[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 3: Australia v South Africa (08/09/2018)

Discussion in 'The Rugby Championship 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

I'll add to this, Round 12 of the AFL this season Collingwood v Melbourne.... two upper-mid table teams mid season...83,518, week before essendon v richmond 81,046...so its not even really much of a finals bump in numbers, they get out there week in week out, i think rugby could learn something from what AFL have done

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

I read at some point that as a % of capacity over the course of a full season (so average capacity/total capacity) AFL is the second most attended sporting league in the world behind the Bundesliga. Find the link later.

So it's not like Rugby is competing with other sports of a similar nature. AFL is astronomically popular.

I wonder if NZ will ever take it up.

4. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

i heard something similar but it was NFL that was better supported o_O either way you have three leagues in three different sports that are ridiculously well supported and what i notice is they are all club focused which is what id like rugby to do, get people invested in their unions/clubs/franchises and the international will follow....at the moment we focus on internationals and the rest is left to die

fyi, NZ does have an AFL team and league at least in auckland, just dont have the population base to support another major sport, even football struggles :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

x 100. There have been a series of articles in mainstream papers crying out for Rugby to be returned to its roots. Leave Folau in AFL and send that money to clubs.

Won't happen though. Too many vested interests and too much politics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Being visible would be a great step forward. You don't see rugby union anywhere. AFL have AusKick from the age of 4 and up, and my daughter who is in public school got a form sent home about it and as well soccer. AFL is not even that popular in Brisbane as you probably know. Maybe it's an age thing but get them involved with touch at a rugby union club at least. From there get them into rugby. At least try.

I've gone to an AFL game last year and the pre-game stuff was great, there's a real atmosphere, stuff for kids to do, and it was for the Lions vs Suns which were fighting for the wooden spoon. I've been to Suncorp for the Reds a few times and there's nothing besides merch stands outside. I think for the Internationals they have a beer tent on the train station side.

I'm actually following both AFL and Rugby Union equally now. If there's a Crows vs Swans AFL match on and a Rebels vs Brumbies SR match on, I'd probably watch the AFL match. I find Rugby league boring. Rugby Union has gone down on my list recently because of its dysfunction in AU and because of WR's inaction on the racial quotas imposed on the Boks.

7. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

I'm actually pretty close to that myself. here in melbourne there seems to be a clear hierarchy of how to watch go to the game > watch in a pub with mates > watch at home, its great. i eve keep an eye on my local VFL side

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!