on average did that team have? On top of a RWC training camp?

We already have a semi central contract system, now might be the time to try and fully work one out I guess.

Club rugby is already struggling so makes more sense now than it did before
Yep, although I think some of the French players play a pretty fair amount too?

If we're serious about the national team central contracts has to be the way to go. Plus a decent coaching set up.

Our clubs aren't getting anywhere near the pointy end of Europe now so in many respects it's not really surprising the national team's struggling (although we should be doing better than we are).

Back to the squad. Apparently Slade had played in 30 of 37 games since Japan. OK last year was disrupted but that's still a lot of experience and investment to discard. Apparently v upset and you can bet he's beating himself up at not joining the Chiefs French exodus. Times speculating that this means a Ford, Farrell, Manu midfield.

Times also saying that it's Borthwick's aim to kick for at least 1,000 metres per match…..

Latest posts