• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Six Nations Squad 2012

I don't know, I didn't watch that match and the highlights I did see didn't show any scrums.
Cole's held up alright, but he's a shadow of his former self and I see nothing wrong with trying someone else out there, especially one on as good form as PDJ.

I don't know, I didn't watch that match and the highlights I did see didn't show any scrums.
Cole's held up alright, but he's a shadow of his former self and I see nothing wrong with trying someone else out there, especially one on as good form as PDJ.

Read the press reports and reports of Scottish fans there and they're unanimous that England were in trouble at the scrum. I don't want to blame that entirely on PDJ, as Slater/Robson are not the heaviest lock pair (particularly Robson, whose name is starting to crop up in a lot of bad scrums), but he can't be excused entirely. Nor do I think you're being fair on Cole really. I seem to recall you were one of the crowd (as was I to an extent) expecting the English scrum to get munched at Murrayfield - it doesn't, it even gets a slight advantage, and now you're saying he merely 'held up alright'? One or the other surely I'd have thought. Those were two very tough scrummaging assignments and England came out slightly on top of both, after most people predicted problems there. What more do you want?

How were we "slightly on top" vs Italy when they won two against the head?
I can't remember us being on top vs Scotland either - to my memory it was pretty much even, maybe even Scotland the slight better due to them flustering Dowson/Youngs at the base.

How were we "slightly on top" vs Italy when they won two against the head?
I can't remember us being on top vs Scotland either - to my memory it was pretty much even, maybe even Scotland the slight better due to them flustering Dowson/Youngs at the base.

One was Rob Webber being a tard when Cole was subbed off anyway and I believe the other was Hartley having a slight hooking malfunction. I believe we got one penalty on our scrum and they got none of theirs, plus we generally went forwards a little while they didn't (once Castro went off in fairness). Also pretty sure we got more penalties and disruption against Scotland than they did against us (Dowson/Youngs may have created their own disruption, but the scrum was stable).

Having just checked espnscrum's commentary: 1 pen and 1 free kick to England, 1 pen to Scotland; 3 pens to England, 0 pens to Italy (and yes, 2 against the head). I'd call that slightly on top.

As much as i rate PDJ, i would not replace Cole. He is playing well enough to keep his place.

However, I am happy he has been called up (should have been sooner) and i would hope he will get on the bench.

Could be a tough day for whoever is picked if the lions front row is re-united... more importantly though, England need a plan of action for when they have the ball because I haven't seen one yet & I hope they don't find one until after Wales leaves twickenham and are on the way home.

Not sure if PDJ is an amazing scrummager, or just plays for Northampton...

I thought Cole played very well against Italy... Olyy you seem to have a downer on him, the only times I can remember Cole looking poor for England was vs Ireland (against ****ing Healy of all people) and one of the group games in the world cup... otherwise, he's a very reliable scrummager.

I thought Cole played very well against Italy... Olyy you seem to have a downer on him, the only times I can remember Cole looking poor for England was vs Ireland (against ****ing Healy of all people) and one of the group games in the world cup... otherwise, he's a very reliable scrummager.

Healy is god, no shame against Cole.

I'm talking more about his form for Tigers, which has been generally poor.
He's been average at best for England after the Summer/Autumn internationals where he first came on to the scene.

Cole should and will keep his place but I would rather PDJ than Stevens on the bench.

Also did anyone see Joseph's try v Quins at weekend?

Really want to see 12. Manu 13. Joseph as soon as possible.

Also did anyone see Joseph's try v Quins at weekend?

Really want to see 12. Manu 13. Joseph as soon as possible.

If Manu can play 12, would be pretty cool.

Apparently Joseph was top of the turnover stats until he was injured. Also pretty cool.

Apparently Sharples and Mears are out injured. Wood probably aint gonna feature in the 6 nations

Shame to hear about Wood - I had an inkling that would be the case when Robshaw was named full time captain.

Shame about Sharples, but he was never going to feature this weekend (unfortunately).

Lucky that Flash and Strettle have looked so lethal in attack and solid in defence...

*snork*

Why do we need Flood and Manu back when our back line is looking so dangerous? I do hope something changes otherwise we are going to be very embarrassed when Wales role in the tries and we can't even retain possession!

I'd want nothing more than England to select the same XV.

Tuilagi, Morgan and to a lesser extent Dickson all offer threats.

Latest posts