• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (12/03/22)

I don't think Malins should have been dropped but I singled him out a few times as impressive. A winger who makes very few mistakes is fairly valuable, with time Malins could definitely be an international in the mould of Villiere or Conway.

Keep him out of the picture for three years and we'll take him off your hands.

36 pages criticising Jones for not dropping Malins.
Within 1 page of Jones dropping Malins, we see posts criticising Jones for dropping Malins.

hmmm, I wonder why one or two of us feel that TRF en masse has lost objectivity when it comes to Jones...
I don't like Jones but its got far more to how he progressing our attack than his selections, we got the different players at 9 and 10 and its still a problem. Sure center is an issue and the wings but they're what is available we're just not using them in any effective way.

I still think dropping Malins was the right choice - or at least, the most realistic one
Don't think him and Nowell make a good pairing and Nowell is in better form

Malins has had an average at best, poor at worst, Six Nations - we're missing pace in the backline and actually have potential options to choose from
Of course EJ is more likely to default back to either Daly, or Marchant, so that point is moot, but still

I don't like Jones but its got far more to how he progressing our attack than his selections, we got the different players at 9 and 10 and its still a problem. Sure center is an issue and the wings but they're what is available we're just not using them in any effective way.
Self-important opinion alert...

I agree.
We're a mess at IC because... we don't have any good options who are actual, real-life ICs and play the bulk of their rugby there.
We're transitioning at 8-9-10... (and 13 & 15), and they need time, and some hand-holding would be nice (however much we criticise Eddie for saying so).

We've got a bunch of non-wingers, and non-1st players on the wings - and were asking them play as if they were the 1st choice players, whilst really not having the same game as May / Watson / Coka.
That last part is really not getting the best out of them... But... It means we don't have to change the game plan to include them, sacrificing this match for the match in 12-games time, when we want this 8-9-10 to play with May / Watson / Coka on the wings*.
We're not doing so very well, but that's a different matter.

TBH, were doing the same with the centres, we all know Eddie would love to have Farrell and Tuilagi at 12-13, Slade is the closest we've got to Farrell**, Marchant is the closest we've got to Tuilagi.

It's not what you or I would do, but IMO, there's rationality behind it.

Please don't ask me to explain Daly - away from wing, I have nothing - much like his defence.

* I very much agree that we've got better play-a-likes to put there, but they're further from the squad, and we'd probably complain that we're wasting too much game-time on 5th choice players with obvious flaws if we actually put Radwan and OHC put wide.
** I'd still argue that Slade is a better IC than Farrell as well, if not so competitive. Both took their sweet time to get used to the position, neither are supported there by their club.

Last edited:
36 pages criticising Jones for not dropping Malins.
Within 1 page of Jones dropping Malins, we see posts criticising Jones for dropping Malins.

hmmm, I wonder why one or two of us feel that TRF en masse has lost objectivity when it comes to Jones...
I don't think it's a matter of objectivity, the constant changing of centre pairings, the wierd adherence to playing people out of position and the huge numbers re player turnover are all well documented fact.
Mallins is a very gifted player with great hands and distribution skills allied to great vision, skills which are currently woefully under employed with him being stuck out on the wing.
Add to this a non existing attacking platform other than kick chase!!
Dropping mallins in response to Englands inability to craft try scoring opportunities is incredibly disingenuous.
But typical of " No blame eddie"

Three weeks for Ewels - two if he goes to tackling school (which he inevitably will):

I like that they've said, when halving it from 6, that he has a "relatively unblemished record" - the bar is very low for the 50% off!

Well he will definitely be back before Ryan!
This is what happens when Ireland play so many privately educated posh lads from Leinster: too much brain to get damaged

Play more Munster players, I say - can't get concussed if your skull is just solid bone, no brain

Can't fail a cognition test if your base line is low enough as it is..................

This is what happens when Ireland play so many privately educated posh lads from Leinster: too much brain to get damaged

Play more Munster players, I say - can't get concussed if your skull is just solid bone, no brain
Most of your national team wore a suit to school for 6 years, which seems like it was a colossal waste of money based on the average IQ.

Nowell to be fair I could see smoking ciggies and drinking cider on a Tuesday afternoon in a depressing seaside town during his teens though. Proper rugby education!

Most of your national team wore a suit to school for 6 years, which seems like it was a colossal waste of money based on the average IQ.
Can't hear you over Maro "Landed Gentry" Itoje's schoolboy drip
Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 17.00.41.png

Can't hear you over Maro "Landed Gentry" Itoje's schoolboy drip
View attachment 13634
Man there's levels to the posh game and Ireland has a ways to go. Encouraging signs that a non private school in Leinster hasn't won the senior cup since 1985, but there's work to be done before our rugby stars are wearing top hats to school.

Nowell to be fair I could see smoking ciggies and drinking cider on a Tuesday afternoon in a depressing seaside town during his teens though. Proper rugby education!
No way Genge wore a suit unless it was a shellsuit.

Finally watched the game again. England got so so lucky with the Doris non try. No way Ringer didn't drop that back on to his own foot. Try 99/100 times.

England got a homer of a ref and we were inaccurate, all the bullshit of England being moral winners is nothing more than bullshit. We win this game with 15 either side and James Ryan.

We were lazy and I'd rather we dIcked you but we played rugby when we needed.

Also watching Smith closely.

Dan, Jonny and Johnny were far more accomplished at 23, and the second best of them was a Ster late bloomer.

Smith could be a great player with a team around him but he's no decisive factor at this level.

Latest posts