• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

If Borthwick's real ideal fullback priority is defence and good in the air. He must have been off his meds selecting Smith.

Not convinced Borthwick would scapegoat a guy he relied on in the prem to help win a ***le either.

I think people are understanding Furbank in the air and his defence. While steward is better in the air the rest of his game isn't good enough to compete at that top end on agility and pace. Maybe he works on it but with the state of the tigers backs I doubt he'll improve much there with the current set up.

If Borthwick's real ideal fullback priority is defence and good in the air. He must have been off his meds selecting Smith.

Not convinced Borthwick would scapegoat a guy he relied on in the prem to help win a ***le either.

Honestly I feel was more trying too appease the public. On Steward he dropped him like a lead balloon despite him arguably being one of Englands decent players early six nations

You got to remember Coaches and players had to beg Borthwick to do attack training

Last edited:
Just the 4 vice captains.

Can only look at this as a warm up for the NZ games. Down there we'll find out what some of those players are really made of. Can't deny that a team with Martin, CCS and Underhill is heading in the right direction in the physicality stakes for the big games although might not enjoy Japan so much if they revert to harem scarem stereotype.

Honestly I feel was more trying too appease the public. On Steward he dropped him like a lead balloon despite him arguably being one of Englands decent players early six nations

You got to remember Coaches and players had to beg Borthwick to do attack training
You think it's more likely that Borthwick was trying to appease the public rather than Freddie just not being the best FB in England?

Really?

The vision, pace and attacking threat Furbank offers are miles of FS. It makes a massive difference to the team and their shape. Whether it's Furbank or another, they have to be an attacking option as well as having solid basics.

I think for me he never got a chance to show what he can do with an attacking England.

No one can tell me that Furbank was that key to England actually trying to play attacking rugby.
Borthwick wanted a scapegoat imo
Really the only reason Steward has prob been brought is because deep down Borthwick wants to return to that style
I really dont think Steward has been used as a scapegoat at all, at the WC he used Smith at FB, and now he has put Furbank as first choice. This says to me simply that he wants more pace and playmaking ability at FB therefore he has found player that best fits the style SB wants us to play.

Furbank isnt the key to how we play but he fits the way we want to play, therefore Furbank over Steward.

Steward does lack abit of pace and has been found wanting in defence sometimes and doesnt have the attacking threat. His USP or solid under the highball and powerfull are just less in demand. For the record i like Steward alot and do think he is a great player worthy of being in the england squad but right now Furbank fits the style of play better so thats that.

I really dont think Steward has been used as a scapegoat at all, at the WC he used Smith at FB, and now he has put Furbank as first choice. This says to me simply that he wants more pace and playmaking ability at FB therefore he has found player that best fits the style SB wants us to play.

Furbank isnt the key to how we play but he fits the way we want to play, therefore Furbank over Steward.

Steward does lack abit of pace and has been found wanting in defence sometimes and doesnt have the attacking threat. His USP or solid under the highball and powerfull are just less in demand. For the record i like Steward alot and do think he is a great player worthy of being in the england squad but right now Furbank fits the style of play better so thats that.
Maybe Steward should reinvent himself as a 12!!!
Power and kicking game to offer Smith options. Add Lawrence at 13 and very powerful partnership offering go forward.

Didn't this happen before and it ended up being nothing other than running him in that position for some set piece moves?
Yes but the article, behind a pay wall, said they're doing it so we can play a 6-2 split on the bench.

It's guff. Can't trust the telegraph even on rugby these days. Charlie Morgan is still decent for analysis, but he's definitely writing news for clicks more, while Charles Richardson writes like the secret demonic lovechild of Steven Jones, Robert Kitson and Stuart Barnes, he's abject.

Last edited:
Downloaded rugby pass on my phone just incase I am awake for the game but my son won't be able to watch it at home as the app isn't on ps4. Silly really.

Is it not on there Youtube channel?
It might be, but I wouldn't bet on it - they want you to create an account.

Sadly, my usual go-to for the SIs (Tewkesbury RFC) aren't showing the matches.
Sky want £1,000 to show the two in NZ, and don't seem to think they'll make that back behind the bar at 8.00am :( (especially as the oven/hob has apparently died, so they can't sell HT breakfasts as they usually do)

Sky have previously started at £1,000 for an international window, but been willing to negotiate down; but not this year.
Not sure why they're not showing the Japan match, but I suspect their minds are "The SI window" rather than match by match.

Last edited:

Latest posts