TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
DanLydiatePTC1SB.jpg

Wednesday 21st​ March 2012â€" Wales flanker Dan Lydiate has today been announced as the RBS Player of the Championship of the 2012 RBS 6 Nations. Over 30,000 votes were registered, almost double the 2011 number of votes. Wales players dominated the shortlist of 12 names, with Sam Warburton, Alex Cuthbert and Mike Philips all represented in the shortlist alongside Newport Gwent Dragons star Lydiate.

On receiving the Trophy, Lydiate commented:

“I am really surprised to be honest. I am genuinely chuffed to bits.â€
“It tops off an amazing competition for me and for Wales. To be part of such a talented Wales team and win the Grand Slam in Cardiff on Saturday was incredible in itself but to then be voted Player of the Championship is absolutely unbelievable.â€

“It is a massive honour to win, especially given the quality of the other players up for the award. Thanks to everyone who voted for me, it means a lot.â€
The 2012 RBS Player of the Championship was decided as a result of a public vote, hosted on www.rbs6nations.com. The shortlist was compiled of winners of the RBS Man of the Match award chosen by the host broadcasters from the first four weekends. Lydiate had been named Man of the Match in Wales’ match against Scotland in the second weekend of the Championship. He also received the honour for his stand-out performance against France on Saturday as Wales sealed their third Grand Slam in eight years.

Dan Lydiate won his RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship Award securing over 25% of the vote, whilst Jonathan Sexton came in second with 12%. Sexton was closely followed by Italian captain Sergio Parisse in third, with 11.6% of the vote.

6 Nations Media

BS 6 Nations Player of the Championship Shortlist
[TABLE="width: 35%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
  1. Dan Lydiate (Wales)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Sergio Parisse (Italy)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. David Denton (Scotland)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Donnacha Ryan (Ireland)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Yoann Maestri (France)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Sam Warburton (Wales)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Alex Cuthbert (Wales)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Mike Phillips (Wales)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Ross Rennie (Scotland)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Imanol Harinordoquy (France)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  1. Julien Malzieu (France)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Total votes â€" 30,044
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

RBS Player of the Championship â€" previous winners

2011 â€" Andrea Masi
2010 â€" Tommy Bowe
2009 â€" Brian O’Driscoll
2008 â€" Shane Williams
2007 â€" Brian O’Driscoll
2006 â€" Brian O’Driscoll

Right decision made. Lydiate was our best forward in each game but on Saturday he was everywhere.

Fair enough - he had a great Six Nations, culminating in an outstanding performance vs France.
Would've liked to have seen it go to Rennie or Denton, but I've no arguments with Lydiate.

Fair enough - he had a great Six Nations, culminating in an outstanding performance vs France.
Would've liked to have seen it go to Rennie or Denton, but I've no arguments with Lydiate.

Maybe if Scotland had the capability win a game rennie or denton would have won haha

Results should have nothing to do with it, it's individual performances - otherwise it'd be "Which side was the best in the tournament?".

still no ferris :p

but seriously if he keeps this up the lions could have a tasty battle for the 6 shirt, and sadly for me the ferris might come off worse!

Croft will be battling for the 6. Shirt as well so nothings guaranteed. Croft is the most athletic and catlike of the three

Fully deserved thought he had a great tournament and was probably along with Halfpenny our best player throughout.

Latest posts