• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Mitchell Smith Freeman Dingwall Slade Daly/Waboso/Roebuck Steward

Seeks most likely now and with all them i wouldnt be surprised to see Furbank on the bench with Care and 1 of 3 three wingers picked.

I rate Ford bit his form is just not good enough.

TBH, I'd have had Finn to start anyway.
Still wanted Marcus on the bench though - really hope it's not serious

Times saying the better 10 called Smith may be out for the whole tournament, but defo Italy, with a calf injury

I had a brief moment of panic then before i realised you mixed up your better 10's called Smith.
This is going to be like when a bunch of criminally anti quins people compared Umaga to my philipino goat before admitting they were moronic to say it.

You'll all realise eventually that you all just hate fun and good rugby.

Not obvious who the next 10 off the line would be. Orlando Bailey's been involved before but doesn't strike me as close to international quality.

I expect we'll see another centre/back three option brought in and Furbank to do some training at 10 (if he hasn't been already).

Yeah I don't think they'd call up a 10 (partly because there isn't another one)

Most likely, I'd have thought, would be Furbank as 3rd choice 10 and either another centre (Joseph? Kelly?) or fullback (Hodge? Carpenter?)

There is though - it's a matter of quality.
MVunipola, Bailey, Skinner, Shilcock, CAtkinson, Barton, KWilkinson all exist, none are as good as our top 4 or 5 options (which is why they're 6th choice at best).

How good is anyone's 6th choice FH? Going down that far will test anyone's depth.

Last edited:
Shows the lack of the depth then that there is not a replacement for an injured player available.
Which country has 5+ international ready flyhalves?

We could drop in someone like Charlie Atkinson to hold tackle bags but better to have Ford and F.Smith as flyhalves, Furbank (and maybe even Slade) as emergency cover and bring in someone with a better chance of getting game time

FWIW France, Scotland and Italy all have two flyhalves in their squad, and Wales' third flyhalf has played most his rugby in the backline

Which country has 5+ international ready flyhalves?

We could drop in someone like Charlie Atkinson to hold tackle bags but better to have Ford and F.Smith as flyhalves, Furbank (and maybe even Slade) as emergency cover and bring in someone with a better chance of getting game time

FWIW France, Scotland and Italy all have two flyhalves in their squad, and Wales' third flyhalf has played most his rugby in the backline
Scotland had three, now down to two through injury unless you count Kinghorn, then we go from four to three

Scotland had three, now down to two through injury unless you count Kinghorn, then we go from four to three
Yeah, that's what I mean - have two flyhalves and a player who can also cover from elsewhere is pretty standard, no need to panic if England don't call up another one

Something is dramatically wrong with player preparation and training in England. Barring a couple of injuries or a retirement I could accurately name Ireland and Frances XV with relative accuracy
England XV is a lucky dip, it's been the same since 2003. We are missing an entire sides worth this time.

Something is dramatically wrong with player preparation and training in England. Barring a couple of injuries or a retirement I could accurately name Ireland and Frances XV with relative accuracy
England XV is a lucky dip, it's been the same since 2003. We are missing an entire sides worth this time.
Think this is a little unfair. In terms of the starting XV I'd feel confident that we see:
1. Marler
2. George
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Chessum
Backrow: I'd expect to see both Earl and Underhill start. The 3rd spot is unknown but 3 of Borthwick's RWC squad have become unavailable (Lawes, Curry, Ludlam) so the lack of consistency here is out of his hands.
9. Mitchell
10. Could see Borthwick going with either Ford or Smith here but again, his 1st choice (Farrell) has become unavailable so the lack of consistency is once again not really Borthwick's fault.
Centres: Pretty sure we'll see Lawrence-Slade but even if we don't then all 3 of Borthwick's RWC centres are unavailable (Tuilagi, Marchant, Lawrence).
11. Daly
14. Could be any one of a few but 3 of Borthwick's original RWC wingers have become unavailable (May, Watson, Arundell).
15. Steward.

That's 10 players that I'm pretty sure will start (12 including Dingwall and Slade) and all inconsistencies are caused by players being injured/moving abroad. We've had a very high amount of squad turnover but I don't think that's down to preparation or training.

This was kind of my point regarding my Cole and Marler comments...

Smaller nations are forced to build and develop players, allowing them more time to grow, whereas England have the luxury of the production line of talent, and can replace more easily.

Latest posts