• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] The FINAL: Lions vs. Crusaders (05/08/2017)

Sterkte Saders, Sterkte...

Die moeilik om teen Jaco Peyper te speel met SuperSport wat hom help... SuperSport wys al julle foute uit tot iemand dit sien op die 'groot-skerm'...

SuperSport wys nooit die SA spanne se 'foute' uit nie... hulle maak mos nie foute nie :) die engeltjies wat hulle is....

Sterkte...

Another change?? That has been the name of the stadium for the past 4 years due to their major sponsor Emirates Airlines. Most of SA's stadiums give their sponsors the right to change the name of the stadium. Luckily the Bulls' sponsor haven't done that yet.

Of course it would be you to bring this up...

Anyway, it shows that Sanzaar have the utmost respect for him and the way in he handles the games.

Interestingly enough here is the teams records where he was involved with:

Crusaders: Played 11, Won 8 (72%)
Lions: Played 11, Won 8 (72%)

Are you saying it's not fun to see kiwis come up with conspiracy theories before a match even begins?

I object to the appointment of Peyper to referee this match, not because I don't think he will be fair and unbiased, but because I generally disagree with the appointment of non-neutral referees in Super Rugby, especially in playoff matches. Its not a good look for the game, as, no matter how much he is fair and even handed, if a controversial call goes the Lions way, there WILL be the perception that a South African referee has favoured a South African side. I wonder how many South African fans would be happy to see Springboks v England at Twickenham refereed by Wayne Barnes, or Springboks v All Blacks at Eden Park refereed by Glen Jackson?

Now the appointment of Peyper might be OK if there weren't other options, but in this case, there are. Angus Gardner is a top quality international referee. He's every bit as good as Peyper, but he has the additional merit of being neutral. He should have been appointed to referee this match.

Err, that's "Sterkte is niet genoeg"

Soms is dit alles wat jy nodig het!

That's still too 'Dutchy'. If I may split hairs it'd be "Sterkte is nie genoeg nie"; we've dropped the 't' and do the stupid double negative thing (blame the French Huguenots).

I agree with you RE Gardner. I'd have thought that to be set in stone after the (uncalled for IMO) outcry after the 'Canes capitulated. I know SANZAR are using local referees even in the finals as last year but assumed there was scope for change and I also in general prefer the appointment of neutral referees in an academic sense.

I object to the appointment of Peyper to referee this match, not because I don't think he will be fair and unbiased, but because I generally disagree with the appointment of non-neutral referees in Super Rugby, especially in playoff matches. Its not a good look for the game, as, no matter how much he is fair and even handed, if a controversial call goes the Lions way, there WILL be the perception that a South African referee has favoured a South African side. I wonder how many South African fans would be happy to see Springboks v England at Twickenham refereed by Wayne Barnes, or Springboks v All Blacks at Eden Park refereed by Glen Jackson?

Now the appointment of Peyper might be OK if there weren't other options, but in this case, there are. Angus Gardner is a top quality international referee. He's every bit as good as Peyper, but he has the additional merit of being neutral. He should have been appointed to referee this match.

Fair enough cooky.

But the New Zealanders should not be ranting about this appointment. Last year, the final was played in New Zealand, between a New Zealand team and a South African team. The referee was also a New Zealander in Glen Jackson.

The New Zealanders can't have it both ways. We always had neutral referees in Super 12 days. And there were soooo many complaints about the standard of the referees (especially from Australia), that SANZAR had no choice but to change to referees based on performance, and then it got a lot better (probably also the reason why there's less Aussie refs now).

But yeah, it would be better if playoff games where there are different nation's teams are involved have a neutral referee that is on par. Unfortunately if I look at the panel of referees, only Angus Gardner makes the cut. That guy from Japan and Anselmi from Argentina are no where near up to par to handle such big games.

So I guess it was a toss up between Gardner, Jackson and Peyper, and they went with Peyper.

Interesting opion piece comparing the 2017 Lions to the ***le winning 1993 Lions with the writer going for a combined XV stocked largely with players from the 1993 class. Can't fault his selctions overly much;

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/lions-2017-v-transvaal-1993-whos-better-20170801

15 Theo van Rensburg, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Japie Mulder, 12 Hennie le Roux (played flyhalf in 1993 final), 11 Pieter Hendriks, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Johan Roux, 8 Jaco Kriel (yes, slight gamble in this berth, as open side is more his speciality), 7 Ian Macdonald, 6 Francois Pienaar (capt), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Kobus Wiese, 3 Balie Swart (albeit loose-head in 1993 final), 2 Uli Schmidt, 1 Jacques van Rooyen.

But the New Zealanders should not be ranting about this appointment. Last year, the final was played in New Zealand, between a New Zealand team and a South African team. The referee was also a New Zealander in Glen Jackson.
It seems like people are complaining about Kiwis ranting about the ref more than Kiwis are actually ranting about the ref...

On this forum perhaps, but on social media, and news articles, the NZ'ers are being a bit OTT...
That's the media... can we really expect anything less? Social media commenters generally aren't that clued on about the game and just feed on what the media tell them... should never be taken seriously.

Lions to win this one. Then Crusaders would have been devoured twice this year by two Lions. :).

This will be a great game. Ellis park sold out within two days. I don't think even the Springboks has managed to sell out Ellis park in recent years.

On the ref for the final being a South African.
Last year in the super rugby final between he lions and hurricanes in NZ the ref was Glen Jackson. Now go to that thread see if you see people complaining about neutral refs. To avoid being a hypocrite you would need to lambast the decision to appoint Glen Jackson for the 2016 finals before criticizing Sanzaar for appointing Jaco Peyper for the 2017 version.
Should be a neutral ref to remove any possibility of assumed bias, or as suggested, counter bias. Where is Poite? :)

Dodgy conference system.

SA ref in the final

It's just asking for it.... Certainly if he has a mare, or something controversial as in the BI Lions tour.

Wil we be TMO'ed to death on every close call in the final? A local ref will perhaps do his best to look more than neutral.

I'm calling Mo'unga to put in a complete MOM performance and guide the Saders home!

It seems like people are complaining about Kiwis ranting about the ref more than Kiwis are actually ranting about the ref...
peypers a good appointment. he has integrity and always tries to have a fair game.

I don't get why Peyper has been appointed to ref the final. He's a good ref but neutral he aint.

Imagine Wayne Barnes reffing the last CCup final Clermont v Saracens?! totally bogus.

Latest posts