• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

This, just because something is technically legal, doesn't mean it's right. I would have thought Labour would be more interested in avoiding the appearance of favours for mates.
I'm faintly hoping they are appointing certain people to try and speed up get changes through after years of Conservative wastefulness. That is a very faint hope though.

Quick question/suggestion (may need a separate thread)
Given the ever increasing amount is of deliberate misinformation on Twitter, and the tweaking of algorithms to boost said misinformation, and the spread of hatred.

Could we make an informal local rule to maybe copy/paste the contents, or title, rather than just linking?

I've now set my browser (Firefox) to disable embedding from twitter, and I'm going to (try to) stop linking it, or clicking links in.
I just want to starve it of my views and clicks.

Looks like austerity is back on the menu (did it ever leave)

I know you can't magic money out of nowhere (well, without kicking the can down the road) and they've inherited a right mess, but it's still depressing

Hopefully the raised taxes are on corporations etc. considering the labour manifesto spoke about how the tax burden on working people atm is the worst ever and they pledged not to raise taxes

Looks like austerity is back on the menu (did it ever leave)

I know you can't magic money out of nowhere (well, without kicking the can down the road) and they've inherited a right mess, but it's still depressing

Hopefully the raised taxes are on corporations etc. considering the labour manifesto spoke about how the tax burden on working people atm is the worst ever and they pledged not to raise taxes
Its the worst ever but also not at European levels.

From my reading it's capital taxes like IHT and CGT rates that will go up or they will reduce thresholds. They are already going increasing the tax net for non-doms.

They have little scope to increase IT/NIC and VAT if they are not going to break their promises in their manifesto.

As posted before it is nonsense that any Govt. will run out of money and austerity is BS. They'll do it early so they can blame the previous Govt.

From my reading it's capital taxes like IHT and CGT rates that will go up or they will reduce thresholds. They are already going increasing the tax net for non-doms.

They have little scope to increase IT/NIC and VAT if they are not going to break their promises in their manifesto.

As posted before it is nonsense that any Govt. will run out of money and austerity is BS. They'll do it early so they can blame the previous Govt.
One of the major issue we have is how much of the tax burden is spent on debt rather than literally everything else.

Interesting points on public sector pay increasing the borrowing. I know in some councils Unite and Unison are not accepting the NJC pay offer for local government pay.

One of the major issue we have is how much of the tax burden is spent on debt rather than literally everything else.

Well according to the IFS UK Govt. spending is around £1155 billion a year of which 8.4% was on spent servicing of net interest payment of the debt - the rest on everything else. HMRC collected £829billion in tax revenue in 2022/23. Our total National debt is around £2.7 trillion or £2,700 billion - so how much of the tax is spent on paying it that down rather than just the interest? But like with all debt the income in brought is doesn't always match the spending - there is always a lag and the national debt is made up of a great deal of GILTs, NSIs, which don't have to be repaid immediately or are ongoing liabilities.

Tomorrow (I think) marks the day that Kier Starmer draws level with Liz Truss for time spent as Prime Minister.

So apparently Hulk Hogan at a Trump rally openly asked if he should physically assault Harris (admittedly using wrestling moves) and then said she is like a Chameleon who doesn't know what race she is before raising his hand and saying "how" is the stereotypical native american greeting, because the cretin didn't even realise she is Indian indian not the outdated term for native Americans...

Republicans really are wallowing in the cesspit.

So apparently Hulk Hogan at a Trump rally openly asked if he should physically assault Harris (admittedly using wrestling moves) and then said she is like a Chameleon who doesn't know what race she is before raising his hand and saying "how" is the stereotypical native american greeting, because the cretin didn't even realise she is Indian indian not the outdated term for native Americans...

He's always struck me as being pretty thick and so is tailor made for a Trump rally especially when you throw in his ignorance.

Political campaigning across the pond seems to be about celebrity and online influencer endorsements now - maybe that's a reflection of modern day society with many famous people having huge followings. It all seems like big concert/entertainment events rather than communicating what they actually stand for in any detail. When they do speak it's all scripted lines having a pop at each other with most insults coming from the orange one's camp.

Last edited:
It's ignorance and reflects their leader and let's be honest most of the his support base.

He's a known racist.

Is this proof that privatisation of utilities hasn't worked?

Could it ever work?

If they'd fix the undue difficulties in sacking public sector workers that aren't pulling their weight then it'd never make sense to privatise.

As usual, legal sector have a lot to answer for - in this case they hold the public sector to a very different (and unrealistic) standard compared to private.

Latest posts