• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 16/17 - Round 1

I'm at the game and Sarries are looking very average. Certainly not looking like defending champions.

It's an ugly, scrappy and unstructured game with very little quality on show so far. As Olyy says, Lozowski isn't controlling the game and missed a couple of kicks most AP 10s would have nailed.

Worcester have defended well and are looking solid in the set piece.

Of course it could all be very different in the second half, but it's definitely not the game I expected so far.

Definitely different in the second half - Sarries stepped-up a gear and cut out the errors. Worcester didn't.

Sarries superior bench also made a big difference. Aside from one kick straight out, Spencer looked good when he came on. Definitely helped to increase the tempo. Good, crisp passing and a very nice try to top it off.

Lozowski improved but left 10+ very kickable points out there.

Players attempting drop goals off of penalty advantages should be punched into paralysis.

Nah.... if there's something on then it's stupid, if you're going for a 1% play then there's not much point.

If you are literally square on to the posts then you might have an argument, but outside of that, I disagree.

Nah.... if there's something on then it's stupid, if you're going for a 1% play then there's not much point.

If you are literally square on to the posts then you might have an argument, but outside of that, I disagree.

The 1% chance is more entertaining for me thought and that's all that matters.

Honestly for me Wuss are favourites for the drop this time without there stars players esp Hougaard could really hurt them.

Damn! That would have been a great try for Bath. ROKO! Why is he not playing for England!?

Last edited:
Marchant vs Hurrell could be good.

Will we see an improved Quins scrum?

Good start by Bris but their handling is a disaster!!

I like how Ford is confident to take these drop goals, that's 6 points he's got us from them. A great skill to keep the score ticking over that has been forgetten, even ridiculed in the modern game.

An attacking pack of
1) Genge
2) George
3) Sinkler
4) Launchbury
5) Itoje
6) Hughes
7) Harrison
8) Vunipola

If you're going purely for attack then you've gotta get Clifford at 7 and I'd be tempted to put Beaumont to 6 with Hughes at 8. Also maybe Lawes over Itoje.

Quins set piece = crap.

Marler hates the welsh confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going purely for attack then you've gotta get Clifford at 7 and I'd be tempted to put Beaumont to 6 with Hughes at 8. Also maybe Lawes over Itoje.

lawes has the attacking threat of Cole.

I like how Ford is confident to take these drop goals, that's 6 points he's got us from them. A great skill to keep the score ticking over that has been forgetten, even ridiculed in the modern game.

Aye, its been effective. Reliance on drop goals annoys me but can't argue with the result.

Bath have won this by being rock solid in defence, strong in the set piece, and from Ford being very reliable at taking points and pinning Saints back. Well. I presume they've won this. Saints will feel they could have done more about the first two if they'd played better but there's SFA they can do about Ford being a PITA to play against.

edit:

p.s. Agreed with Itoje > Lawes.

If you really want to go all out ball carrying, you put Beaumont in the second row.

Never mind Newcastle, Worcester and Bristol - what about Quins for the drop in their 150th year!!!

Bristol bossing this game and very deservedly 14-3 up!!

Marler has done for Henson.....

Quins set piece = crap.

Marler hates the welsh confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

lawes has the attacking threat of Cole.

I suppose so, I always think back to his hand off vs Roberts, but that was a one off occasion. Beaumont at lock is a good call though.

Latest posts