• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

9 out of 12 Prem games. 5 out of 6 Europe games. Was in the England squad when he picked up a knock, but by all accounts if we needed him he could've played. That would also account for Prem games he's missed (during call-up)

Slade - 5 out of 6 in Europe. 7 out of 12 in Prem

Teo - 3 in Europe. 2 in the prem.

o_Oo_O o_O

He's called up Joseph in the hope he can remind Manu how to pass. Hands were awful against Ulster.

So lots of chat about Dovoto. Can't see why. Has never performed for England and with so many possible starting centres, manu, teo, JJ, faz, I don't see how a second string guy gets a look in.

Also not sure why the hate for teo. He may not be the most dynamic but the guys pretty solid in D and makes hard yards. Ireland are going to be a really physical side and arguably have the best D in world rugby. Exceptionally hard to break them down. We will need to be very clinical, make hard yards, get field position and kick points. I'd imagine if we do win it will be down to the boot of Faz. So for that we need hard tackling, line breaking lumps, and some decent action at the breakdown to ensure the lads in green don't get their mits on the ball, or hold us up.

For me Faz has to play 10. Ford can't play behind a pack under pressure and that's what we will have all game long.

Manu has to start, he's just so dangerous. So that leaves the 12 spot open, and I wonder if Teo may well fill that spot to ensure that the Irish have to narrow their defence to handle the two big lads in the middle, hopefully creating some space on the wing for May. Or just to punch it up, draw the pen, kick the points, and keep the score board ticking over.

So lots of chat about Dovoto. Can't see why. Has never performed for England and with so many possible starting centres, manu, teo, JJ, faz, I don't see how a second string guy gets a look in.

Also not sure why the hate for teo. He may not be the most dynamic but the guys pretty solid in D and makes hard yards. Ireland are going to be a really physical side and arguably have the best D in world rugby. Exceptionally hard to break them down. We will need to be very clinical, make hard yards, get field position and kick points. I'd imagine if we do win it will be down to the boot of Faz. So for that we need hard tackling, line breaking lumps, and some decent action at the breakdown to ensure the lads in green don't get their mits on the ball, or hold us up.

For me Faz has to play 10. Ford can't play behind a pack under pressure and that's what we will have all game long.

Manu has to start, he's just so dangerous. So that leaves the 12 spot open, and I wonder if Teo may well fill that spot to ensure that the Irish have to narrow their defence to handle the two big lads in the middle, hopefully creating some space on the wing for May. Or just to punch it up, draw the pen, kick the points, and keep the score board ticking over.
I mean... he has only played 5 minutes, and was playing 10.

I mean... he has only played 5 minutes, and was playing 10.
Yeah but what have the Romans done for us recently?

There's hype behind Devoto because he's in great form at Chiefs and we have no settled centre partnership.
Farrell looks settled at 10 in Jones' books so that leaves only Teo at 12. Might as well have a look at Devoto (especially with Manu back and fit - the prospect of a Manu/Teo midfield isn't appealing. It's so one dimensional and incredibly easy to shut down consider neither have a distributing game or particularly noteworthy offloading game).

I can't see jones bringing in Dovoto for the Ireland game. No matter how well he's played for the Chiefs. This games as big as it gets and with almost no test experience I can't see jones fancying him. No idea on what the pack will look like. Assume Etoji, Billy are certs, beyond that there seem to be numerous possible combos.

Backs wise Young's, Faz, May must be nailed on, maybe Jones will go for Teo 12 to start with JJ 13, Manu to come on later when legs get tired. Full back is a big ? Brown back for a solid high ball performance, Risk Daly again for the counter attack, maybe Nowell steps in after some good shows for his club.

In some ways it's encouraging there are so many options in some positions, but in others it feels like the wrong combo could stunt the team completely. Certainly doesnt have the All Blacks feel that every guy who could come on enhances the others.

Aye, don't get me wrong - I don't think Devoto will see game time this 6N (possibly vs Italy, where I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ford, Devoto, Slade midfield) but we're just chatting options.

