• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Round 7

One side effect I see of harsher penalties, is seeing the sort of crap Deysel was doing only beggining to happen more. I don't want to see punches being thrown around willy-nilly but I also don't want to see guys constantly provoking in order to draw cards and suspensions. Thats the sort of thing that goes on in Association Football and it's abosloutely awful to watch when it happens.

You bring Deysel up to the commissioner as well then. Even if Sinclair was provoked, it is his choice to punch.

Now anybody who strikes Botes, they are done in my book.

One thing they should address more though is the stamping at the ruck. I see it so often and it is disgusting. The pushing and shoving is alright but stamping and punching should be a 6-week ban, easy as that.

One thing they should address more though is the stamping at the ruck. I see it so often and it is disgusting. The pushing and shoving is alright but stamping and punching should be a 6-week ban, easy as that.

If you mean stamping on trapped players, then yes.
If the opposition player has his hand on the ball, then the scrumhalf should be allowed to stick his boot in, though.

Stick your booth in, yes. Stamping, even in the second case is not normal. Just try to shift the leg/hand/foot/arm gently in stead of stamping and basically assaulting someone. You can break a leg, hand, foot or arm by doing so.

Stick your booth in, yes. Stamping, even in the second case is not normal. Just try to shift the leg/hand/foot/arm gently in stead of stamping and basically assaulting someone. You can break a leg, hand, foot or arm by doing so.

Within limits, it is refreshing to see a little scrumhalf scare the 'big' forwards. Richie Rees would do that; he is a piece of work (good to see).

You bring Deysel up to the commissioner as well then. Even if Sinclair was provoked, it is his choice to punch.

Now anybody who strikes Botes, they are done in my book.

I'm not saying Siclair is innocent he received a red card which cost his team dearly that game and was well deserved, I do agree with the citing commisioner though, there were mitigating circumstances and in this case the sending off is enough, Sinclair has an exemplary disciplinary record before this as well.

I think the citing of every single act that goes on is getting a bit much these days, often times the red card is enough punishment. Unless these are repeat offences, or something the officals missed or are so egregious that something has to be done.

I'm not saying Siclair is innocent he received a red card which cost his team dearly that game and was well deserved, I do agree with the citing commisioner though, there were mitigating circumstances and in this case the sending off is enough, Sinclair has an exemplary disciplinary record before this as well.

I think the citing of every single act that goes on is getting a bit much these days, often times the red card is enough punishment. Unless these are repeat offences, or something the officals missed or are so egregious that something has to be done.
I see what you are saying LG, there are indeed other factors.
My issue is that the time dealt out can vary wildly depending on the commissioner. A time needs to be set, and then other factors are looked into. Otherwise we get odd length bans and plenty of confusion. Look at some of the questionable ban lengths that the AP hands out to England squad members.

If Deysel was indeed a large factor (and I think he was), then he should be culpable and also punished.

I see what you are saying LG, there are indeed other factors.
My issue is that the time dealt out can vary wildly depending on the commissioner. A time needs to be set, and then other factors are looked into. Otherwise we get odd length bans and plenty of confusion. Look at some of the questionable ban lengths that the AP hands out to England squad members.

If Deysel was indeed a large factor (and I think he was), then he should be culpable and also punished.

The inconsistency is indeed maddening.

And to steal someone's post off of rugbydump I always think of this as well(this quote refers to the Greyling incident)

"I really don't understand these Citings for yellow cards. This was clearly in front of the touchjudge, who saw it and decided it was worth a yellow. If it is due more than the 10 minutes then surely it should be a red. How is it justifiable to ban a player for an extended period but to allow him back on minutes after the original offence - please could someone explain the logic, I've been trying to work it out for years. "

Well, the solution for that is being tested this year. In the Currie Cup, the TMO can now be called upon for:

- A try scored
- A forward pass leading up to the try
- Foul Play

A TMO can decide now, exactly what we saw in the Natal-WP game.

I think it's more the fear of refs to hand out red cards in the middle of a game, I expect the TMO changes to not affect this much at all.

When foul play is suspected or mentioned, the referee will call on the TMO, who can make a good decision. On top of that, in most stadiums the referee can see the footage on the big screen, making him able to judge as well.

