• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Wales vs France (11/03/22)

Wales defiantly exceeded expectations and were pretty solid, did however feel like Carley was a little inconsistent in terms of not rolling and sealing off pinging France pretty harshly at times whilst letting Wales get away with far more.

Wales were pitiful and France weren't much better. If it hadn't been for the ref I could have seen a much greater margin

We can't attack. We had tons of posession, partly due to France giving away silly pens, but we just sent individual runners over and over. Biggar poor ball in hand, centres non existent in attack, means our wingers weren't in the game apart from chasing up and unders.

We still have issues at the breakdown as well.

Proud of the pwrformance, thought a number of the forwards had very good games. Best performance from Rowlands in a Welsh shirt, Faletau immense again.

The Welsh must feel outCarleyed tonight, well done les bleus !

Just a quick look at Matthews's wikipedia page (I did not write that, but I completely agree...):

Matthew Carley (born 21 December 1984) is an English rugby union referee representing the Rugby Football Union. He is a regular referee in the English Premiership and has refereed games at European level. He holds the record for the longest advantage in history, allowing the team of his friend Dan to a 22 minutes advantage against France on march the 11th, 2022.
:D

T'was certainly a long advantage he played there. Although better than when refs come back for the advantage after a side butchers a clear try scoring oportunity, that one really grates

I think Wales found the wrong end of the whistle too on a few occasions where France had cleanly turned over the ball and Carley gave a penalty/advantage regardless.

Mole complained about it too so I'm right.

France look like winners. Wales have nothing to be ashamed of. Biggar oozes class. Now for 2nd place.....

France did well to not concede many kickable pens tonight. They were ill diciplined around the half way line, but didn't give Wales a sniff of points in the second half.

That wasn't pretty but France have answered the last really big question - could they win when not playing well. Well yes they could. There was a lot of endeavour from Wales but their attack looked laboured. Part of me thinks England could win next week and part of me thinks that having got over that hurdle tonight, France will win the Slam in style at home next weekend.

Just so inconsistent. We were really clinical last year and now we're the total opposite. I guess team selection hasn't had much continuity which obviously plays a factor but we simply can't attack. We're 3 years in with Pivac and we look clueless. Good effort but as Eddie Jones said we're a great hanging in the game type of team.

For all the praise for Biggar, much of it deserved, I thought he did nothing to help his attack. When France created the 4 on 3 for their try they used each player to pin his opposite number before giving Jelonch a stroll in. Twice towards the end of the game Wales created the same overlap and Biggar used up the advantage with a miss pass, allowing the two outside French defenders to number up. If ever the ball needed to simply go through the hands it was then.

Biggar has to be getting praise just because of the 50/22 kick right? Everything else was standard fare for a tier 1 starting fly half. That pop pass intercept was absolutely clueless.

The Guardian's match report includes the line "Not even Dan Biggar's mum would claim that he is more talented than his opposite number". Winced when I read it as there are lots of articles with him quoted as saying how much she meant to him following her death last year. The spirit of the comment is obvious and no doubt an innocent mistake, but I hope it gets corrected pretty quickly.

The Guardian's match report includes the line "Not even Dan Biggar's mum would claim that he is more talented than his opposite number". Winced when I read it as there are lots of articles with him quoted as saying how much she meant to him following her death last year. The spirit of the comment is obvious and no doubt an innocent mistake, but I hope it gets corrected pretty quickly.

That's an awful mistake that.

Although an engrossing arm wrestle, I could not help but think that France had "that game" that all grand slam chasing teams have, where they were trying not to lose rather than going out to win. They lost all of the attacking threat and control they have shown since the AIs. However Davies butchered try chance aside, they looked very comfortable in defence, even with the errors they were making. I do not think we will see that performance again from them, and I expect them to be fully on point at the Stade de France next weekend.
Wales on the other hand, well they gave their all, however since Gatland left "their all" is looking less impressive than before. Gone is the Gatland aura the team had that led them to ***les and slams. Pivac is increasingly dependant on Gatlands aging charges, with the massive problems at regional level, and the lack of true test level players coming through the Welsh system is only just starting to be felt. Perhaps the biggest indictment that this is the case is AWJ likely being parachuted into the test team for perineal wooden spooners Italy next weekend. Yes AWJ is a world class warrior, but he is in the autumn of his career and not Wales future. Without a minute of game time since the Autumn to go straight into the test team shows the lack of leadership and ability the wider Welsh team has. Of course for Pivac the emotional response of the Welsh faithful on seeing AWJ's return on a Saturday at the Principality, with the beers flowing and bread of heaven being sung in the stadium and around the city and a thumping win will likely be just the tonic and chance to place a band aid on a growing problem in the Welsh game.

Latest posts