• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 16/17 - Round 1

Would have taken that pre-match. Think we should have won, though, their 2nd try was forward and I felt Pearce was generous on their maul, a few times it ground to a halt and I felt they should have been told to use it rather than wait and then carry on after a few seconds. Weather really effected the game and our skills declined a bit, Pisi with 2 apalling passes that were lucky to be gathered.

Still, on the whole

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got home from the game and I don't think I've ever felt as disappointed after winning ... we were awful 1-15 - although Danny Care stood out as particularly bad. Certainly not a captains' performance.

Bristol played fairly well, but I don't think it would be entirely unfair to say we gift wrapped the 3 tries they scored. The only positive I can take from the game is the nature of the tries we conceded. A catastrophic pass, a poor kick and non-existent defence and then a very unfortunate spill are unlikely to occur in the same game on many occasions ...

We looked awful in attack and barely managed a successful phase in the entire game. Our defence was woeful and though our set piece improved, we hardly looked like a well-drilled outfit.

We were extremely fortunate to win and on the basis of todays game we will lose heavily in the next five games against Sale, Saracens, Exeter, Wasps and Northampton.

I can't say I'm surprised after our pre-season performances, but today's game more or less confirms all but the most optimistic of Quins fans' fears. I think there are other teams that will be worse than we are across the course of the season, but right now, I'd take anywhere above 12th.

The real tragedy here is that I'll have to wait at least another week before I get to use "Lethal Brizzle".

Just got home from the game and I don't think I've ever felt as disappointed after winning ... we were awful 1-15 - although Danny Care stood out as particularly bad. Certainly not a captains' performance.

Bristol played fairly well, but I don't think it would be entirely unfair to say we gift wrapped the 3 tries they scored. The only positive I can take from the game is the nature of the tries we conceded. A catastrophic pass, a poor kick and non-existent defence and then a very unfortunate spill are unlikely to occur in the same game on many occasions ...

We looked awful in attack and barely managed a successful phase in the entire game. Our defence was woeful and though our set piece improved, we hardly looked like a well-drilled outfit.

We were extremely fortunate to win and on the basis of todays game we will lose heavily in the next five games against Sale, Saracens, Exeter, Wasps and Northampton.

I can't say I'm surprised after our pre-season performances, but today's game more or less confirms all but the most optimistic of Quins fans' fears. I think there are other teams that will be worse than we are across the course of the season, but right now, I'd take anywhere above 12th.

Please do not think that I am trying to add to your grief but was not Kingston previously in charge at Quins but had to be rescued by either O'Shea or perhaps before that by the now Newcastle manager?

I don't know a single Quins fan who was excited or even satisfied with Kingston and Mapletoft being promoted. The club talks about ambition but it's not reflected in our leadership decisions or our transfer dealings. Everything about Quins at the moment is underwhelming at best.

I like it that the club is loyal, but not when it's detrimental on the pitch. I can't help but feel that all of the 'in-house' appointments limit the amount of new ideas/approaches and so we blunder on with the same old, same old season after season.

To anyone outside of Quins, John Kingston is a nobody and he can't command respect from anyone in the game for any achievements worthy of note. The prospect of playing under his coaching set-up simply isn't enticing for players and being a Quins lifer, he has no useful contacts elsewhere in the game to secure talent, so we only end up signing players other clubs don't really want.

Every other club looking for a DoR recently has made a major appointment - Rennie to Glasgow, Erasmus to Munster and Blackadder to Bath as three examples. With our history and location we should be able to do a lot better.

If our season pans out as poorly as expected, there's a chance Kingston and Mapletoft's time at the top may be a short reign, but as we love to paper over the cracks, I wouldn't bank on it.

I don't know a single Quins fan who was excited or even satisfied with Kingston and Mapletoft being promoted. The club talks about ambition but it's not reflected in our leadership decisions or our transfer dealings. Everything about Quins at the moment is underwhelming at best.

I like it that the club is loyal, but not when it's detrimental on the pitch. I can't help but feel that all of the 'in-house' appointments limit the amount of new ideas/approaches and so we blunder on with the same old, same old season after season.

To anyone outside of Quins, John Kingston is a nobody and he can't command respect from anyone in the game for any achievements worthy of note. The prospect of playing under his coaching set-up simply isn't enticing for players and being a Quins lifer, he has no useful contacts elsewhere in the game to secure talent, so we only end up signing players other clubs don't really want.

Every other club looking for a DoR recently has made a major appointment - Rennie to Glasgow, Erasmus to Munster and Blackadder to Bath as three examples. With our history and location we should be able to do a lot better.

If our season pans out as poorly as expected, there's a chance Kingston and Mapletoft's time at the top may be a short reign, but as we love to paper over the cracks, I wouldn't bank on it.

Loyalty is great but in the professional world it is a rare thing as it rarely brings long term success.

Likewise promoting from within really went out with the boot room culture at Liverpool FC.

I watched in despair as Biarritz followed the loyalty and promotion from within route as they tumbled down the tables. They were not aided by what I saw as incompetence in off field management personnel and can only hope that the financial side at Quins is in a better state!

Sometimes there's not the money to go courting top talent. To promote Kingston from within, and also bring Easter into defence coach, along with Evans seemingly moving into a backs coach role in time, I wonder if Quins aren't a little short on funds, and are willing to have a go with potentially cheaper options they have faith in.

What's happened to Faletau then ?

Medial Collateral ligament - didn't look more serious as he walked off OK - though he may well have completely busted the ligament itself

JP Doyle is absolutely riding Saints here but he's only doing so 'cos Saints keep giving him the opportunity to blow his whistle and he's not been wrong that I've seen yet - only themselves to blame.
Where did you get a live stream from? I can't even find the replay on the Premrugby.tv site

Last edited:
Every game is live on a couple of Betting sites (I use Bet365) - you just have to have an active account (So either a fiver in the account or must have placed a bet within the last 24hrs).

I used to use those a few years ago; but the quality was low enough that I preferred to wait for the full match on premrugby.tv

Been so long since I used it I'd forgotten about the option - wonder if my old tenner is still vaild... or if I can remember my login details.

Ideally, of course, PRL will notice that the new season has started, and remember to put the replays up

1) Good turnout for Wasps ...........................
2) God i hate their kit why not have proper stripes
3) Cips will not be a International if he isn't the first choice kicker for club.
4) the Mauls seem to be a lot tougher to defend this season.

Cipriani pulls Devotos foot into his own chin then grabs his eyes and starts screaming......right.

Top work from the ref and TMO.

Cipriani pulls Devotos foot into his own chin then grabs his eyes and starts screaming......right.

Top work from the ref and TMO.

Your just saying that since he has moved once a wasp always a wasp and all that ;) I can't see him playing for England under Eddie.

wasps are really going to miss Piutau Beale and Le roux don't come close to his physicality, prob the most dangerous runner in the AP last year.

Did you see what Leicester were wearing in Gloucester?

Away kits can be crap in my books, home kits are the ones that matter.