• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

I haven't seen the comment, or the reaction.
Did he say "greatest team ever" - which is... erm... optimistic / hyperbole; or "greatest England team ever" - which is perfectly possible, and arguably already the case
So he said England can become the greatest rugby team the world has ever seen, which like @The Alpha Bro I have no issue with... but when statements like that are made fans of opposing teams are going to have things to say.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...x-Nations-squad-greatest-team-rugby-seen.html

All you guys feeling shocked at any public outcry from the other home nations fans (I haven't seen any but can believe it's there) would be the first to mock Farrell, Pivac or Galthie if they made the same statement about their respective teams. Perspective is key.

I like how England get mocked yet everyone else is still the victim, lol
I ain't mocked anyone, all I'm saying is it baffles me how people get shocked by the exact same things they would say if England wasn't the 'subject'(ive).

I think I can say with near certainty that if any of the other 6N coaches said that they aimed to become the best team in the world I wouldn't have anything to say about it. That should be the aim of any Tier 1 nation. I can't understand at all why other fans have taken issue with it, bar the arrogant English narrative.

I think I can say with near certainty that if any of the other 6N coaches said that they aimed to become the best team in the world I wouldn't have anything to say about it. That should be the aim of any Tier 1 nation.
Yup, 'best team in the world' and 'greatest rugby team ever seen' are different though... not to say that the latter shouldn't be the aim of all tier 1 nations neither though... but I can say with some assurance that if Farrell, Pivac or Galthie said Ireland, Wales or France could be the greatest rugby team ever seen (whether that's a fair thing to aim for or not) a lot of English fans would scoff.

It's fine, I'm just pointing out that something may seem perfectly fine from your perspective... but if the perspective is moved, the exact same things can look very different.

I think I can say with near certainty that if any of the other 6N coaches said that they aimed to become the best team in the world I wouldn't have anything to say about it. That should be the aim of any Tier 1 nation. I can't understand at all why other fans have taken issue with it, bar the arrogant English narrative.
Tier 1 is a bit of a stretch if Italy, Scotland and even France said it I'd laugh. All the World Cup SF's + Ireland should certainly be aiming for it.

Like or hate it, Jones loves talking crap/ saying things to wind people up, that's not a criticism that's just his nature. I don't think people should think too much into some of the things he says.

So he said England can become the greatest rugby team the world has ever seen, which like @The Alpha Bro I have no issue with... but when statements like that are made fans of opposing teams are going to have things to say.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...x-Nations-squad-greatest-team-rugby-seen.html

All you guys feeling shocked at any public outcry from the other home nations fans (I haven't seen any but can believe it's there) would be the first to mock Farrell, Pivac or Galthie if they made the same statement about their respective teams. Perspective is key.
I'm not shocked by any outcry, I also I couldn't give a ****. Pretty sure Eddie doesn't come on here, reads this and cries himself to sleep thinking about all those Welsh, Irish and Scots who are triggered by his ambition.

Is it a moonshot goal? Scotland were absolutely nowhere in 2013 which is why it was ridiculed.

England just made a World Cup final and will likely have most the same squad of players for the next 4 years. Having a goal of bein the best team in that period and being one of the greatest ever seams like a reasonable goal even if they do fall short of it. Aiming for anything less would likely not be enough of a stretch. Even winning just the goal of win the next world cup seams a little weak which essential boils down to win one extra game in 4 years time. Surely teams should be stretching beyond what could be considered a basic step up?
As Bushy said it's more "the greatest team to ever play the game" thing. In my opinion that equates to 5 years of sustained dominance like NZ from 2011 to 2016 and I would think, from what they've shown, England are a way off that. Again, I have no issue with it, and don't think it couldn't be done, but it's out there.

I'm not shocked by any outcry, I also I couldn't give a ****. Pretty sure Eddie doesn't come on here, reads this and cries himself to sleep thinking about all those Welsh, Irish and Scots who are triggered by his ambition.
To be honest I haven't seen any outcry on here... don't misread my comments, I haven't said I'm annoyed or miffed by Eddies comments (if you've read enough of my comments in the past you'll know I'm a big fan of Eddie, he cracks me up). My post are explicitly to the people shocked by any outcry... very different.

I haven't seen any outcry but there's certain sections of the internet that will get annoyed about anything.

Still I believe coaches like Jones say these things in public to foster the us vs the world mentality.

So, just out of interest what are the things people have been saying... I could do with a laugh.

I'll post some when I get to my PC.

I do find it funny looking at people's reaction to Eddie saying he will make this England team the greatest ever.
Especially from the other home nations fans/pundits.

I will just say this is more talking about people taking the bait rather than the actual comment.

Like or hate it, Jones loves talking crap/ saying things to wind people up, that's not a criticism that's just his nature. I don't think people should think too much into some of the things he says.

For "too much" read anything.

In 2 years this team might be many things, but it won't be, or on the pathway to being, the GOAT.

Probably thought up something daft to deflect Sarries related questions.

I haven't seen the comment, or the reaction.
Did he say "greatest team ever" - which is... erm... optimistic / hyperbole; or "greatest England team ever" - which is perfectly possible, and arguably already the case

Don't think the Eng one is even arguable TBH. Clearly behind the 03 and the early 90s vintages.

Don't think the Eng one is even arguable TBH. Clearly behind the 03 and the early 90s vintages.
Behind '03 certainly but are they behind '99? I would argue they are a good deal ahead of that team.

Behind '03 certainly but are they behind '99? I would argue they are a good deal ahead of that team.
I was talking early 90s, Carling era. RWC final 91, GS 91, 92 & 95, another ***le in 96. Current lot can't match that yet.

Latest posts