• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bok Barometer

Out half is the big problem. Would you really put Steyn there for the RWC? That's like Wales going for Hooke over Jones - brilliant young talent, but when the going gets heavy ... But then, the other SA candidates at #10 are just steady Eddies.

Steyn is great at long distance DGs, so fits the SA bill for #10 - but I haven't seen him play there, so I don't know if he can get his midfield motoring. He's also great at breaking from deep, and at returning kicks from his own 22, so it's probably better to put him at #15 before Montgomerie.

He is the best newcomer in world rugby, but what the f*** are you going to do with him in 5 months time? Will he just be one of the 'talent', or will he be expected to lead the team?

SA have the ability to win the RWC. But Steyn's position is going to tip the balance. I'd like to see him at 15, linking with Habana in attack. But it looks like SA will go for long kicks from deep and rely on DGs - so he has to be your #10. But he's too young for that.

Ha Ha! Good luck with the selection.

Steyn`ll probably go to the RWC as back-up 15 to Monty, with Pretorius and James as the 2 first-choice flyhalfs. But ever since I first saw Steyn at 10, during last year`s Currie Cup, I`ve quite rated him as a 10. I can recall, with quite some pain, him slicing up the Province midfield with some searing runs at a very wet Newlands, culminating in a break from about 30m out, which ended up with a 5-pointer in the corner flag.

The lad`s got good hands, a long boot, great pass, more than enough gas and pretty solid defence. Also reads the game very well, and has a natural, attacking inclination. So what he`s only 20, and it`s his 1st full season of first-class rugby? Big Jonnah was only 19 when he ran roughshod over just about every defense in world rugby in 1995. And Gregan wasn`t much older when he had to step into the great Nick Farr-Jones` boots. If you`re good enough, I reckon you`re old enough.

At this stage I would go for Frans Steyn at flyhalf, nobody else has really impressed me.

him slicing up the Province midfield with some searing runs at a very wet Newlands, culminating in a break from about 30m out, which ended up with a 5-pointer in the corner flag.

[/b]

Kings Park not newlands, ;)

I'm a bit worried though, I am a mountain goat for life but the sharks are probably our best bet for the S14 (*as well as being my second team*).

And they have never won at newlands in super rugby before, could the stormers kill their hopes of a home semi ?. As long as they beat the blues it might be justifiable I suppose :)

The Stormers have the ability to beat the Blues but it won't happen this weekend, I expect the Blues to trounce them. It's going to be a hard game between the Stormers and Sharks at Newlands but the Sharks will take it.

At this stage I would go for Frans Steyn at flyhalf, nobody else has really impressed me.
[/b]

What did he do in the match against the Blues? He didn't really offer much on attack.

Sure he can do drop kicks, but he can do that from fullback.

He just seems more solid than any of the other. He seems to keep calm and doesn't lose focus unlike Andre Pretorius.

i say get steyn into fly half asap.... he needs all the experience he can get

even if it doesnt pay off just now, by the next world cup he will be like dan carter is now - best in the world and only 24yrs old

gents any suggestions on the S.A back row, Ilove schalk he's a f**king animal but too much of a liability, i'd have spies at 8, aj venter blindside and smit at openside any thoughts?

Yes, I`m also a big fan of Schalkie jnr, and I`ll probably have him at openside in my 1st-choice team, but he hasn`t featured in any of the Form XV`s to date, simply because he`s been playing behind a Stormers light 5 stuck in perpetual reverse.

For my money, I`ll have Burger at openside, to generally harass and compete on the floor, Juan Smith at blindside, to carry the ball up to his heart`s content, and Pierre Spies at 8, to use his substantial bulk and pace from the base of the scrums.

This way, you get in 3 carriers, 3 line-out options, plenty of pace around the park, and 2 guys who can both fetch, ie. Burger and Spies.

I just love seeing Burger manhandle people, it allmost brings a tear to my eye :)

I'd pretty much agree with that loose trio though, but I'd at the very least have Luke on the bench, he's got a bigger then life attitiude yes, but he's damn good.

I would also like to see luke on the bench.
Other flankers that I woldn't ignore are
Baywatch Grobelaar had a suberb s14 season so far,and it looks like bobby is beginning to find form and lets not forget about Justin Melck he has a huge future ahead of him.
And did you know Luke,Schalk and Justin where born on the same year.In 1983

They had a monster team for U21's, I remember that.

They should consider putting Spies on the wing ala Jonah Lomu, although it would take up the space of a black player.

Juan Smith is a certainty at blindside. He's awesome. Spies hasn't really delivered with the exception of the game last year when they beat the All Blacks. But we can all see the promise in him.

Can't really go wrong with the Smith/Burger/Spies combo though.

Juan Smith at blindside, to carry the ball up to his heart`s content[/b]

Lol....I'd rather have Venter than Smith on the blind. Smith misses tackles and often gets smashed by the NZ loosies while Venter gives it back and some more. Venter is also a better lineout jumper.

venter has had an outstanding s14 and the experiance needed, come RWC time we just cant afford to have schalk warming a seat in the bin for 10 mins, i love schalk, i really do, during one game the centres were in the middle of of scissors move when schalk took them both out, pure class, but he must be the most sinned binned bok ever

lol the bulls fan doesnt like bobby surprise surprise. I may be young but iv heard enough stories from my grandad and read enough to know he has unsouth african like flair for a flanker and now this season he seems to have built up an awesome defence aka was it like 17 tackles against the blues. Why not consider him as an impact sub like he used to be in the old days.

I agree with you fokkenkak Bobby will hopefully make great impact player!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I agree with you fokkenkak Bobby will hopefully make great impact player!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
[/b]

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this, I think he can actually be a good asset at the world cup.

They don't need to play him for every single game and not even for the full 80 minutes, I just hink he'd make a good impact player.

He's just got this natural flair, He's allmost like king Carlos ( yes yes I know, there is no one like the king spencer ), he's the kinda guy that will do this random ass crazy **** that just shines of brilliance.

I remember seeing him play in last years WP XV vs World XV Korne krige match and thinking.

Still F**kin brilliant !

Yes, Bobby`s done extremely well in the last couple of games, and brilliant to see him reinvent himself as an openside. Fokkenkak, I can confirm all you`ve heard about the younger Bob in his heyday as a no8- ridiculously skillfull. But I don`t believe there`s enough room for him in a 30-man RWC squad.

I`ll obviously go with Burger/Smith/Spies as my 1st-choice combo, which leaves a place for only 2 more loosies, since I`ll want to take 3 scrummies and 3 hookers in case of injuries- not so easy to get a new guy to learn all the calls etc. My other 2 loosies would be Venter, who can cover 4,5,7 and 8 with equal skill. Then you`ll need a 2nd fetcher in case Schalkie breaks down, or gets himself suspended(!). Here I`ll go for Kabamba, not for political reasons but due to his undoubted skill and class. Wrt Luke, maybe I`m just a bit prejudiced against him because I`m a Framesby old boy, and he went to fkn Grey High, I don`t know, but my thoughts on him are well known by now.

Latest posts