• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (12/03/22)

Great result but strange watching it. England pack was on fire. Best front row performance they've had in years.
Henshaw was difference when he came on.
Red card ruined it a bit and it was like a BaaBaas game at times. Great win for us and double delight as England playing like that with 15 could test French.

Could of been far different with 15 v 15, but then again if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle! Right result in the end. Our lads kept trying but ultimately Ewells cost us the test. Hopefully the last time we will see him in a England shirt again. He got a red for Bath for doing the same thing, and clearly cannot learn and thus cannot be trusted.
Yeah, his was the first I'd seen for that - at the time I said something along the lines of "if that's just the first of a new interpretation, then fine, I'll adapt, but as it is, how can you card someone for a perfectly legal tackle" - I'm happy to say that it was just the first of a new interpretation, and I've adapted.
I wish the players would.

But it's far from just Ewels who still tackles upright (and TBF these guys have had 15-20 years tackling upright, and 1.5 having to lower it. They're also professionals, who have no excuses.

Given all that, I'm convinced that it's not unintelligence, but a deliberate play.

Far more likely is that the advantages of tackling upright (stopping the offload, ability to push the ball carrier backwards, eyes up and less chance of being stepped) are considered to outweigh the advantages of bending at the waist (not being sent off).

The reward is worth the risk, given the sanction and the frequency of getting away with it (either through lack of actual head contact, or through not being noticed).

So the risk : reward balance needs to be changed. Which can only be done by increasing sanctions.
The suggestion that "the current sanction isn't changing behaviour, so we need to... reduce the sanction for the sake of the spectacle" doesn't seem quite right, somehow (the usual orange card type suggestions).

My money is on 4th
I don't think the french game will be a spanking.
I can see Ireland beating Scotland comfortably.
Its going to be like watching a buss full of primary school kids crash into a OAP care home whilst it has a visit from the local toddler group, all on fire.

Other teams must be licking their lips when they look at the attacking plan England has.

If In doubt kick

With 20 minutes to go I genuinely thought we could win that but the Irish bench really added some impetus to their play. I'm getting a very bad feeling about next week. An England team that will be exhausted after today up against a young, dynamic and quick France team with a big crowd behind them. I can see the French blowing us away in 20 minutes.
We were always going to tire, the defence was massive in the 60mins up to then. My main Q is where was that in the last year? Granted we still can't score, but locking the oppo teams out of the board is rugby 101

From a Irish POV how worrying is it that Furlong isn't as invincible as made out too be?

Dunno how straight the scrummaging was - and some of the splintering might be on Sheehan.

But yeah, even if there are reasons, it definite may adjust perceptions - which can be important for referees - they are only human.

Dunno how straight the scrummaging was - and some of the splintering might be on Sheehan.

But yeah, even if there are reasons, it definite may adjust perceptions - which can be important for referees - they are only human.
Let's call a spade a spade it wasn't very straight at all was it. Genge set up on the angle and just ran around the corner the majority of the time. Raynal is a perfect fool for that stuff, especially for the home team.

There was a good overhead for one of the penalties and it showed George doing a number on Sheehan. Sheehan was brilliant in open play but i'd say that was baptism of fire for him in the scrum.

I mean Top Tightheads are expected to be able to deal with things like that though.

Don't see that happen to Cole for example.

Yet he wasn't the one being man handled by genge

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Genge didn't go at any more of an angle than any other of the LHs in the 6 nations. Anyone saying otherwise just can't admit he finally had a good game after all his average ones (it's about time really).

Secondly I'm really annoyed that we lost due to having 14 men. It covers up the terrible coaching by Jones as our tactics and attack are shpcking.

Thirdly, can't wait for a video from Ewels saying
'Owens been great at helping us all with our tackle technique this week in training'

Right off for even more beer after another rubbish rugby game.

Tbh I'd be very annoyed if I was Irish. That's 2 weeks in a row with a man up where ireland have been a little **** and that's the kind of issue that you start seeing before you end up becoming England.

Feels like a peak too soon yet again to me tbh

As an england supporter I was amazed how well they held out against a superb Irish side with 14 men I personally enjoyed the performance against a superior side

Tbh I'd be very annoyed if I was Irish. That's 2 weeks in a row with a man up where ireland have been a little **** and that's the kind of issue that you start seeing before you end up becoming England.

Feels like a peak too soon yet again to me tbh
Don't know how that's adds up?! A little **** peak?

-

Have to watch again but here are my thoughts:

Furlong had a couple conversations with the ref, Genge had him to start and the just drove at a 45°angle and down once he realised he had Raynal.

Doris scored a try, Ringer had the ball slapped our and backwards, crazy knock on call.

We struggled big time without Ryan, Henderson and POM on the same pitch never really worked but they lost to 7 players today.

Henshaw is a better player than Aki when push comes to shove.

Lowe might not be our 11 but not for the reason touted here.

A wins a win is a win and whoever the **** that threw his beer on me at ~70mins, I hope you enjoyed the ~71st minute winner!

Don't know how that's adds up?! A little **** peak?

-

Have to watch again but here are my thoughts:

Furlong had a couple conversations with the ref, Genge had him to start and the just drove at a 45°angle and down once he realised he had Raynal.

Doris scored a try, Ringer had the ball slapped our and backwards, crazy knock on call.

We struggled big time without Ryan, Henderson and POM on the same pitch never really worked but they lost to 7 players today.

Henshaw is a better player than Aki when push comes to shove.

Lowe might not be our 11 but not for the reason touted here.

A wins a win is a win and whoever the **** that threw his beer on me at ~70mins, I hope you enjoyed the ~71st minute winner!
Go to bed

Latest posts