TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie Cup Logo.png

We are slowly but surely heading towards the play-offs in the Currie Cup and with 6 rounds behind us, only 4 remain. In Round 7 we see 3 very defying match-ups. In the first match, Western Province take on Griquas at home to determine which of the two teams takes the next step towards the play-offs. Both teams are tied on 15 points and are in 3rd and 4th place. The strength of Griquas is obvious. They have scored 19 tries so far, tied with the Golden Lions and more than the other 4 teams. WP is strong on defense, which shows in the least number of points conceded of all 6 teams (142). When the two teams met in round 2, WP won 20-25 in Kimberley, making them the only team so far to win there.

The second game will see the two lowest ranked teams match up. The Blue Bulls are hosting the Free State Cheetahs at Loftus and will try to win in order to move away from the bottom spot on the log. After 3 consecutive losses, they are stuck on 9 points. Last weekend they only won their first bonus point this season, but still lost. The Cheetahs have struggled with injuries but Brussow is back and he makes a huge difference! If the Cheetahs win this weekend, the Bulls are almost certainly heading towards a promotion/relegation play-off. The have to win, but conceding 23 tries already this season shows the weakness. The Cheetahs have been struggling on attack with only 14 tries though so this match is not easy to predict.

The final match of the day will determine which team will top the log after this weekend. The top-2 teams are meeting each other at Ellis Park. Looking at the achievement of the two teams shows how equal they are this year. The Lions have scores 7 points more, the Sharks conceded 1 less. The Lions scored 1 try more, the Sharks conceded 4 less. The teams are tied at 20 points but the Sharks are not playing well when travelling to Ellis Park. The last time the Natal Sharks beat the Golden Lions was 3 years ago. In 2009, the Durban team won 19-30. Since 2004, the Natal Sharks have only won twice at Ellis Park. The two teams met in last years final and they are heading towards the top spots again this year. The Lions are playing with a full Super Rugby team though while the Sharks are missing 15 players due to injury or Bok duty. The impressive play of the youngsters in Durban shows there's a bright future ahead of the Sharks organisation.

The vBookie event for this round will be Western Province - GWK Griquas

Round 7 Fixtures

Western Province.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
GWK Griquas.png

Newlands, Cape Town (14:00 GMT)

Blue Bulls.png
Free State Cheetahs.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (16:05 GMT)

Golden Lions.png
Natal Sharks.png

Ellis Park, Johannesburg (18:10 GMT)

Jacques Botes to one up last week and score a hat trick.
I think he read what you said and wanted to prove you wrong, Eze!

Well, good thing! I am not here to sweet-talk all the Sharks players towards the next match. They either play well or get a slap on the wrist! They know it, Botes knows it and he just proved my point. He has more up his sleeve.

If only we could win at Ellis Park for once!

Comon Cheetahs... Dammit man you guys are better than this.

The last time Griquas won at Newlands was..... (Who knows the answer?)

The last time Griquas won at Newlands was..... (Who knows the answer?)

Go on, you are dying to tell us!

I hope we persist with Cobus, he has looked very good when given time. He needs to have a run of a few starts to be properly judged.

1911!!! It's been 101 years since Griquas managed to leave Newlands with a victory!

Ja, ja, the Sharks have beaten us a few times this year. The tables might just turn sooner than you think (we had your number in 2010 & 2011; how quickly the wheel turns!).

WP is lacking leadership and experience ATM. Man what I wouldn't give to see some of the guys we let go over the last few years back like Schalk Brits, Brian Mujati, Francois Louw and Jaque Fourie. Come back for your last two years, guys, please! That or poach the lowly Lions for up-and-comers in positions we need like Pat CIlliers and Jaco Taute. But our biggest problem lies in our 9/10/12 axis where we have solid enough players but no world beaters OR future prospects.

Ja, ja, the Sharks have beaten us a few times this year. The tables might just turn sooner than you think (we had your number in 2010 & 2011; how quickly the wheel turns!).

Yep. That match at Newlands in the 2011 S15 was terrible. Definitely amongst the worst I have felt after a match.

The citing commissioner has spoken: Jebb Sinclair gets no further ban, just a warning. Tyrone Holmes gets a one-week ban.

Thats very lenient for clear punches. Hopefully the internal disciplinary process is a bit harsher; I'd hate to see a repeat. I've felt that part of our success the last few years was due to exemplary discipline which complements our game-plan of denying opposition chances and territory.

The only reason I can think off why Sinclair doesn't get suspended is the way he was provoked, although there was just some shoving back and forth.

Holmes had no reason, no provocation, nothing. I still feel a 1-week ban is very, very lenient considering Etzebeth got a 2-week ban for a near head-butt.

The only reason I can think off why Sinclair doesn't get suspended is the way he was provoked, although there was just some shoving back and forth.

Holmes had no reason, no provocation, nothing. I still feel a 1-week ban is very, very lenient considering Etzebeth got a 2-week ban for a near head-butt.
The citing commissioners have been giving pretty lenient bans lately. Not saying it is a conspiracy, just worth noting.

I don't think there's any bias involved. We've seen lenient rulings for months now. I feel that punching someone should be a 6-week ban. I am not just saying that because it happened to the Sharks now, I feel that behavior like this should be banned from the rugby fields and giving long bans will accomplish that in stead of a slap on the wrist.

If I was the coach, I would refuse to use them for a couple of weeks just to send a message. As a team and an organisation you should distance yourself from this sort of behavior. It will never happen because it will mean the difference between making the play-offs or not but in a perfect world, the WP management should act where the citing commissioner failed.

I couldn't disagree more with Ezequiel's opinions on this, I think it's a fair ruling. DC's ruling..."Sinclair was severely provoked in that he was struck five (5) times by his opponent with an open hand before he retaliated. The offence was classified as a low end contravention which carries a two (2) week suspension as sanction unless compelling on-field and/or off-field mitigating features were found. The DC found such mitigating features to exist in this case and the sending off was considered to be sufficient sanction. Sinclair is free to continue playing"

Edit: Ruling on Holmes. "Holmes was severely provoked but as he was never subjected to a physical attack as in the case of Sinclair, ruled Mr Ingwesen. His retaliation rendered him culpable. The offence was classified as being at the low end of the scale. This proposes a two (2) week sanction. The player was provoked but not to the degree that it warranted his actions and the mitigating circumstances are not such that no further sanction should be contemplated. Holmes was therefore suspended for one week, which means that he will not be permitted to play this coming Saturday."

Last edited:
Both should have gotten stiffer penalties - we need to rule such play out of the game - was ashamed of my team afterwards

One side effect I see of harsher penalties, is seeing the sort of crap Deysel was doing only beggining to happen more. I don't want to see punches being thrown around willy-nilly but I also don't want to see guys constantly provoking in order to draw cards and suspensions. Thats the sort of thing that goes on in Association Football and it's abosloutely awful to watch when it happens.