International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
This is the official thread for the Wallabies in the WC:

150428053231440841.png

The last training squad. Cheika, Larkham and a 51-strong group of Australian players gathered for the first pre-World Cup "Wallabies workshop":

Brumbies: Ben Alexander, Sam Carter, Scott Fardy, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Steve Moore, David Pocock, Scott Sio, Henry Speight, Joe Tomane, Matt Toomua, Nic White

Force: Nathan Charles, Pekahou Cowan, Nick Cummins, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman

Reds: Quade Cooper, Saia Faingaa, Nick Frisby, Will Genia, Liam Gill, James Hanson, James Horwil, James O'Connor, Jake Schatz, Rob Simmons, James Slipper

Rebels: Tom English, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Jones, Sean McMahon, Cadeyrn Neville

Waratahs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Peter Betham, David Dennis, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Michael Hooper, Rob Horne, Sekope Kepu, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, Tatafu Polota-nau, Benn Robinson, Paddy Ryan, Will Skelton.

Last edited:
My Wallabies 31 man squad would have to be this:
1: James Slipper
2: Stephen Moore
3: Sekope Kepu
4: Rob Simmons
5: James Horwill
6: Scott Fardy
7: Michael Hooper
8: Wycliff Palu
9: Will Genia
10: Bernard Foley
11: James O'Connor
12: Matt Toomua
13: Tevita Kuridrani
14: Henry Speight
15: Israel Folau

16: Greg Holmes
17: Ben Alexander
18: Tatafu Polota-Nau
19: Saia Fainga’a
20: Sam Carter
21: Will Skelton
22: David Pocock
23: Matt Hodgson
24: Ben McCalman
25: Nic White
26: Quade Cooper
27: Christian Lealiifano
28: Adam Ashley-Cooper
29: Kurtly Beale
30: Joe Tomane
31: Nick Cummins

Wouldn't be surprised if it was different to this; also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Kyle Godwin in there perhaps...

My Wallabies 31 man squad would have to be this:
1: James Slipper
2: Stephen Moore
3: Sekope Kepu
4: Rob Simmons
5: James Horwill
6: Scott Fardy
7: Michael Hooper
8: Wycliff Palu
9: Will Genia
10: Bernard Foley
11: James O'Connor
12: Matt Toomua
13: Tevita Kuridrani
14: Henry Speight
15: Israel Folau

16: Greg Holmes
17: Ben Alexander
18: Tatafu Polota-Nau
19: Saia Fainga’a
20: Sam Carter
21: Will Skelton
22: David Pocock
23: Matt Hodgson
24: Ben McCalman
25: Nic White
26: Quade Cooper
27: Christian Lealiifano
28: Adam Ashley-Cooper
29: Kurtly Beale
30: Joe Tomane
31: Nick Cummins

Wouldn't be surprised if it was different to this; also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Kyle Godwin in there perhaps...

Hooper over Poey????

Also Ben Alexander is the worst prop at test level.

Last edited:
I would want to see the squad with Hooper and Pocock first and foremost... As for Ben Alexander he can be swapped out for someone, maybe the likes of Scott Sio (probably makes more sense!).

What about Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau?

wasn't the purpose of the new eligibility clause to get the seasoned players in the NH to qualify for the Wobblies?

I think it would be stupid of Cheika not to pick them when he can. Giteau alone has the ability to win a game.

wasn't the purpose of the new eligibility clause to get the seasoned players in the NH to qualify for the Wobblies?

No, it was to keep guys like Adam Ashley-Cooper and co, the current Wallabies, available to them once they head over seas - it's about transition and effective succession planning.

No, it was to keep guys like Adam Ashley-Cooper and co, the current Wallabies, available to them once they head over seas - it's about transition and effective succession planning.

yeah yeah, that is the long term idea. But the short term goal and the reason why the announced it BEFORE the World Cup kicks off, was to get those guys in NH to play for the Wobblies in the World Cup, which is in the NH...

yeah yeah, that is the long term idea. But the short term goal and the reason why the announced it BEFORE the World Cup kicks off, was to get those guys in NH to play for the Wobblies in the World Cup, which is in the NH...

It really wasn't, that's what the press jumped on, the reasoning behind it was about stopping the drain post WC because contracts are being negotiated now.

I wasn't to sure if we had passed that through or not, if we do I would love to see the likes of Matt Giteau, Digby Ioane and Drew Mitchell play.

- - - Updated - - -

The press does love to stir things up a bit, no doubt about it!

I wasn't to sure if we had passed that through or not, if we do I would love to see the likes of Matt Giteau, Digby Ioane and Drew Mitchell play.

Digby isn't elegible. He hasn't 60 caps

That's true, I was just saying it would be great to see those players again. So under the current eligibility criteria we would have players like...

"At the moment that list is pretty sparse, with only George Smith (111 caps), Drew Mitchell (61 caps) and Matt Giteau (92 caps) eligible from the overseas ranks.
Others who would, or will, be eligible from overseas include Adam Ashley-Cooper (104), Stephen Moore (92), Ben Alexander (72), Benn Robinson (72) and James Slipper (63).
Several others from the current crop may qualify depending on how many Tests they play between now and the end of the World Cup – James Horwill (58), Sekope Kepu (52), Will Genia (58), Quade Cooper (53) and Wycliffe Palu (54)."

Mario Ledesma seems to have moved on since his sacking at Montpellier, i now see he is also set piece coach for the Aussies well played Mario.

I'm not an Aus fan but the overwhelming surprise for an omission for me has to be Luke Jones. He was the most impressive lock in SR for an Australian side and the Wallabies really need quality players in the second row. He can also play blindside flanker which adds to his value on the roster.

Spot on Canuck, the selection of Dennis and Mumm over Jones and Adam Coleman are baffling. Horwill should also count his lucky stars.

AAC as vice captain is interesting for me only for the fact I can't see him starting, Kuridrani has to be the first choice centre and I wouldn't start him on the flanks anymore, so that leaves him as the utility on the bench.

AAC as vice captain is interesting for me only for the fact I can't see him starting, Kuridrani has to be the first choice centre and I wouldn't start him on the flanks anymore, so that leaves him as the utility on the bench.

I can see AAC being shifted around a bit, as he's been used in multiple positions previously. Maybe the intention is not to necessarily start both of the vice captains in the same game, or to hand Hooper the captaincy if they want to give Moore a rest. Starting Moore and Pocock certainly won't weaken the side ... Maybe let Hooper or AAC take over for the non-crucial pool games (whichever ones they are)

Latest posts