• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6 Nations] Round 5 : England v Ireland (17/03/2018)

Let's be honest with ourselves here. In terms of the actual competition every team has 2 home and away fixtures. I don't buy the argument that team X had an advantage over other teams because they had "3" home fixtures.
I think Italy away followed by another away fixture is tough due to the travelling, especially as its often a Sunday fixture in Rome. That's about it though. It's also better to have Italy in R2, 4 or 5.

I think Italy away followed by another away fixture is tough due to the travelling, especially as its often a Sunday fixture in Rome. That's about it though. It's also better to have Italy in R2, 4 or 5.

Because they rev themselves up for first game more?

Because they rev themselves up for first game more?
I think they're a nice break/easy finish. If you have them first its followed by 4 tough games in 6 weeks off the back of a game that you don't want to rest players for fear of rust in round 2. Rounds 2 and 4 are optimal for a grand slam challenge.

Haha video from a while back has emerged of Eddie Jones saying this at a conference last year
"We've played 23 tests and have only lost one test to the scummy Irish. I'm still dirty about that game. But we will get that back!

"We will get that back, don't worry, we have them next year at home, we will get 'em back!"
You absolute legend Eddie. You've just given the scum some more ammunition.

Sometimes, I'm sure it does, particularly if it's an individual who's being singled out (lots of players are chippy as ****)... but for the most part I bet they don't really notice.

Do people honestly think professional sports teams get fired up by press chat?

Whenever people say things like "stick that on the dressing room wall" or "that's or pre-game speech sorted!" I cringe my dick off

Yeh lol.

If a player needs that to get them fired up then they shouldn't be pro sportsmen really. I could understand it making things more personal potentially, but they should be fired up already really.

Do people honestly think professional sports teams get fired up by press chat?

Whenever people say things like "stick that on the dressing room wall" or "that's or pre-game speech sorted!" I cringe my dick off
Not really press chat is it though. The opposition coach calling you scum in no uncertain terms.

Possible Ireland team v England:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Dan Leavy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Iain Henderson
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

From Thornley and Kinsella, usually they get full marks or 22/23.

Truth hurts i guess. ............. ;)
Hey we'v been saying it to ye for 800years and it hasn't stuck yet

Lol on game though I like that even though the winner of tournament is decided the game is still hyping up both teams. A wounded England team could be a horrible task for Ireland but equally Ireland will be driven by their own motives not to mention it's very rare you can win a Slam in the yard of the old enemy

Possible Ireland team v England:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Dan Leavy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Iain Henderson
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

From Thornley and Kinsella, usually they get full marks or 22/23.
Yeah seems to be confirmed with John Ryan Jack Conan Ian Keatley and Fergus McFadden the extras

Larmour is a massive call, too massive perhaps. Considering his 100% understandable nerves showed against Italy at home I think playing in a Grand Slam decider at Twickers is too much for someone so ridiculously inexperienced (albeit talented). I mean he was 12 when Tommy Bowe scored a try in our last victory at Twickenham, a mere 8 years ago. But realistically who else do you have? McFadden had his shot. Might as well think of the future. It basically worked with Brunel and Jalibert.

A part of me would love to see Carbery play at 15 for Ireland sometimes but given how poor our depth at OH is since the Jackson trial it's probably not worth it in the long run. We are ok at FB when Conway is available.

Last edited:
Hey we'v been saying it to ye for 800years and it hasn't stuck yet

Lol on game though I like that even though the winner of tournament is decided the game is still hyping up both teams. A wounded England team could be a horrible task for Ireland but equally Ireland will be driven by their own motives not to mention it's very rare you can win a Slam in the yard of the old enemy

I think because the game is at Twickenham it adds a lot more spice to the fixture than if it was in Dublin.

Latest posts