• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

We will see it's already been tried before but T'eo ****** it up with his fight thing

I don't mind so much the idea of it need to know the full details I guess.
Also see if it's actually a thing cause outside rest weeks still very possible england players may be back for the Prem

Wasn't there unconfirmed reports that RFU helped with Andy Farrell and Sam Burgess honestly wouldn't be surprised if this isn't announced officially

Last edited:
Don't see the RFU ever going full central contracts but can see them paying clubs part of internationals contracts in order to retain more control over them and their playing times.

So say Freddie steward is on £250k
I could see the RFU paying half the money and Leicester the rest with the deal being that he plays half the games or something like that.

I just never see full central contracts being a thing in England I can't see how the RFU would afford it

We will see it's already been tried before but T'eo ****** it up with his fight thing

I don't mind so much the idea of it need to know the full details I guess.
Also see if it's actually a thing cause outside rest weeks still very possible england players may be back for the Prem

Wasn't there unconfirmed reports that RFU helped with Andy Farrell and Sam Burgess honestly wouldn't be surprised if this isn't announced officially
IIRC, Yes, the RFU paid part of A Farrell's fee (and a few before that, my memory is that Farrell signalled the end of RFU assistance in bringing across league players); but for Burgess it was more "was there a nod and a wink that he'd be in the England squad" rather than any money changing hands (let's face it, he was marquee, so wouldn't have been necessary in salary cap terms)

Not surprised, this was floated a few months ago.

Feels like dicey ground for the RFU unless it is paving the way for something wider. I like the idea of central contracts but whether they're viable I really don't know.

Question hopefully you lot can help me with. Im going down for the England wales game and I normally stay around twickenham but all the hotels are booked up.

Was thinking about waiting for an hour until the underground calms down and then going somewhere to stay (hopefully cheaper as well).

Anyone got any recommendations for places that are easy to get to from twickenham to stay?

Cheers

Question hopefully you lot can help me with. Im going down for the England wales game and I normally stay around twickenham but all the hotels are booked up.

Was thinking about waiting for an hour until the underground calms down and then going somewhere to stay (hopefully cheaper as well).

Anyone got any recommendations for places that are easy to get to from twickenham to stay?

Cheers
Any thing around or near Clapham Junction is where i tend to look. It's a direct train at takes about 20mins i think. Depends on budget but you have your usual travel lodges, prem inns etc.

So he's centrally contracted until the end of the world cup?
Bit dodgy, that

Can everyone else request that their RWC players have a few months salary taken out of the cap?

I'm not necessarily against central contracts but if he signs for a Prem side then that side has had 5 months of top international salary paid for by the RFU and removed from their cap total - massively unfair

I guess is it dodgy if he's technically a free agent?

Apparently RFU have him down as unattached.

I guess is it dodgy if he's technically a free agent?

Apparently RFU have him down as unattached.
For me it is - I'm not saying the clubs are in the wrong (seen people getting mad at Tigers over it as they're presuming he's re-signing there and they've wangled the deal)

The RFU are subsidising a club for 5 months of salary that (and if it's in the Prem that's 5months of salary cap too). If Watson wants to stay in England: sign for a club already.
If he wants to move abroad: sign with a club and negotiate RWC release (like Ribbans/Marchant have)

I mean fair play to Watson/his agent for wangling this deal, he's been outspoken in the past about money even when clubs are on the brink and I guess players have to be selfish with their careers because they're short and can have long lasting health implications

Just don't think a cash strapped RFU shelling out a few hundred grand because they lost a game of chicken vs Watson/his agent is a good use of money, and will have negative implications for the 9 clubs that don't end up signing him

Any thing around or near Clapham Junction is where i tend to look. It's a direct train at takes about 20mins i think. Depends on budget but you have your usual travel lodges, prem inns etc.
If it's just a place to crash, you could also look in the other direction around Feltham or Staines. You wouldn't want to hang around there, but it would almost certainly be cheaper and almost as easy to get to Twickenham on the same train line.

I remember Watson saying he didn't have any offers for Mmmm memo any English clubs earlier this year. If that's the case and he is retiring or moving to Japan or something after the WC I don't blame England paying him his England money directly rather than through a club he doesn't have for insurance reasons etc. also will help his mortgage and anything else having a contract with an employer.

If you're going to make an exception then the rules should be clear on how and why. Watson is a great player, but I wouldn't say he's so great to undermine the salary cap system.
Yep, this isn't a marooned by a club folding situation. Either a forerunner of something or a precedent they might end up wishing they hadn't created.

Find that really hard to believe - weren't both Tigers and Saracens chasing him?
Might be no offers vs no offers that meet his salary threshold for consideration
Non offers for next season that is. So I'm theory he's unemployed at the moment. Think it was on the hood the bad the rugby podcast he said it.

Hmm, the cynic in me chooses not to believe that

My guess is he was shopping around for a 1yr deal (so he's available for the RWC but can go abroad for big money after) but clubs were offering reduced wages due to his shorter season - his agent then goes to the RFU saying he's had no offers and will not be available unless they step in

I just don't believe for a second that no-one offered him a deal

Hmm, the cynic in me chooses not to believe that

My guess is he was shopping around for a 1yr deal (so he's available for the RWC but can go abroad for big money after) but clubs were offering reduced wages due to his shorter season - his agent then goes to the RFU saying he's had no offers and will not be available unless they step in

I just don't believe for a second that no-one offered him a deal

Yeh tigers offered him a one year deal

I guess potentially only thing may be if he agreed in principle to a deal with Irish

EAC7EE9D-F95D-41DF-84E7-B3DB78155BD3.jpeg
New squad. Billy and Lawrence both fully in the squad now rather than just rehabbers.

From what else I can see:
Rodd has replaced VRR.
Murley has been dropped.

Haven't spotted anything else yet.

View attachment 17177
New squad. Billy and Lawrence both fully in the squad now rather than just rehabbers.

From what else I can see:
Rodd has replaced VRR.
Murley has been dropped.

Haven't spotted anything else yet.
So Rodd was dropped last week and is now back in? That's rather odd. I assumed (wrongly it seems) that once you were dropped from this squad that would be it due to the size of it.

Surely he's got to whittle it down sometime soon.

As for Billy, just yuck. Would rather curry or Ludlum at 8 than Billy.

Latest posts