• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (12/03/22)

We're poor out of Dublin, told have of the posh part of London before the game. But ******* hell we were aggressively **** today, don't know how you don't pick it up against that crowd.

Delighted winning against a genuinely mean crowd (copped needless insults and a third of a pint for not being English) but man we need to wise up and realise how privileged we are to have an intense following in Dublin and this doesn't translate to away and neutral games.

2 years ago I was saying the crowd isn't a factor in why a home game is an advantage, fair to admit I was very wrong.
There seemed to be a real sense of grievance circulating the crowd alright and they let it be known for sure. The respect the kicker thing went out the window! That galvanised the English lads and maybe stultified some of ours. The main issue I have with the performance though is how we managed the referee. He gave England control of every access point into the game and in my opinion he was riding the emotional rollercoaster every bit as much as Jamie George. Just take the sting out of that. Play no rugby ball in hand, be squeaky clean in defence and allow England to make mistakes. I'm not trying to be insulting here but they weren't a threat. Giving them the ball for a while wouldn't have led to much. The crowd will eventually die down (on account of English errors or lack of action), the referee will regain his composure somewhat and then you can look to play some rugby. Also, get in the referees ear as soon as. Raynal is an intransigent fucker at the best of times and I get the distinct impression he and Sexton aren't on the best of terms. Even so, ask for clarification on every decision and point out double standards when they occur. In short think your way through it.

Hometown refereeing is a thing, especially in the 6 Nations, and it shapes games. We benefit from it all the time in Dublin. It's not without a measure of control for me though and the really good teams that get a grip of it are able to attain a consistency of performance. We're definitely not there yet.

Even though i'm *****ing about the referee and complaining about elements of the performance, there were lots of positives for us that i'm taking for granted. I've been reading a lot about English forward dominance. I'll accept set piece dominance but in general play i thought the collisions were pretty much even. When it mattered too, 5 metres out, their maul was stopped dead... it was allowed to remain stationary for 20+ seconds too. That's a big plus for us.

Totally agree with your comments regarding Jones tenure, England aren't going anywhere under this current coaching team.
The time for change is now.
If the RFU think we look anything like World Cup contenders at the moment with only one autumn series and 6 Nations to go then they're even more deluded than I thought. We've went backwards massively since the semi final win and don't look any further forward than this time last year in my opinion. All this despite the now familiar annual turnaround in coaching staff under Jones.

There seemed to be a real sense of grievance circulating the crowd alright and they let it be known for sure. The respect the kicker thing went out the window! That galvanised the English lads and maybe stultified some of ours. The main issue I have with the performance though is how we managed the referee. He gave England control of every access point into the game and in my opinion he was riding the emotional rollercoaster every bit as much as Jamie George. Just take the sting out of that. Play no rugby ball in hand, be squeaky clean in defence and allow England to make mistakes. I'm not trying to be insulting here but they weren't a threat. Giving them the ball for a while wouldn't have led to much. The crowd will eventually die down (on account of English errors or lack of action), the referee will regain his composure somewhat and then you can look to play some rugby. Also, get in the referees ear as soon as. Raynal is an intransigent fucker at the best of times and I get the distinct impression he and Sexton aren't on the best of terms. Even so, ask for clarification on every decision and point out double standards when they occur. In short think your way through it.

Hometown refereeing is a thing, especially in the 6 Nations, and it shapes games. We benefit from it all the time in Dublin. It's not without a measure of control for me though and the really good teams that get a grip of it are able to attain a consistency of performance. We're definitely not there yet.

Even though i'm *****ing about the referee and complaining about elements of the performance, there were lots of positives for us that i'm taking for granted. I've been reading a lot about English forward dominance. I'll accept set piece dominance but in general play i thought the collisions were pretty much even. When it mattered too, 5 metres out, their maul was stopped dead... it was allowed to remain stationary for 20+ seconds too. That's a big plus for us.
Think we (England) were a bit lucky with some of those scrum penalties.

I'll say Eddie seems to design a gameplan for his best XV instead of a gameplan that can be operated by everyone on the team. I think you could say this about any coach but you really notice when England doesn't have their choice center pairings. So much that went right during the World Cup was the Ford Farrell axis and now that they aren't in form things have really gone to **** since their isn't a secondary tactic other than just being bette than the other team. As much as people on here dislike Farrell, Eddie seems to only know how to plan an offense with him running around the pitch recycling play off of offloads. If Farrell isn't 100% that gameplan doesn't work.

The only thing that seemed to work from England last night that seemed to work was the high ball and other than that there was no other coherent tactic. The lineup was essentially George and Itoje having loads of playing time together and Itoje just being superior to the Irish locks. Like what exactly does Malins get briefed on before the game. He clearly is a talented rugby player but there is no direction to his game when he's out there with England.

