[2024 TRC] Australia vs South Africa - 17/08/24

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Just getting this started because the Springboks team has been announced and it's uhh... interesting
1723549473510.png

That Springbok team, as a neutral, really annoys me. People pay good money to go to these test matches and they don't expect to see International sides not putting their best team out when they are able to do so. To me that's why, as a tournament, the 6 Nations will always be a better watch. SA have always had a half-hearted attitude to this tournament and stuff like this shows it.

That Springbok team, as a neutral, really annoys me. People pay good money to go to these test matches and they don't expect to see International sides not putting their best team out when they are able to do so. To me that's why, as a tournament, the 6 Nations will always be a better watch. SA have always had a half-hearted attitude to this tournament and stuff like this shows it.

Mmm, I honestly don't mind it tbh. If we are really going to see who can step up and be able to perform on the global stage we need to test players and bring them through the systems at the start of a World Cup cycle. Our other players in the squad have a significant lean to be over 32/33 years old, so if we don't want to be in a position of significant rebuild after next World Cup, get it in now.

Looking at that team, the backline is either experienced Springboks (11 to 15) or our up and coming juniors (9 and 10) and you could argue that our 10 is the best we have to offer at the moment, combining the best of the playing styles of Libbok and Pollard.

In the forwards, you have again our up and coming juniors who deserve their spots (5, 8), some World cup winning loose forwards (6,7) and then a very green front row, but a front row that has been very dominant in the URC and has the exact type of versatility that Rassie loves. You also have Moerat who is being thrust forward for a future Captain position it seems (jury still out on this - Consistent injuries make him difficult to judge) and Thomas du Toit who has been very dominant in the Premiership for Bath.

And when it comes to subs time, its all RWC winners rolling on... most of them 2x RWC winners.

We had this approach and it failed in a one-off against Wales back in 2019 (I think it was). But in general, Rassie has tried to ensure we've had a squad of two sets of players that are similar quality that its easy plug and play switching out if injuries occur. Definitely helps us when it gets to the World Cup. I don't think SA fans are upset from a capability or skillset perspective of players individually... but we historically haven't been the best at rocking up two matches in a row (see Lions tour, us vs Australia in Australia recently and the Irish tour), so I guess the fear is complacency/being seen as arrogance. I think the full switch up in the team removes any players approach being complacent, as these are all hungry players trying to nail their positions down in a very competitive squad... and PSDT... he is just there because he doesn't know complacent... he just knows hit.

They've can do whatever they like. At least it might make it more competitive for the neutral viewer. 6am wake to watch a drubbing.

They'll still win by 20+ chill. There are more caps in like 3 of those bench players than our entire team.

I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand I find it hard to say that these players aren't deserving of a start (though I still don't understand Moerat's continued captaincy of the "Bok B team") and there is the argument that a carbon copy side might not be as "hungry" BUT I do feel there is a chance for a lacklustre game due to a lack in combinations. Much like the loss to Japan in the RWC where one couldn't say the players weren't class but despite a ton of caps individually, there was a lack of time together ITO combinations.

I am all for developing depth and understand we have a ton of forced alternatives due to injuries to contend with but even so simply bringing in say Nortje and two front rowers on top of continuing with Louw and SFM would've been good. Maybe start Williams and get MvdB on the bench. This just smacks of Rassie's brazenness which I am not convinced is a good thing- my gut tells me we got RWC success despite the 6-1 spllits etc rather than because of it. He is peerless when it comes to man management though and I suppose he has earned the license to get the benefit of the doubt.

eDIT: The more I think about Moerat the more confused I get. It smacks of the Dweba selection where you have to play them. Its just wasted caps IMO as I can't see him as a long term option. I mean, he is probably the 3rd best lock at the Stormers yet captaining the Bokke? I know De Jager, Mostert and Snyman are all three injured but there is still a whole raft of locks I'd rather see; Nortje is there at least I suppose but I really rate Van Heerden failing which look in at Jean Kleyn again or Jason Jenkins or just a whole raft of alternatives. Odd.

Last edited:
Wallabies team to play South Africa at Optus Stadium in Perth on Saturday 17 August at 5:45pm AWST

1. Angus Bell (28 Tests) – Hunters Hill Rugby

2. Josh Nasser (3 Tests) - Easts Tigers

3. Allan Ala'alatoa (c) (71 Tests) – West Harbour Juniors

4. Angus Blyth (3 Tests) – Casuarina Beach Rugby Club

5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (33 Tests) – Randwick

6. Rob Valetini (43 Tests) – Harlequin Junior Rugby Club

7. Carlo Tizzano (1 Test) - University of Western Australia

8. Harry Wilson (14 Tests) – Gunnedah Red Devils

9. Nic White (68 Tests) – Maitland Blacks

10. Noah Lolesio (20 Tests) – Tuggeranong Vikings

11. Marika Koroibete (59 Tests) – Nasinu Secondary College, Fiji

12. Hunter Paisami (28 Tests) - Harlequin Junior Rugby Club

13. Len Ikitau (30 Tests) – Tuggeranong Vikings

14. Andrew Kellaway (30 Tests) – Hunters Hill Rugby

15. Tom Wright (29 Tests) – Clovelly Eagles

Substitutes

16. Billy Pollard (3 Tests) – Lindfield Junior Rugby Club

17. James Slipper (137 Tests) – Bond Pirates

18. Zane Nonggorr (7 Tests) – Gold Coast Eagles

19. Tom Hooper (9 Tests) – Bathurst Bulldogs

20. Seru Uru* - Wests Bulldogs

21. Tate McDermott (32 Tests) – Flinders Rugby Club

22. Ben Donaldson (9 Tests) – Clovelly Eagles

23. Max Jorgensen* - Balmain Wolves

Couple more debutants in Jorgensen and Uru. Nice to see Bell and Koroibete back. Sincerely hope they are both fit.

At least two seasons too soon for Jorgensen IMO. Glad to see Uru's recent work rewarded though.

Lol that's really funny. They muted the crowd audio for the SA national anthem but then put it back on for the Aus anthem (you could hear a change in the cheering after the anthem). Seem a bit embarrassed by the SA turn up.

Every single wallaby kick is just straight to a bok,
All game their kicking from hand has been terrible

Look they are clearly worlds better than us but **** do SA get away with some ****. He was holding onto the player for like 10 full seconds after being told to let go slowing the play down and nothing. Then, the very next ruck the tackle clearly doesnt release and its an instant penalty against us.

We are already way ******* worse. Just pushing **** up a hill with the way the game is reffed right now.

Wha
Look they are clearly worlds better than us but **** do SA get away with some ****. He was holding onto the player for like 10 full seconds after being told to let go slowing the play down and nothing. Then, the very next ruck the tackle clearly doesnt release and its an instant penalty against us.

We are already way ******* worse. Just pushing **** up a hill with the way the game is reffed right now.
What are you on about! Wallabies didn't put in one single straight line out and got away with murder and you blame the ref who lets yellow players neck roll and shoulder charge etc etc without penalty. Get those blinkers off, mate.

Latest posts