17 Gerhard Steenekamp
18 Vincent Koch
19 Ben-Jason Dixon
20 Marco van Staden
21 Kwagga Smith
22 Grant Williams
23 Handré Pollard

Head coach: Rassie Erasmus

Can't see anything but 13+ for the Bokke. There's never been a bigger gulf in class between the Wallabies and Springboks in the professional era. Australia will score a couple of tries but that will be as good as it gets. 35-18 SA.

Slightly painful wake up. Hopefully it's a good game

Was worth it for an SA supporter. Really rough game for Aussie fans. Never really looked like scoring when it was 15v15. So much territory and possession dominance from SA that they're honestly going to be a bit disappointed they didn't score more. WLR absolutely butchered one in the first half. Also started picking up the try scoring in the last 20 minutes and the loss in discipline/3 yellow cards obviously hacked down that momentum.

Very much a rebuilding phase for Australia. I'll be impressed if they can make it competitive next week, even more so if they manage a win after that performance.

A simple formality for South Africa to see a training match. Rugby 15 in Australia has been in decline for a decade. The logic has been respected.
Congratulations to South Africa.

I have a question about this play

I know the rules says (lawman terms) that if you pick up someone you are responsible of how that person lands. I get that and it makes sense. But here the tackler was doing everything within his power to prevent any dangerous landing and it was (another) south African player who intervenes, drops the Australian tackler, forcing him to drop the ball carrier.
Basically, it looks like it was the second south african the one who endangered the landing, not the australian.

It's a tricky one.

Was worth it for an SA supporter. Really rough game for Aussie fans. Never really looked like scoring when it was 15v15. So much territory and possession dominance from SA that they're honestly going to be a bit disappointed they didn't score more. WLR absolutely butchered one in the first half. Also started picking up the try scoring in the last 20 minutes and the loss in discipline/3 yellow cards obviously hacked down that momentum.

Very much a rebuilding phase for Australia. I'll be impressed if they can make it competitive next week, even more so if they manage a win after that performance.

I watched the game live and it felt like the Boks left at least 14 points on the field

I have a question about this play

I know the rules says (lawman terms) that if you pick up someone you are responsible of how that person lands. I get that and it makes sense. But here the tackler was doing everything within his power to prevent any dangerous landing and it was (another) south African player who intervenes, drops the Australian tackler, forcing him to drop the ball carrier.
Basically, it looks like it was the second south african the one who endangered the landing, not the australian.

It's a tricky one.

It's strict liability, like carrying explosives on a train.

Once he lifts him pastel horizontal it's on him for the guy to land safely. It's the risk you take trying to create a maul like that.

Once he lifts him pastel horizontal it's on him for the guy to land safely.
Well, the problem with that is that on one hand WR (and most people let's be honest) claims to care about player safety while on the other hand the rules created the incentives for a south african player to collpase a formation and have his own team mate land with the head. In that play you had the ball carrier, one green and one gold. The gold was protecting the ball carrier, green was not. The rules punish(ed) gold.

I am not saying that you are misquoting the rule. I am saying that if that is the case then there goes their argument about player's safety.

Wallabies just making up the numbers. Would any player in that 23 make the team of another country? Doubt it.

Been rebuilding for 15 years...

The Aussies sure laid an egg in that match and RSF crushed it. 🏉

eva de roo break an egg GIF by Studio Brussel

I never really rated Aussie packs of old even though they always tended to have ~two world class forwards but its a strange feeling to think I wouldn't have a single back in my team, not even on the bench. They always had names in the back that were intimidating on paper because of what you knew they could do even behind a beaten pack. Larkham, Latham, Mortlock, Giteau.. I could go on. But I wouldn't have any of the current crop in ahead of any of our backs. Now TBF, I do believe that we have never had the abundance of quality in the back that we do now, but at the same time Aus looks to be lacking. It could very easily have been 50 zip if it weren't for very soft yellows and unforced errors.

Wallabies just making up the numbers. Would any player in that 23 make the team of another country? Doubt it.
Would Australia be favourites to win any game against a top 8 side home or away?. Not for me at the moment. They were in two dogfights against an absolutely dire Welsh side. If the Wallabies were playing Italy this weekend would they win?. I genuinely don't think so. Their best hope next week is to score a couple of tries and lose by less than this week. To expect anything else is just dreaming.

Schmidt's job is to get the team playing as more than the sum of its parts. He's pretty good at that but it takes time, even more so in today's game than 10 years ago when he picked us up from our lowest ranking ever.

Games against teams ranked in the top 4 are beyond them right now. Target two wins in Argentina and 2/4 in Autumn is a good return and platform to build on next year.

The Lions is realistically out of reach (and boring asf) but a solid home world cup has to be achievable.

I didn't know the Wallabies still had fans as passionate as this (language warning):

Latest posts