When foul play is suspected or mentioned, the referee will call on the TMO, who can make a good decision. On top of that, in most stadiums the referee can see the footage on the big screen, making him able to judge as well.

This will help in off the ball incidents, but I can't see it changing things like the Greyling incident from last week which was clearly seen by the tough judge who immediately and without hesitation recommended a yellow card , while after game the DC than recommended a two week ban.

Well, you can never get everything right. Just doesn't work that way. I feel the extended TMO responsibilities are a big step forward, especially when you consider football not even having a TMO.

Golden Lions:
15. Andries Coetzee, 14. Deon Helberg, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Alwyn Hollenbach/Jaco Taute, 11. Ruan Combrinck, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Michael Bondesio, 8. Warren Whiteley, 7. Willie Britz, 6. Cobus Grobbelaar, 5. Franco Van der Merwe, 4. Michael Rhodes/Etienne Oosthuizen, 3. Jacobie Adriaanse, 2. Callie Visagie, 1. JC Janse van Rensburg ©

Replacements:
16. Bandise Maku, 17. Ruan Dreyer, 18. Etienne Oosthuizen/Ruan Botha, 19. Jaco Kriel, 20. Ross Cronje, 21. Butch James, 22. Jaco Taute/Dylan des Fountain.

Natal Sharks
15. Louis Ludik, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Tim Whitehead, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Riaan Viljoen, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Jean Deysel , 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Anton Bresler, 4. Steven Sykes, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Craig Burden, 1. Dale Chadwick

Replacements:
16 Monde Hadebe, 17 Julian Redelinghuys, 18 Jandre Marais, 19 Brynard Stander, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Paul Jordaan, 22 Sibusiso Sithole

Blue Bulls:
15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ. Engelbrecht, 12. Francois Venter, 11. Sampie Mastriet, 10. Louis Fouché, 9. Jano Vermaak, 8. Arno Botha, 7. Jacques Potgieter, 6. Dewald Potgieter ©, 5. Franco Mostert, 4. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 3. Werner Kruger, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Mornè Mellett

Replacements:
16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Frik Kirsten, 18. Cornell Hess, 19. CJ Stander, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Lionel Cronjè, 22. Ulrich Beyers

Free State Cheetahs:
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Nico Scheepers, 13. Robert Ebersohn ©, 12. Raymond Rhule, 11. Rayno Benjamin, 10. Tewis de Bruyn, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Lappies Labuschagn, 6. Heinrich Brüssow, 5. Izak van der Westhuizen, 4. Francois Uys, 3. Ross Geldenhuys, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Marcel van der Merwe.

Replacements:
16. Elandre Huggett, 17. Coenie Oosthuizen, 18. Carl Wegner, 19. Hendro Scholtz, 20. Sias Ebersohn, 21. Philip Snyman, 22. Andries Strauss

Western Province:
15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. JP du Plessis, 12. Marcel Brache, 11. Gio Aplon, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Jebb Sinclair, 7. Don Armand, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements:
16. Deon Carstens, 17. Brok Harris, 18. Helmut Lehmann, 19. JJ Gagiano, 20. Nic Groom, 21. Gary van Aswegen, 22. Damian de Allende

Griquas:
15. Willie le Roux, 14. Richard Lawson 13. Jean Stemmet, 12. Walter Venter, 11. Rocco Jansen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Marnus Hugo, 8. Leon Karemaker, 7. Wesley Wilkins, 6. Marnus Schoeman, 5. Martin Muller, 4. Ligtoring Landman, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes ©, 1. Steph Roberts

Replacements:
16. Matthew Dobson, 17. Ivann Espag, 18. Edwin Hewitt, 19. Justin Downey, 20. Jacques Coetzee, 21. Marnitz Boshoff, 22. Luzuko Vulindlu

But he looks so handsome in his white scrumcap :(

Even if his absence makes our team slightly ugly, it might be worth it.

Louis Ludik! Just have to say what an outstanding season he has had. Look at what he has achieved when given a good run.
Poor Riaan Viljoen, might have to spend some time on the wing next season.

Man I hope the Bulls can win for a change this weekend. They have been utterly KAK!!

hopefully the changes made will improve their defence.

also, happy to see Coenie Oosthuizen return to playing time after his neck injury. He's on the bench for the cheetahs.

Latest posts