• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland - 03/02/24

Don't hate the side personally, especially given the players unavailable, like North and Rowlands.

My main gripe is with Mathias who's struggled scrum time all season. Brown is a gamble with his injury record, but I'm really hoping he can string a run of games together. Gareth Davies' form has been terrible this season, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Some serious backline firepower on the bench with Tomos, Lloyd and Grady!

Amazing how two people can watch the same players and see something completely different! Imo Winnet looks remarkably assured for a fullback so young. He's shown glimpses in attack for Cardiff, both as a runner and distributor + he looked lethal at times for the U20's last year. His aerial ability is excellent, really assured. Defensively he's still learning, he can miss the odd one on one tackle, but his positioning is superb which is very encouraging. His kicking from hand is also excellent. If he wasn't injured, I'd be starting him on Sat.

I think you need to start looking for the positives in life 😉
Well, he's fit and starting, so let's see if I got this one completely wrong. I think we'll see him flourish.

The main positives for me are:

Rowlands isn't injured (and fingers crossed it's nothing serious we should see him back against England)

Winnett is fit and gets his first cap. What a year this kid has had. I was in here prior to the WC saying we should take this kid instead of Halfpenny but I have an exceptional rugby brain and am generally ahead of the curve so didn't expect Gatland to cap him by this point.

That's about it really. I'm pleased for Botham I suppose, he deserves it. As @dullonien says we've got some good back options on the bench but why aren't they starting would be what I'd say. Watkin isn't even a 13. What's the point in having Roberts and Grady if they're not going to play when North is injured. I assumed Watkin would be covering Tompkins but I guess he's in for defensive security and hoping he might make 1 or 2 rips.

Scotland to win but not by as much as they should do looking at the teams on paper. It would be very Scotland to lose to probably the weakest Welsh team in the 6N for 20 years. Wales 20 Scotland 26 would be my prediction.

Bench is very Scottish

7/8 from foreign academies, 5/8 foreign u20s, 2/8 full foreign internationals

Well, he's fit and starting, so let's see if I got this one completely wrong. I think we'll see him flourish.
Hes only starting because North didnt recover, otherwise we'd have seen North at 13 and Adam's at 15 I suspect. Grady is the form player for Cardiff, and has actually played more than 20 games of pro rugby lol.

I think Scotland should pepper him, especially of Dyers side of the pitch, Steyn and VDM will have a field day.

The main positives for me are:

Rowlands isn't injured (and fingers crossed it's nothing serious we should see him back against England)

Winnett is fit and gets his first cap. What a year this kid has had. I was in here prior to the WC saying we should take this kid instead of Halfpenny but I have an exceptional rugby brain and am generally ahead of the curve so didn't expect Gatland to cap him by this point.

That's about it really. I'm pleased for Botham I suppose, he deserves it. As @dullonien says we've got some good back options on the bench but why aren't they starting would be what I'd say. Watkin isn't even a 13. What's the point in having Roberts and Grady if they're not going to play when North is injured. I assumed Watkin would be covering Tompkins but I guess he's in for defensive security and hoping he might make 1 or 2 rips.
What does Botham deserve, hes veen injured up until late, he only has a few Cardiff games under his belt this season. I'd have Young there over him 10/10 times.

I think the Rowlands departure stopped the Jenkins at 6 party, and that's how Botham has snuck in. If Rowlands returns hes head and shoulders above every other lock we have.

I know Watkins isnt a 13, but he has a rugby brain, Robert's is too defensively small, and Grady, well Tom James and Andy Powell looks like rugby Einsteins in comparison!

My thoughts?

I was worried when I thought Gareth Thomas, Rowlands, and North were starting, with them not in the starting team we dont have a scrum, lineout or any real brains in the tight 5. Domachowski is reckless, Brown is made of glass, Jenkins might trip over his nappy, and Beard, well he'll do what Beard does and be big and heavy.

Back row makes sense without Rowlands in the team, although I'm convinced Jenkins will see 6 at some point, and despite probably being where we are depleted the most, is our strength (wtf am I saying).

Davies has to play with Costello, and basically talk him through the game. Last time Costello played a pass in red he was sending an Argie into a semi final! Also hes missed at goal a LOT this season, including losing single handedly to the Dragons (missing from under the posts ffs).

Centres are the only centres we have, wingers are the only wingers we have, they wont be massive weaknesses, but there isnt a great leader or match winner there.

My biggest issue though is the last 20, tired kids and players without form or enough game time, replaced by inexperience and major weaknesses.

I just dont see how Wales can possibly beat this Scotland team, without a miracle of 2 red cards (I think Scotland beat us WITH a red card), or a world class defensive performance followed by Costelow hitting 60% at goal (meaning Wales need to be given 25 pens kickable).

Can't argue with any of that.

Concerned that injury has hit a couple of key players, Graham, Kinghorn, Darge (and the lack of Gilcrest until next week)

I don't know anything about Rowe, his experience limited to 12 mins against Argentina on a summer tour a couple of years ago (I hadn't noticed Ollie Smith was missing from the squad injured)

Torn on this as I've lived in Wales a few years yet i learnt to play rugby at school in Dunfermline. Feel Scotland have too much experience Scotland by 15-20.

Latest posts