• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Going off their regular position for their clubs (and in alphabetical order, not ranked)

1. Genge, Marler, Rodd
2. Dan, George, Walker
3. Cole, Sinckler, Stuart
4. Itoje, Martin
5. Chessum, Ribbans
6. Curry, Lawes
7. Earl, Ludlam, Willis
8. Vunipola
9. Care, van Poortvliet, Youngs
10. Farrell, Ford, Smith
12. Tuilagi
13. Daly, Lawrence, Marchant
14. Malins, Watson
15. Arundell, Steward

Obv players play multiple, i.e. Ludlam unlikely to start at 7 for England

That squad is full of has beens, too earlies, might be's and will probably never be's.

Genuinely, how many are at the very peak of their powers right now? Who'll be playing the best international rugby of their entire careers over the next few weeks? Ludlam possibly, but few other obvious candidates.

That squad is full of has beens, too earlies, might be's and will probably never be's.

Genuinely, how many are at the very peak of their powers right now? Who'll be playing the best international rugby of their entire careers over the next few weeks? Ludlam possibly, but few other obvious candidates.
Yeah...the only positive is that Chessum, Martin, Theo Dan, Rodd, Steward, Lawrence, Arundell are all very young and "should" gain massive experience from this whole World Cup, so long as it doesnt break them. They are all potentially the future for England.

I think Willis, Curry, Earl, Ludlam all might go well. Shame they all play the same positions. Lawes, Watson, George, Steward are all pretty dependable for England. Pinning my hopes on Farrell, Itoje stepping up. So trying to be positive at least ten will look good. In reality possibly 3 - 4. The worrying thing as always for me is the props but the tight fives about as good as we've got.

Yeah...the only positive is that Chessum, Martin, Theo Dan, Rodd, Steward, Lawrence, Arundell are all very young and "should" gain massive experience from this whole World Cup, so long as it doesnt break them. They are all potentially the future for England.
Bit worried about Dan TBH. Inexperienced, 2nd choice at club, unlikely to see much game time. Didn't go well on Saturday. Hope he doesn't become another Singleton.

Bit worried about Dan TBH. Inexperienced, 2nd choice at club, unlikely to see much game time. Didn't go well on Saturday. Hope he doesn't become another Singleton.
Totally agree, hes seems talented but hes WAY too inexperienced to be there. But hes been fast tracked so we just have to hope that hes managed properly and that neither George nor walker get injured. And that they work on him (and Rodd) etc on their set pieces....

BUT if he comes through it well...England have a 20 year old hooker with a resemblance of Shalk Brits whos already gone through a World Cup and at one of the best clubs for developing young talent.

George Martin is another i really hope falls in to that bracket. If he can develop that lineout ability he could be a major force at lock for us.

Arundell moving to Racing 92 is concerning because of course he won't be eligible after this for a while at least.

Arundell moving to Racing 92 is concerning because of course he won't be eligible after this for a while at least.
Hhmm well it depends if its a one year deal which means hes eligible (because Irish went under) ...or if its longer. Im curious to see where Jack Willis stands as hes renewed his so by rights he should be ineligible also.

Hhmm well it depends if its a one year deal which means hes eligible (because Irish went under) ...or if its longer. Im curious to see where Jack Willis stands as hes renewed his so by rights he should be ineligible also.
It's quite bizarre selecting players who won't be eligible for the Six Nations just a few months later.

Don't think that's been confirmed - the Wasps/Wuss clemency was because they had to move mid season, that wasn't the case with LI
Ah right i thought they automatically fell under the "exception" rule also. Be interesting to see then.

Read an interesting thought elsewhere, why the England team faded so much in the second half, could be that Aled Walters is still grilling them in their fitness programme, so they may be heavy legged in the games.
Suggested that Walters will have them at their peak for the Argentina game so they may still be going hard in training.

It's quite bizarre selecting players who won't be eligible for the Six Nations just a few months later.
There are lots of things wrong with this squad. Prioritising this year's World Cup over developing players for next year's Six Nations is not one of those things.

Just about every successful World Cup squad ever has had players who are giving it their last hurrah.

Yeah theres a few...Ribbans also.
Tbf I'm not fussed about that - he has a very tenuous link to England (English Grandad emigrated to South Africa as a child), is a full product of the South African systems and he played professionally in SA before moving to England
I don't think he gets into the 23 when everyone is fit, and him leaving post RWC just means we've got time to bring someone new through (or recall Isiekwe, if his form dictates)
Good for depth atm, but post RWC not someone you build a squad around or anything

Tbf I'm not fussed about that - he has a very tenuous link to England (English Grandad emigrated to South Africa as a child), is a full product of the South African systems and he played professionally in SA before moving to England)
I don't think he gets into the 23 when everyone is fit, and him leaving post RWC just means we've got time to bring someone new through (or recall Isiekwe, if his form dictates)
I agree.

When you consider Itoje will still be there, then Chessum and Martin developing plus Chessum Jr coming through and the other 6'10 lad at Tigers...and a few elsewhere around the prem we should really be looking to develop a top class set of locks for England...

Read an interesting thought elsewhere, why the England team faded so much in the second half, could be that Aled Walters is still grilling them in their fitness programme, so they may be heavy legged in the games.
Suggested that Walters will have them at their peak for the Argentina game so they may still be going hard in training.
Hope so, Gatland allegedly said to the press, beer in hand after the game "We are fitter than them". On that showing he's right.

Latest posts