• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] The Final: 4 August 2018

Hard to look past the Crusaders. Playing rugby on a different level to anyone else in the competition. I'd live to see our lads go up against them but I wouldn't be that confident if they played.

Crusaders don't need the help of Gardener, but some of the 50/50 decisions are certainly going their way at the moment.

"some"? All of them.

What's Jantjies problem with pressure? You don't see 12-year-olds making mistakes like that. So ******* stupid.
Beside the scrum 5 (i couldn't believe what i was watching) he suddently thought: "we are against the best super rugby team, why don't i just start kicking and giving them the ball. See how many points they can score."
So ******* stupid

Class attack by Mo'unga and a good try. Crusaders at thir counter attacking best. Can't help but admire it. If I were the coach at half time though, the credit is all going to the defence. Lions haven't looked like breaking it much, bar the one break. The maul defence has been outstanding too.

Well, to be fair that was one of the 50/50 things i had in mind. Their maul defense relies heavily on when they start the push, and i thought that was questionable. At least on the first two LOs i thought the crusaders started pushing before the lions player with the ball had his feet on the ground.

Well, to be fair that was one of the 50/50 things i had in mind. Their maul defense relies heavily on when they start the push, and i thought that was questionable. At least on the first two LOs i thought the crusaders started pushing before the lions player with the ball had his feet on the ground.

Yeah. The first one on the 5m they pushed early, got underneath the lions player and it was a penalty to the lions. That was the one that annoyed me, as it's a psychological blow in first part of the game as well. However, the few since then they've timed it really well and the Lions took time to change their approach. There were a few instances of not releasing from the crusaders, but gardener wasn't favouring the attacking team, but they are 50/50s.

The lions are making all these mistakes in open play because of the defensive pressure for me.

1. Jantjies is poor
Understatement of the year. He missed every tackle he attempted, consistently gave the ball away to the best counter-attacking team and had the blunder of the season with that 5-meter scrum.
All things considering, an average Jantjies final game performance.

Not like Jantjies to get confused about where the try line is :D

I think the Lions who look like a team who like to bully through the forwards and use the set piece. They can't do either of that today, and they are missing some creativity/confidence/nous in the backs to break the defence down. Crusaders are not rushing as much this half but the lions look lost.

Edit: love a commentators curse post haha. Lions have a try!

Gardener is taking what I would call a stereotypical 'super rugby' approach to the breakdown today. Which is letting a lot go in order to keep the game moving.

Lovely hands for that try from the crusaders.

Back to back v the Lions away and now at home. Well done 'Saders.

Third year in a row losing the final for the Lions.

Last edited:
Great win for the saders, it's almost getting boring watching them demolish the opposition. Took a while to be totally convinced by Mo'unga but over the course of the last 4 or 5 weeks I am fully on board. He's a great 10 and with Beauden not being at his imperious best over the last couple of years, this could be a big kick up the arse for him as I really think Richie is in the running for starting at 10 in the Rugby Championship.

Richie Mo'unga is the best no 10 in super rugby this year. Should be the AB no 10 - play Beauden Barrett at 15. Mo'unga is just an absolute world class no 10, Crazy to think most nations would do everything possible to have a player like Mo'unga play for them yet he probably only make the All Blacks bench at very best.

Latest posts