• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do peeps think of Biden choosing Andrew Cuomo as running mate? I know Biden has said he would choose a woman as a running mate, but let's face it so far Cuomo has shown real leadership during this NYC crisis and also eschewing party politics. It really would be a coup and also let's face it if Biden were to win he would only be able to serve 1 term because he'd be 81 come 2024. This could ensure that Cuomo could take over after Biden and ensure Trump doesn't get back in in 2024 and 2028 if he were to be successful.

Don't think it really matters - Biden is going to get absolutely destroyed. These credible rape accusations and then the #MeToo movement ignoring them because Biden's campaign staff are big players in the movement doesn't help one bit.
Also doesn't help that even Trump is sounding more reasonable about healthcare for all than Biden is.

He really is just the worst possible option the left could have chosen. I don't think anyone on the left could beat Trump atm, but **** me Biden is atrocious.

Cuomo is definitely coming out of this whole situation looking good, though.

What do peeps think of Biden choosing Andrew Cuomo as running mate? I know Biden has said he would choose a woman as a running mate, but let's face it so far Cuomo has shown real leadership during this NYC crisis and also eschewing party politics. It really would be a coup and also let's face it if Biden were to win he would only be able to serve 1 term because he'd be 81 come 2024. This could ensure that Cuomo could take over after Biden and ensure Trump doesn't get back in in 2024 and 2028 if he were to be successful.

Despite being dealt a bad hand Cuomo has come across really well.

If I were him I'd stay well away from this election and stake a claim for the next one (assuming he's still Governor and fancies a crack at the big one) in three years time when the Democrat candidates start to throw their hats into the ring. By that point Sanders and Biden will be too old and out of the running and the Democrats should stand a better chance assuming they get their **** together and if the country are disillusioned with the Republicans because of eight years of Trump.

Last edited:
Cuomo with AOC as VP in 2024 (she'll be eligible by being 35 by inauguration day, interestingly for me we share a bitrthday which is far better than Thatcher) could be a really good ticket. Really a case of if AOC can keep the momentum up in her base whilst dealing with the realities of Washington.

It's staggering how even with what a monumental trainwreck his presidency was, it still looks likely Trump will get a second term. Just shows how messed up US politics are and how the left wing in general in the western world has put up such a feeble opposition to rising nationalism.

It's staggering how even with what a monumental trainwreck his presidency was, it still looks likely Trump will get a second term. Just shows how messed up US politics are and how the left wing in general in the western world has put up such a feeble opposition to rising nationalism.
I think a lot of it is down to how fundamentally flawed some democratic systems are more people voted for Clinton and in the UK parties advocating a second ref on Brexit but both lost comprehensively due to where to vote concentrated.

I think a lot of it is down to how fundamentally flawed some democratic systems are more people voted for Clinton and in the UK parties advocating a second ref on Brexit but both lost comprehensively due to where to vote concentrated.

That too, I've been a big advocate of a hybrid system with the Commons remaining FPTP but the Lords being reformed to a proportional system with the aim of making the Commons more an area where local concerns are discussed and the "lords" where national issues are discussed. I was also an advocate of the idea of regional assemblies and more decentralisation but that got shot down. The current system just doesn't feel fit for purpose.

Anyone see the Americas with Simon Reeve last night?

I knew LA wasn't all Hollywood glitz and glamour, but 45,000 homeless people is absolutely shocking. They showed two street doctors going round to tend to the homeless. "How many of you are there?" "Four".

If you judge a society on how it treats its most disadvantaged America is diabolical and has a hell of a way to go before it's "great again".

That too, I've been a big advocate of a hybrid system with the Commons remaining FPTP but the Lords being reformed to a proportional system with the aim of making the Commons more an area where local concerns are discussed and the "lords" where national issues are discussed. I was also an advocate of the idea of regional assemblies and more decentralisation but that got shot down. The current system just doesn't feel fit for purpose.
The lords are the best thing about our gov compared to other countries by a long way... I know it's a point of preference but making the Lords elected defeats the whole point of it

The lords are the best thing about our gov compared to other countries by a long way... I know it's a point of preference but making the Lords elected defeats the whole point of it
look, i'm a big fan of people being handed things they don't deserve because of their parents but the idea of the House of Lords is insane

look, i'm a big fan of people being handed things they don't deserve because of their parents but the idea of the House of Lords is insane
I'm not advocating for hereditary peers... that clearly has no place in government obviously.

