• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Ruck are reporting today that Mako, Hill, Underhill, May and Daly are set to be dropped

Interesting. I'm not fussed on Mako or Hill, but I would have expected the other three to be in with a strong chance of being in the final squad.

Then again, it is Ruck.

Interesting. I'm not fussed on Mako or Hill, but I would have expected the other three to be in with a strong chance of being in the final squad.

Then again, it is Ruck.
Exactly....

Would be genuinely surprised to see Mako dropped and Rodd retained
Pearson over Underhill is a big shout - Underhill's injury history might be playing a part in that (though I'd be dropping Earl before any of the other backrow options tbh)
Daly would be a slight surprise just because of the versatility and long range kicking option - not sure i'd have him as a starter anywhere but as a 23 option? Been in good form for Saracens as well

Glad I'm not going to France to see England play this year. Just imagine slugging it playing poor quality rugby

Looks like Underhill dropped out.

Still surprised Zach Mercer, Dan Kelly, and Alex Mitchell didn't make it

So the changes are just Underhill and Rodd out?
Seems weird to trim just two players - especially a prop, you'd have thought they'd want to live scrummage against as many different styles as they could in preparation

Edit:
Walking wounded:

Best twitter comment on the squad "Ben Youngs, Borewick is on drugs"

Agree with all above sentiments- staggered that Underhill doesn't even make it to the warm ups for an opportunity.

By far and away our best player when fit.

Some very disappointing decisions for me personally this far in. Thought we'd have some sprinkles of excitement in the selection but that has well and truly been banished.

So the changes are just Underhill and Rodd out?
Seems weird to trim just two players - especially a prop, you'd have thought they'd want to live scrummage against as many different styles as they could in preparation

Edit:
Walking wounded:

Losing just 2 players is odd from an effective squad of 44 when you consider the rehabbers. But individually those decisions may make sense.

In Rodd's case there are still 3 training LHs plus Mako. 5th choice isn't going to get much of a look in.

Underhill's had a tough time, but his track record suggests that he should have been given all the time possible. You can only conclude that he was so far off the pace that it was evident it wasn't worth continuing to invest the time. If that's the case, then I support the decision, but it is a big call so early.

Latest posts