• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Parks retires!

Although I know he's really rubbish, this makes things easier for Sunday.

Wow, didn't see that coming, being mid tournament and all. I actually feel kind of bad for him, it's not a great way to sign off internationally is it?

All the best Dan. Was treating terribly by the Scottish fans, fair enough he is not great but always gave 100 %.

I just don't think he could stomach the prospect of being picked against us, and going through the same rigmarole yet again.

Cardiff fans rejoice! He's free to concentrate on his club career!

This is a welcome oppourtunity for Jackson and Laidlaw, hopefully they can take this and run with it(literally and metaphorically) however it leaves a huge hole at the position of scapegoat.

Whatever people say about Parks the man could kick a ball. I always admired how he could place the ball on a penny and especially when he kicked for touch the ball went out and usually landed about 2 meters from the touch line. Of course he will be remembered for the last few appearances and he kicking was not the best against England, but if he had taken the ball closer to the gain line throughout his career he could have been a very solid all-round out-half.

Definatley surprised by that, think he must have seen comments made, heard the fans. As much as I didnt rate the guy it's not good for him to retire like this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/07/scotland-dan-parks-retires-international-rugby

I
'm not sure why there's all the Parks bashing to be honest. Like Ayrshire Warrior stated, He always gave 100%.
From his own words, "[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the auld enemy, Jacko was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business." He should have, if he had the thought, done this prior to the 6 Nations to create less drama, and let the younger generation give it a go against the "auld Enemy." That's a personal integrity issue, but fair enough he at least admitted it to the press and fans.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Regardless, Best of luck to him!

[/FONT]

I've been blasted on here on a probably quarterly basis for defending Parks, I think Scotland's issues run FAR deeper than just him. I think it is time for him to go, but mid tournament does seem a bit sad.

Everyone must remember that it wasn't Parks that selected him to play, it was Robinson. All Parks tried to do what his job whilst on the pitch and did it in the method he knew best.

I'm surprised, and like above, feel sorry for the guy.

He wasn't a bad rugby player, he just excelled at an unattractive (though often useful/successful) brand of rugby.

I remember a few Six Nations ago (2009?) he had a great tournament and rightly got a lot of praise for his performances.

However this is great news for Scotland, looking forward - Laidlaw and Jackson must be ecstatic.

Last edited:
I'm surprised, and like above, feel sorry for the guy.

He wasn't a bad rugby player, he just excelled at an unattractive (though often useful/successful) brand of rugby.

I remember a few Six Nations ago (2009?) he had a great tournament and rightly got a lot of praise for his performances.

2012, outstanding v wales drop goal from 1/2 way out in corner, won us the match in ireland at their last ever match at croke park, argentina tour outstanding and south africa at murrayfield outstanding. unfortunatly these are the only good games i remember from him

Latest posts