• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

Gosh. Noon and Tindall, or Hape and Tindall were dark dark times

Hape and Tindall is T'eo and Manu it's all happening again!!!

We haven't had a proper first choice 12 in years. I really can't understand it.

Hape and Tindall is T'eo and Manu it's all happening again!!!

We haven't had a proper first choice 12 in years. I really can't understand it.
Teo is 30. So coming the the end. Devoto is 25 and playing good rugby, johnny williams is 22 and played some good rugby. And isnt there alot of hype about sale's cameron redpath. So we have potential coming through but i cant really think of any others. Alex lozovski i suppose but he more players 13 now.

We have stuck to ford farrell with teo on the bench. Teo is a much better bench option than starter IMO. And if devoto doesnt pan out or step up then teo is our only other option to Farrel for the WC it seems.

I don't understand the desire to play 2 big, 1 dimensional boshers in the midfield. Surely the decline of Wales since 2013 due to Warrenball being found out should be a lesson we should have learned? Roberts with Williams/JD outside was the big boshing centre pairing and, once found out, Wales became very 1 dimensional. They relied solely on big carriers breaking the gain line and fast recycling. Even with 2 big centres, we are not going to be crashing over the gain line much nor do we ever get to the breakdown and secure it fast enough for that to be a viable strategy. I'd rather always have at least 1 centre with a good kicking/passing game. If that centre can also be big with a strong carrying game then that's a bonus but 2 big carriers with minimal passing game is actually too easy to defend. What does it matter if you draw 2 defenders if you never exploit that by getting the ball away before the defence reorganises?
It worked for a while for Wales because they had a back row who were quick to the breakdown!!!!! Unless we have both Curry's looks like an even worse plan. Could you imagine any of the others making up that ground.

I don't understand the desire to play 2 big, 1 dimensional boshers in the midfield. Surely the decline of Wales since 2013 due to Warrenball being found out should be a lesson we should have learned? Roberts with Williams/JD outside was the big boshing centre pairing and, once found out, Wales became very 1 dimensional. They relied solely on big carriers breaking the gain line and fast recycling. Even with 2 big centres, we are not going to be crashing over the gain line much nor do we ever get to the breakdown and secure it fast enough for that to be a viable strategy. I'd rather always have at least 1 centre with a good kicking/passing game. If that centre can also be big with a strong carrying game then that's a bonus but 2 big carriers with minimal passing game is actually too easy to defend. What does it matter if you draw 2 defenders if you never exploit that by getting the ball away before the defence reorganises?
It worked for a while for Wales because they had a back row who were quick to the breakdown!!!!! Unless we have both Curry's looks like an even worse plan. Could you imagine any of the others making up that ground.

Teo is 30. So coming the the end. Devoto is 25 and playing good rugby, johnny williams is 22 and played some good rugby. And isnt there alot of hype about sale's cameron redpath. So we have potential coming through but i cant really think of any others. Alex lozovski i suppose but he more players 13 now.

We have stuck to ford farrell with teo on the bench. Teo is a much better bench option than starter IMO. And if devoto doesnt pan out or step up then teo is our only other option to Farrel for the WC it seems.
Redpath has barely played any senior rugby, but I imagine he'll play in the cup next weekend.

Sam James should've been getting a look in, considering Devoto and Slade have. Great form and covers 10, 12, 13 and 15.

His brother Luke is some talent as well.

Redpath has barely played any senior rugby, but I imagine he'll play in the cup next weekend.

Sam James should've been getting a look in, considering Devoto and Slade have. Great form and covers 10, 12, 13 and 15.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative, it's a genuine question; how much 12 has James actually played? I've never seen him start there for Sale.

Luke is a great ypung player he needs looking at post WC, same as above, SJames is a 13 who can also cover everywhere else pretty decent.

Redpath i put in there as a one to watch more than a real option now, was loads pf hype then a long injury.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative, it's a genuine question; how much 12 has James actually played? I've never seen him start there for Sale.
It's his favoured position, he just plays at 13 more because all our other centres prefer 12

He used to play 12 alongside Addison at 13, and atm him and JOC just play centre rather than a position, they chop and change constantly

TBF Manu and Te'o do have so much more carrying ability than those two together.
Teo is a good carrier but If Teo is to be played, id have him in the 22 shirt with daly 23, hes a powerful runner but a much better impact player than a starter IMO. Can sure up a leaky defence if needs be and brings something in attack against tired legs. Also teo daly gives us a few combinations from the bench.

Im not teos biggest fan but he is strong in defence and a strong runner and he can play 12 and 13. Daly in 23 can come on at 11 13 14 15. Or start daly and put nowell to 23 works the same.

But devoto needs game time this 6N incase pre WC either teo or faz get injured.

Teo is a good carrier but If Teo is to be played, id have him in the 22 shirt with daly 23, hes a powerful runner but a much better impact player than a starter IMO. Can sure up a leaky defence if needs be and brings something in attack against tired legs. Also teo daly gives us a few combinations from the bench.

Im not teos biggest fan but he is strong in defence and a strong runner and he can play 12 and 13. Daly in 23 can come on at 11 13 14 15. Or start daly and put nowell to 23 works the same.

But devoto needs game time this 6N incase pre WC either teo or faz get injured.
I cant remember remember england ever having great centres even will and tins weren't world class

Tindall maybe not, but Greenwood was definitely World Class in his pomp.

Carling and Guscott were pretty good in their day too.

In my opinion, World Class suggests a 'once in a generation' type player and by definition, there are not many of those.

Even if we haven't had a conveyor belt of undisputably World Class players in the centre, neither have most countries. For example, outside of BOD, who do you pick for Ireland?

We've also had plenty of players who, at their best, we're very, very good - Tuilagi at his peak springs to mind for example.

I'd also be inclined to separate the pro era out.

In my opinion, World Class suggests a 'once in a generation' type player and by definition, there are not many of those.

Even if we haven't had a conveyor belt of undisputably World Class players in the centre, neither have most countries. For example, outside of BOD, who do you pick for Ireland?

We've also had plenty of players who, at their best, we're very, very good - Tuilagi at his peak springs to mind for example.

I'd also be inclined to separate the pro era out.
Well for Ireland Gibson

"World Class " is one of those terms that comes up for debate again most years (though it's been a while since I've noticed one on here).
For some people "World Class" means a truly special player who will go down in the history books, and a contender for GOAT in their sport.
For others it would mean a player who'd be in the conversation / wider squad for an Earth team to play in the Rugby Galactic Cup.
For others it means someone who's comfortable at international level
And for others (mostly pundits and coaches) it means someone who might deserve to be capped at some point; given a run of form and a minor injury crisis.

Personally (and all of these get caled "World Class" by some people:
GOAT class = Would be comfortable representing the history of the sport (one of the top 2-3 in their position in history).
World Class - Would be comfortable representing the word on the Galactic stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position at some point).
International Class = Would be comfortable representing their nation on the world stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their country).
Club Class = Would be comfortable representing their club on the national stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their club).

For me, on their day, Carling, Guscott, Catt, Greenwood, Tuilagi and Joseph have all been in the frame for being one of the best 2-3 players in the world in their position; and therefore World Class.

Last edited:
I honestly think England had some World Class players in that 2003 team. Johnson was a world class lock and you could argue that Hill, Back and Dallaglio were too. Also, I don't think we will see another player like Robinson again playing for England. I was also a massive fan of Greenwood around that time, so I would count him to.

Latest posts