Argentina can beat to Wallabies?

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
After this round, seeing as the moments Argentina's Scrum drove back to ABs. And given the fact that one of the main problems of Wallabies is their Scrum (especially without Horwill, one of their best forwards). Argentina could beat the Aussies?

We must also say that the Argentina's line-out is a mess and they have no attack power (their try was a gift from Saili).

I think Australia have best backs, Folau, JOC and AAC are better than the Pumas backs but if Argentina makes a smart play as Boks, not risking too much, playing exclusively with their forwards, always asking the scrum, making strategic kicking, they could beat Wallabies. Sanchez also seems that they found a cash kicker, if they will win the battle of the forwards (Something which is very likely) could destroy the morale of Aussies and doing a South African rugby style (without risking much) I think they could make many points with his kicker.

We must also say that last year many said Pumas win their first championship match against Australia. In Gold Coast were close but a quick reaction prevented them Aussies. In Rosario, Australia had one the worst Wallabies teams I saw in my life for so many injuries (Mike Harris, Nick Cummins, Ben Tapuai, Nick Phipps and Kurtley Beale at 10) and still managed to win.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Argentina's had quality backs, but they're playing just so conservatively in this tournament because the focus is on other aspects, mainly containing the opponents (so far Boks and Blacks).
I think they'll have a little more 'room to breathe' here against the Wallabies, will have a true, actual edge for the first time - the scrum - and have as commentators say, a "platform" to work with. They can easily get one or two penalty-tries or maul-created drives and tries. The Wallabies have shown they can defend, despite the absence of girth and sheer weight in their dynamics, but they've also not shown a whole lot of attacking prowess either. But of course, they've played the two best sides and maybe they'll run rampant on the Argies...but I doubt it, as the Pumas can seriously lock down.

The only chance Australia has is scoring tries, I don't think they'll beat them at the breakdown and collect a bunch of penalties, and the forwards will yet again be at a disadvantage - so Argentina should be reluctant to give them wide open spaces and should narrow down their ball-carrying. Argentina may have to play this one conservatively: create a bunch of phases and assert their forwards, grind some 3pters, and use maaaauls.

Wallabies forwards need to be more physical at the breakdown, mauls etc. and provide that intimidating authority over there opposition, which they haven't shown yet. Questions around the Wallabies scrum an few times, as the Pumas scrum has always been an asset to there style of play powerful and strong scrum. Last night watching the ABs vs Pumas, the Pumas scrum was very strong with them shoving the ABs back a few times. Puma forwards provide that hard physicality, I'm not saying they will win, but give them an chance and will be good battle between the Wallabies and Pumas.

Last edited:
We will get rolled. I was in denial about our forwards but they are hopeless. I would love to see how our backs would go behind the bok pack!

I think people said similar things last year but Australia came out on top well enough. There is still a lot of quality in that Aussie team and they will be hungry for victory. There are obviously huge problems in that forward pack with a lack of physicality. Australia should be fine if they play the game to their strengths.

If the Argentine players continue to commit so many penalties, no chance of winning a match against any of the teams of Sanzar even a apparently weak Australia side.

I think they will split the series. The Wallabies look worse this year than last. The Argentinian team looks to have improved a little. If Argentina can dictate the terms of the game. Keeping things tight, kicking penalties etc and dominating in the forwards then I would not be surprised at all if they beat the ozzies. That being said if I had to bet the house on it, I would still take Australia.

Argentina won't win this meeting, the Australian's are playing at home and will be very motivated after their heavy defeat to South Africa.

Argentina won't win this meeting, the Australian's are playing at home and will be very motivated after their heavy defeat to South Africa.

You would have thought on that logic the Ozzies would have been very motivated at home v SA after their heavy defeats to the ABs, but they were rubbish....

HEAR YE, HEAR YE !!!
this is....highly important, as always....*cough*

It would be....'good'....that this entire forum (!!!) would start calling the Wallabies the 'Ballawies' if they lose this match at home to the Pumas.
However, the Pumas do NOT get called the Mupas if they lose themselves, I mean, it goes without saying, it's just perfectly logical...

EDIT: for about....the tournament's length...would be...would be nice.

As much as i would like the pumas to win, they make to many silly mistakes and give away to many penalties to beat the Aussies. The pumas are also very inconsistent, they can be a pile of rubbish, and the wallabies need to show something and if not against the pumas when? Truth is a win now won't change much, they are expected to win, pressure still with them...
It will be fun to watch!

Until Argentina doesn't get a few teams in the super 14 it will be hard to be seriously competitive at is level...

We will get rolled. I was in denial about our forwards but they are hopeless. I would love to see how our backs would go behind the bok pack!

I'd love to see a combo of SA forwards and Aus backs. TBF our backs are improving as is your forwards but we are both sitting with injuries/unavalibility in that regard and don't have the depth to make for it (I'm talking about Johan Goosen, Jaco Taute and FdP for us and TPN, Palu, Horwill, Higginbotham and Pocock for you)

.. on the actual topic I think both the away team have better chances than last year to claim an away win and both because of their forward packs and forward dominance being more important than last year. That said both face opponents ranked higher than them at home and will be underdogs for good reason. The Pumas I feel have to play territory, dominate the set piece and tight exchanges (kill Aus forward momentum but they'll have to watch for being too eager at the ruck and gifting Aus relieving penalties and territory) and defend like daemons in the mid-field and out wide. If they can do this and stay patient the penalty goals and the odd opportunity off a turn over will come. Even last week we only started to inflate the scoreline when Aus (Folau and Cooper in particular) started panicking and lost the ball in the red zone trying to force things. So play traditional rugby and have patience and discipline.

Last edited:
As much as i would like the pumas to win, they make to many silly mistakes and give away to many penalties to beat the Aussies. The pumas are also very inconsistent, they can be a pile of rubbish, and the wallabies need to show something and if not against the pumas when? Truth is a win now won't change much, they are expected to win, pressure still with them...
It will be fun to watch!

Until Argentina doesn't get a few teams in the super 14 it will be hard to be seriously competitive at is level...

good points....a fine rookie first post.

Like someone mentioned before, our best chance is to play our traditional rugby style. If we want to play an offensive and fancy rugby, we will play Australias game and we will get hammered. I know that we need to take our game one step further if we really want to get into the top 5 nations, and I admire the courage of trying it, but this is not the tournament for experiments.

Like someone mentioned before, our best chance is to play our traditional rugby style. If we want to play an offensive and fancy rugby, we will play Australias game and we will get hammered. I know that we need to take our game one step further if we really want to get into the top 5 nations, and I admire the courage of trying it, but this is not the tournament for experiments.

that's right. Good point. Argentina ought to finally know who they are now. They've gotten their scrum back, and as a concern before, at least this is sorted now.

Latest posts