• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Parks retires!

Great shame to leave like this, definitely not how any international would want to end their career.

Probably the right time, but can't help but feel this is driven by bashing in the press... Oh well.

He was a solid, if not exceptional player. Hope the rest of his career is successful

i have more respect for him now though... i mean the guy swallowed his pride and did what he thought was best or the country and what the fans wanted why else would he retire early like this? although technically Australian id say he is a scot through and through just a shame he never got the ball moving

We will rejoice becue he will be leaving us and going to either Edinburgh or Glasgow in the summer that why we have bought Tovey.

I'm not sure he'd go to a Scottish side now that his international career is over.
He may not be particularly rated, but he's an experienced international and I bet there's a French side interested in him, or maybe a Japanese side.

Very strange timing. I can see why he'd perhaps announce this after the tournament but it all seems a bit rash really...

Will echo what many have said, coaches who pick him know full well the style of rugby he plays and the success rate of it. Great tactical kicker, will put you in good positions and not bad at a drop goal.

From a Cardiff perspective, I also imagine this means a fond farewell as its contract up, no money in the pot and a Welsh youngster arriving in the squad.

Rep for everyone!

But no, seriously. If I ever get the chance to meet Dan Parks, I would shake his hand and thank him for his services to Scotland.

He may never have been the best player, but was nowhere near the worst. He tried hard, maybe lacking in the tackling department, but I am sure it had nothing to do with laziness. Professional attitude, thought he still had something to offer Scotland, tried and failed. Not his fault he was selected, if ever asked to represent your country* (yes yes, I know), and ou feel you have something to offer, well then you should make the effort. If it doesn't work out, well then you have the balls to acknowledge it.

All the best in the rest of your life, Mr Parks. <3

At least he went out in a blaze of glory.

Oh wait, hold on...

My favourite moment of Dan's international career

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very shocked at the timing of this to be honest, he says he contemplated retiring BEFORE 6 Nations but decided against it, then 3 days after that 1st game, he decides to retire so why before this tournament, didn't he just retire instead of playing that match.

Oh well, thats Parks gone, now for Robinson to follow after 6 Nations hopefully.

Agree with most of the people saying they feel sorry for him. Seems that while there is no doubt he was probably not what Scotland needed, he did give it his all.

Come to think of it, the worst part was straight after his kick got charged down.

He was alone, no one went to him to gee him up, tell him to forget about it. Isolated. Had that happen to somehow else and Parks was in the vicinity, he would have gone to him and at least tried to encourage him.

Yet another reason why Ford should not be captain.

67 appearances for Scotland and scored 266 points

Is that right? That's just under 4 points a game for an International flyhalf? I know Paterson kicked most of the time but crickey that's low.

I do have some sympathy for Parks but I dont understand the "he did his best" merchants to be honest. I'm not debating the fact that he did but we are talking about the very highest level of Rugby "doing your best" doesnt cut it unless you are peforming to an acceptable standard. If I was picked at 10 for Scotland I'd do my best but I dare say my performance would be questioned (at least by some).

This seems to be endemic of sport in the uk not just rugby but all sports. We seem to have a notion that taking part and doing our best is somehow as good as winning. In other countries i.e U.S and Australia/ NZ there is a mentality that anything less than winning is a bad result. Having spent time in those 3 countries around developing athletes (especially rugby players in Aus and NZ) The mentality that is instilled seemed to be second place is first loser. (Obviously there is a much bigger focus on participation in the younger age groups which by the way practice full contact from under 9 level).

Is it just me What do we think?

great news for scotland fans. not such great news for welsh fans though.
he said in his press conference that he was planning on retiring after the world cup but couldn't resist another crack at england.
Jacko was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business
that makes it seem like he was going to retire this week no matter what happened last weekend, i find that a bit hard to believe.

I do have some sympathy for Parks but I dont understand the "he did his best" merchants to be honest. I'm not debating the fact that he did but we are talking about the very highest level of Rugby "doing your best" doesnt cut it unless you are peforming to an acceptable standard. If I was picked at 10 for Scotland I'd do my best but I dare say my performance would be questioned (at least by some).

This seems to be endemic of sport in the uk not just rugby but all sports. We seem to have a notion that taking part and doing our best is somehow as good as winning. In other countries i.e U.S and Australia/ NZ there is a mentality that anything less than winning is a bad result. Having spent time in those 3 countries around developing athletes (especially rugby players in Aus and NZ) The mentality that is instilled seemed to be second place is first loser. (Obviously there is a much bigger focus on participation in the younger age groups which by the way practice full contact from under 9 level).

I see your point but you are talking top level sport here. You need an ethos at mini and low junior level that rugby is for all and everyone should paly and have a go. I don't think any country in the world that has a decent youth system starts beating them over the head very young with your not good enough you are cut from the team. At first you have to attract kids into playing and you do that by making it fun. The ones who like the game will stick with it and progress and as they develop then you start installing desire and the will to win. Then those that are not good at it do not make it, you don't make it to the level of Parks without being good and having desire.

I don't agree with the no first second third places at schools sports days as the other kids feel bad. I do think you still need to show the kids that being the good or the best has it's merrits. Yet you stil need to balance that with it being fun and open to all. Once you step up levels the desire to win and be the best gets higher, there is a hugh gap between social rugby and the Prem. Yet even most of the big lumps in my vets team would take winning anyday. It is just at the level they are, they would sooner just be having a laugh and taking part more than winning as the taking part is what's important to them.

I am sure Parks is a winner and a very bad loser but you have to look at the team and the tools at his disposal. I am sure at least most of the tier one teams went to the RWC with a will to win. The reason they did not is a different arguement around tactics coaching, selections etc and all countries have had debates as to why they did not perform as expected.

To play at the level of Parks you still have to be very, very good if not you would not suceed at making a living as at the end of the day it is a job. The fact remains that compared to others and like many Parks was just not good enough. Take Andy Murray as an example, regardless of my personal feelings about him. The guy is a winner and I am sure he wants to be the best. I doubt he will ever be world number one for the simple fact you have three other guys who are as good as him and normaly better. It does not take away his talent and his desire to be the best the fact remains he still is just not good enough.

I couldn't agree more. "Trying your best" should be a given at this level. It's nothing to do with that, international rugby players should be selected based upon how good they are at their given role.

On the subject of a winning mentality, and as a bit of an aside... Ayrton Senna used to become an introvert if he lost a race. He found it difficult to deal with and refused to speak to people. It was bordering on obsessive. I guess it's what drove him to be the most talented driver of all time. That's a bit of a digression though, my point is that historically, the pig-headed, arrogant and obstinant sportsmen that refuse to accept defeat or "chalk it up" are the ones that go on to achieve things.

Poor chap, it's ironic that his slowness to clear was charged down by Calamity Hodgson of all people, it's usually him that gets that sort of treatment. Please hurry up and get fit Toby Flood.

Parks had a shocker if we're being honest and is no credible replacement for Patterson.