But a house of experts in their field, whatever that may be: the arts, law, business, politics etc. who aren't focussing on getting relected in 4 years rather than doing actual good seems like a great idea to me...

They can't cancel any legislation, merely make a public point and further analysis of it without having to be scared about whether theyre going to lose their seat over standing up for what they believe is right

Hereditary peers are extremely complex but we don't have as many as the name suggests. There are 92 and they are elected by other people. There are also 661 life peers and governments have been making sure those ranks have swelled.

I'm not a fan of it just thought it worth pointing out.

I'm not advocating for hereditary peers... that clearly has no place in government obviously.

But a house of experts in their field, whatever that may be: the arts, law, business, politics etc. who aren't focussing on getting relected in 4 years rather than doing actual good seems like a great idea to me...

They can't cancel any legislation, merely make a public point and further analysis of it without having to be scared about whether theyre going to lose their seat over standing up for what they believe is right

Yet if the government wants something done they just railroad it through the lords anyway. Also many members of the lords are political appointees, ones who can't ever be removed. It's led to the number of lords rising and rising as politicians try to stack it with their friends. I'm all for a body that holds a role of accountability in examining legislation, maybe even as a 3rd body at the end of the process. However I feel the need for accurate national representation and some check on overzealous governments is needed. In situations like now there is no check on the government at all, a government which has a massively inflated majority. In situations like now the lords is utterly powerless, the opposition are powerless and what the PM says goes.

Yet if the government wants something done they just railroad it through the lords anyway. Also many members of the lords are political appointees, ones who can't ever be removed. It's led to the number of lords rising and rising as politicians try to stack it with their friends. I'm all for a body that holds a role of accountability in examining legislation, maybe even as a 3rd body at the end of the process. However I feel the need for accurate national representation and some check on overzealous governments is needed. In situations like now there is no check on the government at all, a government which has a massively inflated majority. In situations like now the lords is utterly powerless, the opposition are powerless and what the PM says goes.
I'd say the lords were pretty important in checking the government at the end of last year when there was an incompetent opposition no?

I'd say the lords were pretty important in checking the government at the end of last year when there was an incompetent opposition no?
I think that came more from the cross party opposition and collective will against a no deal Brexit arguably back bench MP's were far more important than the Lords in that war. The last time the Lords really became efficient at what it was doing was the Hunting Act and it didn't cover itself in glory then, mood has moved rapidly on since then as well. It all works fine theory but the reality is much different.

Despite being dealt a bad hand Cuomo has come across really well.

If I were him I'd stay well away from this election and stake a claim for the next one (assuming he's still Governor and fancies a crack at the big one) in three years time when the Democrat candidates start to throw their hats into the ring. By that point Sanders and Biden will be too old and out of the running and the Democrats should stand a better chance assuming they get their **** together and if the country are disillusioned with the Republicans because of eight years of Trump.

I am thinking trump needs to be defeated this year and all the his ideals he stands for. Another 4 years of him and what he stands for and is getting away with is unbearable. To be favourite again and win would confirm what a basket case American political landscape is, not that it isn't already.

To endorse him again in November and yes I would blame both swing state voters as well as Trump supporters who are too stupid to see Trump for what he is as nothing more of an endorsement of their values as well as his.

The electoral college system and it's perversities are what they are as is FPTP here.

Whatever your political affiliations you have to wish him well.

The c**t thats gonna put millions into poverty with his self-interested Brexit stance that made the difference in the referendum and has killed thousands with his inaction at the critical phase of this?

Pardon me if I'll pass.

The only problem I see with him being sidelined for several months is that the supporting cast (with the possible exception of Sunak - who I've not had enough time to form an opinion on) are inept as well. Who is in charge now? "Dover" Raab?

Good luck to Bojo. Over to you ICU staff to save him and hope he doesn't have any underlying conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts