• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Round 14

Quins unplayable today.

Bath's best bet may be to hand them a TBP ahead of HT, and hope they switch off

4 min 13 players, 10 min without a winger! Going to be interesting last 10!

11 points down! Damn what a finish after such a lead

What a kick! Thats massive 4 points rather than 6 needed

FTR, I wasn't having a go at anyone at all. I haven't seen yesterday's incident, so cannot and will no comment. It was more in reference to the Scottish non-try, where the abuse of the ref absolutely was OTT, with fans directly stating that the ref should have made an on-field decision of try despite explicitly seeing the ball held up, and not seeing a grounding at any point in time.

From what you're saying, that means that yesterday's ref should also have had an on-field decision of "no try" or at least asked "try, yes or no?" depending on what they did or did not see.
I would follow that up with not blaming a ref for not wanting to be put in the same situation as Berry (and numerous other refs recently)
I wasn't one of those an maintain if you haven't seen a definitive grounding you shouldn't award it (IMO) I also think the incident your talking about is hugely amplified as it was at the death and would have changed the outcome of the game, much like the Earl pen vs France, this was just my thoughts at the time, the player on initial viewing looks short of the line then is clearly held up attempting to stretch for the line (if he's initially made it he probably wouldn't be stretching), if the ref didn't say he didn't have a grounding having awarded the try I honestly wouldn't have thought much of it, but to say he didn't have a ground having said on field is try you need definitive held up to turn of my decision just seems a little backwards to me.

I've had a look back and I think it was nearer 7'30...
I was wrong on this initially - super weird.

Must be a mismatch in clock stoppages between ref and 4th official or between 4th official and the TV director surely?

Doubt either coach will be thrilled by the Quins Bath game. Decent shift from Baxter and Barbeary made a difference.

Marcus Smith isn't having a bad game... can't understand the lack of enthusiasm for him.

Good player, unlucky to miss out on the starting shirt in the 6N. But you quite often see stuff like his touch line spat with Gallagher which make him look a bit of a plonker.

F Smith looks an increasingly all round class act.

Must be a mismatch in clock stoppages between ref and 4th official or between 4th official and the TV director surely?
That's my guess, as the clock didn't suddenly gain a couple of minutes between then and the correct end of the match.

I've no idea how early he returned to the field, I had 74 minutes ish in my head (cwrtaibly showed with 4min + when Lynagh went off in the 70th).
Someone came on, and a bit later he made a huge tackle, then a bit later the ball went out (off Care's hip, but not going to blame anyone for missing that), and then the clock was stopped for an injury, on 73.10.

Nevermind. Another couple of minutes against 13 men would have helped, and may well have turned the game (especially as he did make an impact before he was due on), but...
Quins were comfortably better for 40 minutes, broadly equal for about 15, and Bath comfortably better for 25 minutes - so 2 BPs is about right from that.
If it was my job, however, I'd be screaming livid!
Helps that I'm also distracted by more rugby, and had given up the game as lost at HT.

Last edited:

Possibly. I had hoped it was just an error in the yellow card countdown on the TV. I can't be bothered to check, but I wonder if someone got confused so he came back after ten minutes, with no adjustment made for any clock stoppages.

Latest posts