• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squad announced monday?

Come on...for a laugh what team do you think will run out v Scotland.

"One of them said to me, 'I was misquoted in the media because what I said was I was disappointed for Eddie but I wasn't disappointed in the RFU decision but that was reported as I'm disappointed in the decision'. So the ones I spoke to got the overall situation."

Think he's dobbed in Faz a bit there. From what I remember, and from what the article says, Farrell was the only player to call the decision disappointing, specifically.

Squad announced monday?

Genge (C)
George
Sinkler
Itoje
Ribbans
Lawes
J Willis
Dombrandt

Youngs
Farrell
Hassell-Collins - (Bit of a punt)
Manu
Slade
Watson
Steward

McGuigan
Rapava-Ruskin
Cole
J Hill
Earl
van Poortvliet
Smith
Lawrence

"One of them said to me, 'I was misquoted in the media because what I said was I was disappointed for Eddie but I wasn't disappointed in the RFU decision but that was reported as I'm disappointed in the decision'. So the ones I spoke to got the overall situation."

Think he's dobbed in Faz a bit there. From what I remember, and from what the article says, Farrell was the only player to call the decision disappointing, specifically.

Why would he even say that to the press Sweeney?
Just say something like everyone is on the same wavelength now and we are looking towards the RWC.

Instead of this poor attempt to cover his arse

Why would he even say that to the press Sweeney?
Just say something like everyone is on the same wavelength now and we are looking towards the RWC.

Instead of this poor attempt to cover his arse
It was part of the 2 hour good bad rugby podcast tbf. Hask was saying about how none of the players wanted Eddie gone and they had a chat about how the players were disappointed for Jones but understood the decision.

Was natural in the context

Ok ill go...

1 Genge
2 George
3 Sinckler
4 Itoje
5 Ribbans - Playing the best of the rest of the options.
6 T. Hill - (i dont think Lawes is ready yet after his concussions etc)
7 Earl
8 Billy V - Think he'll go with familiarity.

9 JVP
10 Farrell
11 May
12 Kelly
13 Slade - (I'd go with Lawrence but think he'll pick the play maker at 13. )
14 Freeman
15 Steward

Chessum will be on the bench

Last edited:
It was part of the 2 hour good bad rugby podcast tbf. Hask was saying about how none of the players wanted Eddie gone and they had a chat about how the players were disappointed for Jones but understood the decision.

Was natural in the context

I haven't heard the pod but that just doesn't ring true.

None of them? From a set up that clearly wasn't functioning? From a team where some didn't get a look in as others, patently out of form, held their place regardless? Under a volatile / temperamental head coach?

Private thoughts and public utterances may be 2 very different things. Maybe there's also an element of countering Jones saying that over 50 players had got in touch to say they were sorry he'd gone (some will have genuinely meant it, some will be leaving card type platitudes, others will want to keep him onside figuring he might be a useful contact in future).

I doubt 'the players' collectively had a view. More likely some highly polarised opinions.

Squad announced monday?

Think we'll see:

Genge
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Hill
J Willis
Lawes (c)
T Willis
Youngs
Farrell
May
Manu
Slade
Watson
Steward

Using the Tigers model I think he may go for a 'proper' 7 and I think he'll see Earl as more ball player than down and dirty. So toss up between J Willis (if fit) and B Curry. Although Curry's the form horse, I think Willis will get the nod as he's previously been involved (and may quite enjoy playing with the 8).

Given he likes Wiese at Tigers I think he may be drawn to T Willis as the closest proxy. Sounds like he'll be in the squad and I'm guessing he could be the wild card.

Behind I actually think he'll go a bit conservative to start with. Important to get off to a controlled start and for him to see whether the old guard were the wrong players or the right players waiting for the right coach to get a tune out of them. JVP obvs to come on and become the starting 9 during the tournament. May's position under threat, but I think Borthwick will start him.

Reactions: BPM
Smith starting for Quins on Sunday
Good to see him back, but if you're a club coach you've just got love that….

Lose him for the whole AIs. Picks up injury in 2nd half of final AI. Back for a couple of weeks to blow off the inevitable rust and cobwebs before vanishing to the 6N, and quite possibly bench warming duty.

Rumour is pack gonna be
1. Genge, 2. George, 3. Cole
4. Itoje, 5. Hill
6. Isiekwe, 7. Lawes, 8. Chessum
Futurama Squinting GIF

I'm honestly really concerned about Courtney Lawes and I'm not sure he should play again. Listening to the warning tap on the shoulder from the Grim Reaper is always prudent.
Player safety is paramount. From a selfish pov I was hoping his recovery would take a while longer. As we just have so many better options at 6 . It's a crying shame that in an area of absolute strength we are playing a very good converted lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts