• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

How so? Isn't he from the North West? He was in our junior academy before heading to some posho school down south

How so? Isn't he from the North West? He was in our junior academy before heading to some posho school down south

I thought he was from Wigan... until I heard him speak in an interview - definitely Scotch....

CjpmaKFWEAAqXFP.jpg:large

I do get an inkling that the selection of Gary Graham could be a **** you to Scotland.

Cannot believe that Dan Robson is not involved in this tournament. He really couldn't be doing any more, playing such good rugby and far superior to Ben Youngs. For me he has something the others have never had which is the ability to vary his passing length significantly and pick out runners further away. It really does help keep defences guessing. His speed of thought and action is key to our success this season.

You just feel that the only reason Youngs, Haskell and co have been picked is because we've won the previous two tournaments and it can feel difficult to change a winning formula. But for me this is wrong, particularly considering how average we ere in the autumn series. I just suspect that if Ireland had pipped us to the crown last year, Jones might have been making the sorts of changes that will serve us well in the longer term.

Do players personal sponsorship ties play a part in selection? (Serious question)

I hope sponsorship has nothing to do with selection, and you won't find anyone in the RFU that would admit to it. Not saying it is a thing, but its an interesting point

Anyway. EPS and back-row issues. Ben Curry at the back end of last season was in front of Tom. Ben gets injured, Tom does very well replacing him. Now Tom is injured, and Ben is playing well week in week out for an improving Sale team. Why isn't/Wasn't Ben in the training squad? That's what I would like EJ to answer. Fed up of Haskells 'edge' he looked like a bail of hay on the pitch for Wasps yesterday.

I hope sponsorship has nothing to do with selection, and you won't find anyone in the RFU that would admit to it. Not saying it is a thing, but its an interesting point

Anyway. EPS and back-row issues. Ben Curry at the back end of last season was in front of Tom. Ben gets injured, Tom does very well replacing him. Now Tom is injured, and Ben is playing well week in week out for an improving Sale team. Why isn't/Wasn't Ben in the training squad? That's what I would like EJ to answer. Fed up of Haskells 'edge' he looked like a bail of hay on the pitch for Wasps yesterday.

Agree with Haskell, was at the game yesterday and forgot he was playing half the time... I'd imagine Gary Graham is taking Ben's spot, since he knows what the Curry's can do already, he'll just be using the time to get a look at the new guy.

Anyone else feel like Billy looked leaner yesterday? No doubt he's an incredible unit, seemed to be slightly 'trimmed'. Was surprised with his acceleration.

Agree with Haskell, was at the game yesterday and forgot he was playing half the time... I'd imagine Gary Graham is taking Ben's spot, since he knows what the Curry's can do already, he'll just be using the time to get a look at the new guy.

Anyone else feel like Billy looked leaner yesterday? No doubt he's an incredible unit, seemed to be slightly 'trimmed'. Was surprised with his acceleration.

Agreed on Billy. Seemed to be leaner, faster and still capable of destructive ball carrying. Seemed the perfect balance of size and speed, still good in the tight.

Binny did look good. He's the one player above anyone else that we desperately need to be at full tilt when it matters.

I like my players to live a bit on the edge, but that was plain dumb (again) from Marler. Wish Genge was fit.

When's Underhill due back in action?

Eddie has a lot of thinking to do before the 6N kicks off.

It looked like someone would have to be called up in place of Graham.

What do people think of Watson? Watson on the wing at least. I know everyone wants to see him overtake Brown at FB but assuming that doesn't happen, does he deserve to be starting on the wing for England? TBH I'd say not. Other than the Toulon game, when was the last time he did anything really that special? This season May, Lewington, Woodburn, Daly and even his older brother have all been in far better form. We all seem to think of Watson starting as being a given but thinking about his performances for Bath in the last couple of seasons I think you have to question why that is. I'm not condoning dropping him full stop, but maybe giving the likes of Lewington a shot would light the fire under his ass that he really needs ATM. With EJ's eyes set on the RWC, experimenting with one or two new players while putting pressure on our current crop to improve seems like far from a bad idea.

What do people think of Watson? Watson on the wing at least. I know everyone wants to see him overtake Brown at FB but assuming that doesn't happen, does he deserve to be starting on the wing for England? TBH I'd say not. Other than the Toulon game, when was the last time he did anything really that special? This season May, Lewington, Woodburn, Daly and even his older brother have all been in far better form. We all seem to think of Watson starting as being a given but thinking about his performances for Bath in the last couple of seasons I think you have to question why that is. I'm not condoning dropping him full stop, but maybe giving the likes of Lewington a shot would light the fire under his ass that he really needs ATM. With EJ's eyes set on the RWC, experimenting with one or two new players while putting pressure on our current crop to improve seems like far from a bad idea.

Look at the selection of England tries from 2016 and 2017 if you want to see what Watson offers on the wing. Small note, he had the highest strike rate of any NH winger. He offers more of a threat running than Brown, is solid in all the basics of a FB and has good support play running lines off others. I have no problem trying other wingers but I don't think Watson is the weak link there.

Look at the selection of England tries from 2016 and 2017 if you want to see what Watson offers on the wing. Small note, he had the highest strike rate of any NH winger. He offers more of a threat running than Brown, is solid in all the basics of a FB and has good support play running lines off others. I have no problem trying other wingers but I don't think Watson is the weak link there.
I know that last season he had a good try scoring record for England but my point is that recently he's done nothing and that even when he was in good form for England he was poor for Bath, so surely the likes of Lewington could replicate that for England too? I agree on your points about FB entirely, but I'm talking about the wing

Like I said, we shouldn't drop him entirely but what do we have to lose by testing other options? If they work out then great we have more good options, if not then oh well, we still have Watson.

Latest posts