Ireland on the other hand had clear direction (other than Sexton who just went sideways slowly) and it's clear that Farrell puts a plan in place that's flexible enough to allow guys to play to their strengths but rigid enough that guys can come in and out of the squad.

If the RFU think we look anything like World Cup contenders at the moment with only one autumn series and 6 Nations to go then they're even more deluded than I thought. We've went backwards massively since the semi final win and don't look any further forward than this time last year in my opinion. All this despite the now familiar annual turnaround in coaching staff under Jones.
Jones will also secretly use England's diabolical injury record as an excuse. Currently he has 10 potential first team players out or not quite ready such as Underhill,Launch. He will no doubt point to Ireland and France and say, let's see how they perform with so many key players out.
As an England coach he still has enough good players at his disposal to pick a very good side. His time is up as we have gone backwards.
I would be interested to see how France cope without the likes of Aldritt, Du pont and fickou. Throughout their resurgence the only time they have played without near enough their full strength team for more than a one off game, was the tour of Australia...

I might try to find clearer footage but it does then become a question of how much responsibility a player had to not have their arm outstretched when they aren't going to catch the ball and at the head height of an oncoming player. Not entirely sure what happened but just surprised there didn't seem to be a TMO review at the same time as they were looking at the knock on, it didn't appear to me to be so clearly ok that it didn't merit it. However IF Furlong stuck his arm out with no realistic chance of catching the ball and instead simply hit Slade's head, I don't really see how that could be mitigation. Having your arms wide like that when making a tackle and causing a knock on is deemed an unnatural position for the arms to be in and is penalised as intentional so it could be argued that Furlong having his arm out like that was not a natural position for it to be in at that point to achieve anything other than simply being in the path on an oncoming player.

From what I seen, Furlong wasn't even looking at Slade, then, as the ball was passed behind him, he turned his head from facing the ball to facing the English try line, then immediately turned it back as he realised he'd put a 'clothesline from hell' on Slade.

(Quick pin, 1-2-3 and new Hardcore Champion 'cos falls count anywhere)

Could probably get it on the ITV hub if you wanted.

As for responsibilities etc, dunno what to make of it. If the attacker moves the arm to a 'clothesline' position, fault would probably be on him. But if the arm has been up for some time and the defender just runs into it....?

From what I seen, Furlong wasn't even looking at Slade, then, as the ball was passed behind him, he turned his head from facing the ball to facing the English try line, then immediately turned it back as he realised he'd put a 'clothesline from hell' on Slade.

(Quick pin, 1-2-3 and new Hardcore Champion 'cos falls count anywhere)

Could probably get it on the ITV hub if you wanted.

As for responsibilities etc, dunno what to make of it. If the attacker moves the arm to a 'clothesline' position, fault would probably be on him. But if the arm has been up for some time and the defender just runs into it....?
Citing officer will look but as TMO so nowt in what was a reviewed play ,with the Irish knock on ,its just another twitter frenzy for something that's nothing.
England fan by the way.

I think my only complaint other than Raynal having his usual quality of match was no YC for repeated infringements at the scrum not even a warning. Yeah he shouldn't of pinged Ireland as much but because he did he really should be following up. Also Henderson really should of saw Yellow and possibly Itoje in the second.

I know most of the foul play stuff the TMO deals with but it is frustrating as a fan watching we don't get to see replays unless the director wants us to.

Wow, can you imagine how smug you'd be feeling if England had actually scored a try. Or even threatened to score one.
Imagine how low your insecurity levels would be if you hadn't backed up a poor performance vs 14men with another poor performance vs 14men

We know we're ****, your words have no power here

If you think this is the English being smug just wait til itoje tackles DuPont in the first half next week.

Whatever so called "Positives" England can take from the Ireland game, we still can't evade the fact that it was in the end a record defeat to Ireland at home!!.
Add to this Englands lamentable try tally in this yrs 6N, and you get to see a much truer picture of where this team actually are at this juncture.
We have no attacking game beyond kick & chase.
The Attack coach should be prosecuted under the trades description act, this has been exacerbated by the constant chopping & changing of our 12 & 13 axis.
22 different combinations is insane.
With both the playing and financial resources at Jones disposal these results are simply unacceptable.

Whilst I agree but who?
Radwan out of form
OHC looked bang average today

Murely maybe?
Sadly Radwan is suffering for playing a side that gives him very little ball...and anything he does get is horrible...

Difficult to develop any "work ons" which Jones may have given him...

He probably needs to move on to develop his game more as to what Jones requires.

When they do the player ratings Ewels must be in line for the first ever 0.
He got 2/10 lol
xnihal0voan81.jpg

Presume they liked his rendition of the anthem?

He got 2/10 lol
xnihal0voan81.jpg

Presume they liked his rendition of the anthem?
What do you have to do for one? Commit a red card penalty try offence in the opening minuite?

I know these articles are for clicks but I have no idea how they justify that.

Latest posts