Maybe he wont be i hope he does from the bench, maybe not v Ireland but deffinatly this tournement, we cant have faz and teo as our only option at 12, if one gets injured then we are left with one centre combo.

Devoto has never stepped up to this level yet when he was improving and on form he got long term injured so never had a chance to be tested.

Devoto on paper has all the requirements to be a top 12. Carrying ability, size, handling. Can pass, can kick. I do hope he gets a chance to prove it this 6N. Williams is the only other English qualified 12 I'd think about bringing him.

I understand why Te'o is in the squad. It's a fighting, tough game plan to get over the gainline Vs Ireland.

I'd still pick Ford-Farrell

T'eo doesn't get over the gain line though, what did he make meters wise in the last year Nolan's games he played? 4 m or something?

He's great defensively but he's not a bosh player or an attqxking threat really. Still might be our only option as we haven't tested anyone else.

T'eo doesn't get over the gain line though, what did he make meters wise in the last year Nolan's games he played? 4 m or something?

He's great defensively but he's not a bosh player or an attqxking threat really. Still might be our only option as we haven't tested anyone else.
I guess the theory is more that he can attract multiple defenders and offload to others in more space rather than necessarily making lots of ground himself.

If he plays that means Faz to 10 and probably Manu at13. Subtlety's overrated.

Well thats England screwed then, Robshaw is starting for Quins on Saturday, prob called up on sunday and playing v Ireland. Would not be surprised

Well thats England screwed then, Robshaw is starting for Quins on Saturday, prob called up on sunday and playing v Ireland. Would not be surprised
I think hask is aswell so a few injuries could see our 6.5 reunited. i live in fear

I think hask is aswell so a few injuries could see our 6.5 reunited. i live in fear
Oh god no! How did i miss that... so our back row.
6. Robshaw
7. Hask
8. Hughes

All joking aside while Robshaw is a very good player he is past it, id have wilson at 6 over him anyday. EJ must see that he is past it and is so much less effective soon as the game speeds up as proved in SA.

Oh god no! How did i miss that... so our back row.
6. Robshaw
7. Hask
8. Hughes

All joking aside while Robshaw is a very good player he is past it, id have wilson at 6 over him anyday. EJ must see that he is past it and is so much less effective soon as the game speeds up as proved in SA.
If memory serves me right robshaw only played in the game we won wtf

I don't understand the desire to play 2 big, 1 dimensional boshers in the midfield. Surely the decline of Wales since 2013 due to Warrenball being found out should be a lesson we should have learned? Roberts with Williams/JD outside was the big boshing centre pairing and, once found out, Wales became very 1 dimensional. They relied solely on big carriers breaking the gain line and fast recycling. Even with 2 big centres, we are not going to be crashing over the gain line much nor do we ever get to the breakdown and secure it fast enough for that to be a viable strategy. I'd rather always have at least 1 centre with a good kicking/passing game. If that centre can also be big with a strong carrying game then that's a bonus but 2 big carriers with minimal passing game is actually too easy to defend. What does it matter if you draw 2 defenders if you never exploit that by getting the ball away before the defence reorganises?

I don't understand the desire to play 2 big, 1 dimensional boshers in the midfield. Surely the decline of Wales since 2013 due to Warrenball being found out should be a lesson we should have learned? Roberts with Williams/JD outside was the big boshing centre pairing and, once found out, Wales became very 1 dimensional. They relied solely on big carriers breaking the gain line and fast recycling. Even with 2 big centres, we are not going to be crashing over the gain line much nor do we ever get to the breakdown and secure it fast enough for that to be a viable strategy. I'd rather always have at least 1 centre with a good kicking/passing game. If that centre can also be big with a strong carrying game then that's a bonus but 2 big carriers with minimal passing game is actually too easy to defend. What does it matter if you draw 2 defenders if you never exploit that by getting the ball away before the defence reorganises?
Why would we need to learn from Warrenball? surely the Noon & Tindal midfield taught us all we needed to learn about playing 2 boshers. And let's face it, Noon was a lot more silky than Te'o has ever shown.

Latest posts