• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland - 03/02/24

Ohhhh. Love a cheeky U turn. Nice one Scotland. At least we should lose in a more entertaining manner now

Tbf as a viewer I'd rather watch a great game under the roof than a rubbish game with the roof open when there's the chance to avoid such a scenario. I can see why Scotland have changed their mind if it's forecasting rain. They probably think that if they play the game at pace then that will be too much for Wales.

Tbf as a viewer I'd rather watch a great game under the roof than a rubbish game with the roof open when there's the chance to avoid such a scenario. I can see why Scotland have changed their mind if it's forecasting rain. They probably think that if they play the game at pace then that will be too much for Wales.
How much do the players even notice in terms of atmosphere? Not much if any would be my guess. Maybe for the anthems but once the game starts you're going to be pretty zoned in. As you say, though, from a fan perspective it's better to watch a game under the roof especially if conditions are bad.

Finn's goal kicking has been patchy of late. I know it's windy and exposed at the Rec and so a closed roof doesn't do him any harm in that regard. Hopefully the big screen says "RESPECT MESSI"
There is that whole thing where they say the ball can be a bit slippery when the roof is closed. Dont know how true that is but I can see how that can be true.

I don't think you have to worry about goalkicking anyway. Russell can have an off day and you'll still be alright. Costelow is at best a 70% goal kicker at the moment.

Kinghorn out is a big blow.

I really can't see us beating Wales. I think there are questions about the ceiling Gatland puts on talented squads, but he's very good at elevating weak squads on paper.

Question is, would the rain have been more of an equaliser for Wales, or do they benefit from atmosphere and experience of playing in the hotter greasier climate?

I think Wales will benefit from this!
There is that whole thing where they say the ball can be a bit slippery when the roof is closed. Dont know how true that is but I can see how that can be true.

I don't think you have to worry about goalkicking anyway. Russell can have an off day and you'll still be alright. Costelow is at best a 70% goal kicker at the moment.
I have been on the pitch during an international (not playing lol) during both open and closed roof...

It's more of a greasy film the ball gets, as does the pitch. I'm not sure if its condensation, or the mix of extra heat and movement, but it certainly is a bit different.

As you say tho, Messi could kick at 25% and not only will that be enough, it'll be better than Costelow who basically embarrassed himself at the Dragons this year

OK - Scotland will win this game. Quite comfortably as well.
In the past, this fixture has produced some great open games. I dont think this will be one of those. To all non-Scottish and Welsh supporters. Dont watch it if you will only come on here and moan about the turgidity.
The roof - traditionally its an open air game. But traditionally it used to be an amateur sport. Things change. Home team should pick every time and opposition shouldn't get a say. We will stop talking about it then

Costelow - he worries me.
For Wales sake, hope we keep it close 🫣

OK - Scotland will win this game. Quite comfortably as well.
In the past, this fixture has produced some great open games. I dont think this will be one of those. To all non-Scottish and Welsh supporters. Dont watch it if you will only come on here and moan about the turgidity.
The roof - traditionally its an open air game. But traditionally it used to be an amateur sport. Things change. Home team should pick every time and opposition shouldn't get a say. We will stop talking about it then

Costelow - he worries me.
For Wales sake, hope we keep it close 🫣
I promise not to mention the game being turgid even if it is. As long as Wales fans don't mention feyi-wabosi being welsh even if he is.

I promise not to mention the game being turgid even if it is. As long as Wales fans don't mention feyi-wabosi being welsh even if he is.
Its a deal. Although to me, I have no issue with it. However, I do wonder if he would have opted differently if we didnt have a 25 cap rule in place?!

There's a lot of young talent in this Welsh team, which is great to see. It's probably the best time in a 'WC cycle' to blood this sort of team. My main concern continues to be at 10, we don't have a world class player ant 10 and the Welsh game has often been built on that. It's a write off six nations for me, I'd like to see them expressing themselves and finding the new identity this team needs. Watching the Netflix doc, I wasn't convinced Gatland has the spark or creativity to lead it.

I love Winnett he's been great for Cardiff against some very strong teams, but he's up against a clever 10 who'll be looking to get him out of position and bomb him a lot. It's a big step up and I'm hoping he goes well and is given the time to bed in as he will make some errors today, but has a bright future.

Scotland have an excellent team at the moment with some big superstars, so the reality is that our Scottish brothers should be getting their first win in Cardiff for some time and do so comfortably. For all the years they say it's their year, I hope they have a good crack at it this year as it's fair to say they've built a very good team.

There's a lot of young talent in this Welsh team, which is great to see. It's probably the best time in a 'WC cycle' to blood this sort of team. My main concern continues to be at 10, we don't have a world class player ant 10 and the Welsh game has often been built on that. It's a write off six nations for me, I'd like to see them expressing themselves and finding the new identity this team needs. Watching the Netflix doc, I wasn't convinced Gatland has the spark or creativity to lead it.

I love Winnett he's been great for Cardiff against some very strong teams, but he's up against a clever 10 who'll be looking to get him out of position and bomb him a lot. It's a big step up and I'm hoping he goes well and is given the time to bed in as he will make some errors today, but has a bright future.

Scotland have an excellent team at the moment with some big superstars, so the reality is that our Scottish brothers should be getting their first win in Cardiff for some time and do so comfortably. For all the years they say it's their year, I hope they have a good crack at it this year as it's fair to say they've built a very good team.
None of these 10's are very good at regional level, this is a huge problem for Wales going forward.

Front row is going to be painful, scrum under pressure, lineout under pressure, poor kicking game, defence should be eager if nothing else, and Winnett will be exploited positionally and under a high ball.
IIt's going to be a painful season for Welsh fans, compounded with how bad the regional fans have felt this season so far, it's pretty depressing!

None of these 10's are very good at regional level, this is a huge problem for Wales going forward.

Front row is going to be painful, scrum under pressure, lineout under pressure, poor kicking game, defence should be eager if nothing else, and Winnett will be exploited positionally and under a high ball.
IIt's going to be a painful season for Welsh fans, compounded with how bad the regional fans have felt this season so far, it's pretty depressing!
Well, reading your comments are certinly making me depressed 😋🤣

Thought the warning of a yellow card was really harsh for offside this early - as long as O'Keffe is threatening yellow cards to both sides this quickly then fair enough.

Latest posts