• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] France vs England - 16/03/24

I think England win by 6 but hope I'm wrong.
Away games against good teams are very tough, away games against teams with good players are pretty tough too.

France will be one of those and won't be complacent like Italy. England need to back up a very emotional winning performance with a good one at the very least, not easily done.

Away games against good teams are very tough, away games against teams with good players are pretty tough too.

France will be one of those and won't be complacent like Italy. England need to back up a very emotional winning performance with a good one at the very least, not easily done.
Yeah and losing IWM is a massive blow. Daly is way past his best now and I think he will start.

Saw that on Saturday when his first thought when coming on was to kick the ball away and he couldn't even do that competently.

Michael Jordan Crying GIF
******* Ford man.

With Tuilagi is on the bench does that mean that Smith is our back field cover? That's a horrid thought.

I understand Ford starting, he was instrumental in our attack vs Ireland and smith does offer a good impact from the bench but if we get an injury to a winger what happens? Slade to FB Furbank to wing? Manu to wing? Earl to wing?

What's the plan.

With Tuilagi is on the bench does that mean that Smith is our back field cover? That's a horrid thought.

I understand Ford starting, he was instrumental in our attack vs Ireland and smith does offer a good impact from the bench but if we get an injury to a winger what happens? Slade to FB Furbank to wing? Manu to wing? Earl to wing?

What's the plan.

No idea. SB will probably just wing it.

Roots is such a wet fart of a sub, not exactly game changing impact - though realistically was always going to happen, like Daly on the wing. I know they're both due to injury, but still feels a step back - would rather SB be baold and throw in Muir or Roebuck, Pepper (or call up Tuima) for the bench - was never going to happen, though, especially away in France

People always panic when a centre is in the 23 shirt, but we've got 15 cover in Smith and wing is the easiest position for reshuffle for if we do get an injury there.
Wouldn't exactly be first choice but even Manu has a couple of wing test starts under his belt

It's amazing how getting the winning DG means the bench impressed against Ireland. I thought they disrupted England's momentum and actually almost cost us the game, especially Care and Daly with their **** EJ era kicking.

Roots is such a wet fart of a sub, not exactly game changing impact - though realistically was always going to happen, like Daly on the wing. I know they're both due to injury, but still feels a step back - would rather SB be baold and throw in Muir or Roebuck, Pepper (or call up Tuima) for the bench - was never going to happen, though, especially away in France

People always panic when a centre is in the 23 shirt, but we've got 15 cover in Smith and wing is the easiest position for reshuffle for if we do get an injury there.
Wouldn't exactly be first choice but even Manu has a couple of wing test starts under his belt

Agree with the first para.

Don't want to see Smith at FB, even in an emergency. He's still only got 2 seconds experience there and while he's skilful and brave he still ended up looking like roadkill after the previous experiment.

Just no to Manu on the wing - he wasn't quick enough a decade ago. Plus we've been exposed defensively out wide and even at his peak Manu's defensive discipline in the sense of holding position was questionable.

If a wing goes down with Manu on the bench the only semi sensible, and still far from ideal, option feels like Furbank to wing, Slade to FB and Manu to centre.

Also worth noting that France have gone 6:2 in every match while we've gone 5:3. Given their power and that we've lost CCS, wonder if there will be a temptation for 6:2 as well.

And finally.

In the all important Wattbike news Chessum is the new squad watt meister having been barely able to beat Borthwick a year ago,

If a wing goes down with Manu on the bench the only semi sensible, and still far from ideal, option feels like Furbank to wing, Slade to FB and Manu to centre.
Smith has three times as many starts at 15 than Slade does (plus another few off the bench)

I wouldn't start him there but if we're talking hypothetical injury situations then Furbank to wing and Smith to 15 makes way more sense

Smith has three times as many starts at 15 than Slade does (plus another few off the bench)

I wouldn't start him there but if we're talking hypothetical injury situations then Furbank to wing and Smith to 15 makes way more sense
Furbank has never played wing though.

The whole thing is stupid as a centre on the bench with our Slade and Lawrence on the pitch is just stupid.

We're all working on the assumption that Daly starts, which seems to have been leaked. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, *we* all can see that the sensible thing would be to keep Daly on the bench as a utility player to cover most of the backs division, which makes a 6:2 bench realistic option.
IMHO he's not starting jersey material anyway.

Agree with the first para.

Don't want to see Smith at FB, even in an emergency. He's still only got 2 seconds experience there and while he's skilful and brave he still ended up looking like roadkill after the previous experiment.

Just no to Manu on the wing - he wasn't quick enough a decade ago. Plus we've been exposed defensively out wide and even at his peak Manu's defensive discipline in the sense of holding position was questionable.

Also worth noting that France have gone 6:2 in every match while we've gone 5:3. Given their power and that we've lost CCS, wonder if there will be a temptation for 6:2 as well.

And finally.

In the all important Wattbike news Chessum is the new squad watt meister having been barely able to beat Borthwick a year ago,
What's wrong with that? Watt bikes are a great way of tracking fitness and stamina, amongst other things.

What's wrong with that? Watt bikes are a great way of tracking fitness and stamina, amongst other things.

Precisely nothing. Just recalling a bit of cynicism when big numbers have mentioned in the past.

If the Times is right in saying that Borthwick would beat Chessum on it while both were at Tigers then either Borthwick's Superman or it's an indication that what he was saying about players not being fit enough had some substance.

Times reporting that Tuilagi is likely to bench.

Borthwick is just trying to make himself look good

Let's not mention that a year ago Borthwick was Chessum a head coach at Leicester and Walters was his S&C.
I understand it might be him trying to flex how he has made these players fitter but if Chessum was that bad a year ago then it's solely on Borthwick and Walters