• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Telegraph say Ford starts over F Smith.

'Expected England team: F Steward; E Daly, H Slade, F Dingwall, T Freeman; G Ford, D Care; J Marler, J George, W Stuart, M Itoje, O Chessum, E Roots, S Underhill, B Earl'

Mitchell will be on the bench if he passes a late fitness check if not it will be Spencer.

Telegraph say Ford starts over F Smith.

'Expected England team: F Steward; E Daly, H Slade, F Dingwall, T Freeman; G Ford, D Care; J Marler, J George, W Stuart, M Itoje, O Chessum, E Roots, S Underhill, B Earl'

Mitchell will be on the bench if he passes a late fitness check if not it will be Spencer.

That is the team I would expect SB to pick

He got lucky at the WC with fixtures etc. his issue is that he is binary, his world is black and white. All the best coaches are flexible i.e the value talent, form and playing in their best position as opposed to his spreadsheets which will tell he needs to play x player because they have X caps. As opposed to picking the form player
George Ford has played once or twice in months and looked way of the pace in his last game
Elliot Daly has never been a winger, he was actually a better FB for England. He offers nothing on the wing. Play him at centre if needs to play him.
Early was great at the WC, however let him play great at 7 and play a proper 8.

His selections continue to depress me

I don't know what it is about England but they always seem to select the most boring, risk adverse, bang average team they can. If you can't start F Smith against Italy then when can you start him? Mental to start Ford who's looked dog shite.
Also Daly and Steward, makes me sick. We only need one of those.

4 more years of misery from SB. If we just kick kick kick against Italy, I can see them beating us. They'll want to impress their new coach and England will be too scared to do anything other than kick kick kick.

I don't know what it is about England but they always seem to select the most boring, risk adverse, bang average team they can. If you can't start F Smith against Italy then when can you start him? Mental to start Ford who's looked dog shite.
Also Daly and Steward, makes me sick. We only need one of those.

4 more years of misery from SB. If we just kick kick kick against Italy, I can see them beating us. They'll want to impress their new coach and England will be too scared to do anything other than kick kick kick.
Honestly, I'm not sure where the spark is going to come from with that team. Freeman won't get the ball. Ford and Care will kick it far too much. Guess hope is Slade might try something when he gets it.

Calm down ladies...

What did you expect from SB, a total restructure, new gameplan and high risk rugby?

If he loses 4 games this tourney he'll be under the cosh already. He doesnt have the good will Gats has at Wales.

Steward, Daly, Ford were all going to start, why risk a massive Italy loss when you can ease less experience players into Int rugby?!

Calm down ladies...

What did you expect from SB, a total restructure, new gameplan and high risk rugby?

If he loses 4 games this tourney he'll be under the cosh already. He doesnt have the good will Gats has at Wales.

Steward, Daly, Ford were all going to start, why risk a massive Italy loss when you can ease less experience players into Int rugby?!
Is suspect the RFU do not have the money to both sack him and offer the full range of Hybrid contracts. If he is sacked then they won't be as many hybrid contracts

Calm down ladies...

A positive step forward. It feels like most selections are forced rather than by choice. I don't think Dingwall, Roots would be in contention if it wasn't for injuries. Freeman is the only one who would be purely selected on merit ahead of others and he could well end up like OHC if he isn't given the ball.

Calm down ladies...

Same excuse people gave last 6N and during the world cup - are we supposed to just walk on egg shells the entirety of SBs tenure because for some reason he's the only coach in international rugby not allowed to take a risk?

Jesus...

You English fans just cant be satisfied!

Borthwicks 2023 must have been an 8/10 minimum, with Fiji friendly a blemish.

Me, I'd judge SB on how he transitions from having a very solid first season, to building for the next RWC phase.

Jesus...

Me, I'd judge SB on how he transitions from having a very solid first season, to building for the next RWC phase.
4th in the Six Nations? Even acknowledging the quality of Ireland and France, that's hardly 8/10...

Not to mention losing 3/4 RWC warm up matches. As pleased as I was with the RWC end result, the road to the semi-final was about as easy as it could have been and still felt like hard work. Nearly losing to Samoa in the pool stage, for example.

Jesus...

2023 was definitely not an 8/10, not even close. It was probably a 4. Over half of our wins were against tier 2 opposition. You then have 2 against a Welsh side misfiring as badly as us, 1 against Italy and 1 against a misfiring Argentina. Of, of the sides we beat, 2 of them (Wales and Fiji) also beat us, with Fiji being for the first time ever and Samoa nearly being for the first time ever. We also got a record defeat against France. I don't think breaking 2 worst records and struggling hard against nearly all tier 1 teams and even some tier 2 teams is an 8/10 performance at all. Hell if it wasn't for us thumping Chile 71-0 we would have finished the year with a negative points difference, I don't think that has ever happened in our history so that would have been yet another worst ever record he held, all achieved in a year. This off the back of Jones racking up some worst ever records in his final year too shows just how bad England have been.

Calm down ladies...

When else could he put them in? At home to Wales maybe. Or ease then in at Murrayfield or in France. Maybe ease them in against Ireland.

He's current win ration is around 56%. I don't entirely blame Borthwick some of the players haven't played as well as expected. Other than not playing the All Blacks his win ratio against the other top six teams is zero i believe. Maybe that's where we are at right now the 5th or 6th best team in the world. Which i think is probably about right.

Jesus...

Why would we be satisfied watching dull low risk attack devoid rugby with absolutely no ambition, choosing players based on something which is far from form, we have very different ideas about solid, World Cup aside (draw clearly favourable), it was a terrible year full of negative firsts. 6 Nations proceeding WCs are always a bit lifeless, if we blood some new players and try a few things and get a performance im actually not overly fussed, going steady last time out against France hardly prevented a hiding at HQ.

And the England results were SB's fault, not SB having to turn around a sinking ship?

What exactly were you guys expecting last season, a 6N ***le, win your warm ups and a RWC win?

There were a lot of people talking about England not getting out of the group. Truth is SB needed to use the 6N and warm ups as a tool, and his RWC performance was stand out.

Come RWC warm ups, ask Ireland whether they wanted a stuttering run to a semi, or beat the best team in the world in the groups, anhialate everyone in front of them and crash out in a quarter.

England are currently the best performing 6N team!

And the England results were SB's fault, not SB having to turn around a sinking ship?

What exactly were you guys expecting last season, a 6N ***le, win your warm ups and a RWC win?

There were a lot of people talking about England not getting out of the group. Truth is SB needed to use the 6N and warm ups as a tool, and his RWC performance was stand out.

Come RWC warm ups, ask Ireland whether they wanted a stuttering run to a semi, or beat the best team in the world in the groups, anhialate everyone in front of them and crash out in a quarter.

England are currently the best performing 6N team!
No we shouldn't be losing to record scores or Fiji at home. Over the last 18 months given the level of opposition please explain how we are performing better than Ireland. Other than we beat a lower ranked team in the quaters and then lost to a team Ireland beat at the world cup.

Do you honestly think we are better than Ireland and France currently. I admire you optimistic outlook but that would be a reach.

England will go well this 6n...im going to say 2nd..with the defeat coming from France

Latest posts