• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland - 03/02/24

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68167772. Here we go again…. Yawn. He can cry about it as much as he wants, the rules are the rules. It's rubbish like this why I dislike Gatland.
He's not wrong though is he. I mean, it's a stupid rule and he's ALWAYS asked the question every time so it's not like he's bringing it up. The press know what they're doing and Gatland is well within his rights to give his opinion on what clearly is a stupid rule.

Happy to be corrected by my understanding of their rationale is that it creates an unfair sporting advantage. I mean wtf. lol. It's our stadium. Do the 6N go around other stadiums and make sure they all have the same capacity? Do they send officials to each ground to make sure that all stadiums set of fans are cheering on at exactly the same loudness? It's ridiculous. This wouldn't happen in any other sport other than rugby and while Gatland is just answering questions being put towards him I'd be going a lot more strong on how stupid the rule is.

I always thought the principle was "Rugby's an outdoor sport" - which it is.
From memory, WRU needed permission to to even be able to invite opponents to allow the roof to be closed - because rugby is an outdoor sport.

I could be wrong but I always thought it was more to do with the change in playing conditions when the roof is closed. Atmosphere is a factor but if a team is more familiar in those conditions then it's an advantage. I know in tennis the ball travels through the air more quickly, bounces higher and the surface becomes more greasy. Not too dissimilar to the advantage teams get when their home pitch is artificial/4G.

Knowing that Wales like the roof closed it would be utter madness from Townsend to agree to it. I don't see any visiting HC ever agreeing to it knowing how Gatland and Wales feel about it tbh.

I always thought the principle was "Rugby's an outdoor sport" - which it is.
From memory, WRU needed permission to to even be able to invite opponents to allow the roof to be closed - because rugby is an outdoor sport.
This is also totally stupid and as I say, something only rugby could do. Actually, that's not true, it's ONLY the 6N that decide to implement this weird rule, autumn internationals and world cups have been fine but it's what it is. Luckily I don't think its that important but it's more the principle than anything else.

I could be wrong but I always thought it was more to do with the change in playing conditions when the roof is closed. Atmosphere is a factor but if a team is more familiar in those conditions then it's an advantage. I know in tennis the ball travels through the air more quickly, bounces higher and the surface becomes more greasy. Not too dissimilar to the advantage teams get when their home pitch is artificial/4G.

Knowing that Wales like the roof closed it would be utter madness from Townsend to agree to it. I don't see any visiting HC ever agreeing to it knowing how Gatland and Wales feel about it tbh.
If true then this makes no sense either. Part of playing at home is that you have an advantage by default that it is your home and you play on it more. But yeah, have no issues with Townsend, or any other nation, not agreeing to close it, why would you if you had the choice.

I've always seen a team insisting on the roof being open as handing the pre match mind games to Wales. Schmidt did it in 2019, they were riled up Ireland were flat. Farrell has never made an issue of it and got on well in Cardiff (would be 2 from 2 bar two of the worst unforced individual player errors I've ever seen in international rugby).

The real winners of a team asking for the roof to stay open are tabloids though.

I predict Gareth Davies will kick the ball 938 times.

I assume the U turn relates to the weather. If it's looking like rain maybe Scotland would prefer to avoid an arm wrestle in the mud so that Messi can throw a few Hollywood passes and nail a few worldy cross field kicks.

Last edited:
I spoke to Gatland about this once, a fair few years ago and his mindset on the roof I thought was genius...

He never cared whether the roof was open or closed, he stated atmosphere didnt disperse with an open roof.

What he did, was ask media to ask him about the roof, and he always took the stance that a closed roof is better for Wales, whereas the instinct of the opposition coaches was to argue for it to be open.

Gatland explained it wasnt the outcome of the decision that was important, it was the decision making process, and having opposition players and coaches create discussion and disagreement amongst themselves about what they wanted.

He said he would regularly get people wanting it closed, reviewing whether reports, reviewing previous victories of Wales to see if they were more pumped with a closed roof etc etc...

And therefore if they were doing that, they werent preparing.

Latest posts