• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

She's using the same playbook as Trump and right wingers: deny, deflect, divide, delay etc

The most useless PM in our history and she has some pretty good company in recent years.
To be fair this book is nothing new really and o wouldn't say it's exclusively used by the right. Corbyn, for example, tried to deny and deflect a lot during the whole anti semitism thing and I'm sure there's plenty of other instances.

What Trump did that was different was invent a completely different reality, separate from anything grounded in fact and passed it off as truth.

The level of partisan politicking and shameless hypocrisy of Republicans is staggering, I've never seen it this bad in my lifetime. They aren't even being subtle about it, they are being utterly brazen in their lies and hypocrisy and a fair chunk of their base are too ******* thick to be able to even keep track of what they said only a few weeks earlier.

Republicans refuse to pass a Ukraine aid bill without border security funding being beefed up and other changes
Democrats get a bipartisan deal sorted in the Senate that includes many Republican demands for a border bill
Republicans in the House refuse to pass a border bill before even reading it as they say they will not pass a bill that ties border funding and Ukraine aid
Democrats split them apart and pass a separate border funding bill
Republicans, at Trump's behest, kill this separate border bill
Republicans also kill the Ukraine aid bill in the senate because it now doesn't include border funding

These people are taking the ******* ****.

To be fair this book is nothing new really and o wouldn't say it's exclusively used by the right. Corbyn, for example, tried to deny and deflect a lot during the whole anti semitism thing and I'm sure there's plenty of other instances.

What Trump did that was different was invent a completely different reality, separate from anything grounded in fact and passed it off as truth.
It still rumbles on in Labour with the likes of Owen Jones on the left chucking in his Labour membership over Starmer and Gaza. More the left of the party deflecting and dividing. Starmers a tory, can't be trusted etc, etc. Far left and right same coin different sides.

It still rumbles on in Labour with the likes of Owen Jones on the left chucking in his Labour membership over Starmer and Gaza. More the left of the party deflecting and dividing. Starmers a tory, can't be trusted etc, etc. Far left and right same coin different sides.
Owen Jones is an absolute bell end. Even when I sometimes agree with the general point he's making he does it in such a divisive way. He's like the left wing version of Douglas Murray, who is also a complete utter tool.

I'll never vote tory, but I feel like Labour are just going to replace the tory questionables with their own. What Wes Streeting is doing in labour, I'll never know.

Big difference is Corbyn wasn't PM.
And Trump has to have an audience to play to and easily accept it as well.

Big difference is Corbyn wasn't PM.

And Trump has to have an audience to play to and easily accept it as well.
Corbyn wasn't PM but the Labour Party driven by Momentum and the left were stupid enough to think he could be. One of the reason we've been stuck with a Conservative government for so long.

Trumps audience was 74,222,958. Which is scary enough. I don't buy they are all thick racists, but equally can't understand what he's selling that they've buying either. Yet he's still narrowly ahead in the polls i think.

Corbyn wasn't PM but the Labour Party driven by Momentum and the left were stupid enough to think he could be. One of the reason we've been stuck with a Conservative government for so long.

Trumps audience was 74,222,958. Which is scary enough. I don't buy they are all thick racists, but equally can't understand what he's selling that they've buying either. Yet he's still narrowly ahead in the polls i think.
I think polling here is misleading. Yeah the polls show it's tight but when you look at every election since Trump first took office, Democrats have overperformed and Republicans underperformed every time. Most recently Democrats running on solidly left wing policies and openly in favour of choice when it comes to abortions have been winning and by some margin in places like Alabama. If deep red Alabama can swing to Democrat in a single cycle off the back of abortion, imagine what will happen elsewhere. Polling would indicate all these elections should have been 50/50 but they haven't, Republicans have been getting battered and the big red wave that was predicted by polling in 2022 completely failed to materialise. The tiny majority Republicans have has since been chipped down to just 1 now due to resignations and the fact they have lost every special election that has happened.

Corbyn was a more complex one then that: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/19/key-takeaways-forde-report-labour-factionalism

As for trump 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Is this man being deliberately provocative? I think so.

Last edited:

Is this man being deliberately provocative? I think so.

When I first read about this I had sympathy for him as it sounded like he was there by chance and was innocently trying to cross the road but it has since transpired that he was there with an entourage and a film crew lol.

I think his motives are pretty clear. The police handled it poorly by referring to him as being 'openly Jewish' but it looks like he was (a) trying to be provocative and (b) put pressure on the police who in fairness to them have been put in a very difficult position thanks to the actions of Hamas and Netanyahu. He's since been on multiple TV shows calling for the new head of the Met to stand down.

Like all good comedy there's a lot of truth in there and I think the guy in the middle probably represents where most people are at the moment.

The tricky question with peace, though, is how much of the scale you tip towards peace and how much towards justice.

Latest posts