• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 2: Argentina v South Africa (26/08/2017)

Bizarre game this. A number of players on both sides should do some homework watching schools rugby.

Fair to say SA won this game in scrappy style with the help of Arg throwing it away for good measure.

Fair to say SA won this game in scrappy style with the help of Arg throwing it away for good measure.

Is it a narrow pitch at Salta? There seems to be little space out wide despite all the points scored.

The Argentinian gameplay can generally be described as 'organised chaos'

Serfontain has not shown the form of the French series so far in this tournament. He needs to up his game to keep RJvR out I'd think. Solid, but unspectacular.

The Argentinian gameplay can generally be described as 'organised chaos'
"Organised" is generous.

Argentina have gone backwards massively in the last couple of years, it's a real shame. Not allowing non-Jaguares players to play for the national team was a big mistake IMO

They'll have to relax that rule. It's as simple as that. I hope they'll have the balls to pull back on it.

On another note, Jantjies hasn't been especially good, considering he's had an armchair ride

"Organised" is generous.
agreed!

Serfontain has not shown the form of the French series so far in this tournament. He needs to up his game to keep RJvR out I'd think.
I would LOVE to see them together, RJvR as inside and Serfontain as outside centre. They would complement each other beautifully.

Really weird game. The score line does not tell the story but a BP win and 15+ taking us ahead of Ireland into #3 on the world rankings and at #1 on the RC log (well at least for this week still).. I'll take it after 2016 but though its our first win away from home in a good while there is more than enough to keep my expectation about our Australasian tour minimal.

Argentina just need to cut out the small errors. Just. It feels like it should be simple doesn't it. A few critical turn overs, poor decision making/discipline (more often than other tier 1 nations it feels like) and handling at times letting both teams down but more so Argentina. If Hernandez had just passed rather than kicked after the intercept and break and if Argentina had held on and scored rather than Kolisi running in on the other side that's 21 points right there. Small margins adding up.

Last edited:
On another note, Jantjies hasn't been especially good, considering he's had an armchair ride

Cleared well, kicked for goal fine, scored one with a nice finish, created another with a handy chip and contributed to a third with a nice looping pass. His best game as a Bok for me, although that isn't saying much as he has not replicated his best Lion form. At least he showed he could play with someone who wasn't a Lion at scrum half.

South Africa back up to third by leap overtaking Ireland. What strikes me about their performances is they are not relying on individual magic, it's just been solid team performances and a whole lot of points scored.

Argentina have a lot of soul searching to do. On this performance I'd actually fancy Italy against them November for a battle of the worst Tier 1s.

Paige lifted us big time. He isn't our best but Hougaard taking three sidewards steps EVERY SINGLE TIME before passing means Jantjies has that much less time on the ball. Hougaard was solid on defense as usual but its his core game that tells me he is better left as utility cover on the bench. First kick in general play was Hougaard kicking posession away for 1/2 a meter. If anything Argentina had the go forward on that "up and under". Then there was the intercept pass he forced which should have cost us 7 if Hernandez didn't do us a huge favor to kick that ball dead with two men there and no defense. Hougaard also cost us a ton of possession by forcing passes. I counted at least three he launched at guys who spilled them rightfully not expecting to get the ball. But mainly its the slow service from the base that just irritates me.

Rhules still not impressing me. At least I counted two good tackles in there this time though there was still some backing off on defense from him. If anything if there is a forward there he should effect the tackle to allow the forward to compete at the ruck. I don't expect miracles from him on attack but we've grown to learn Bok wingers have to add value ang get themselves into the game. Lleyds and Combrinck IMO would be better suited at test level.

Beast has taken the good form from last week and actually had a better game despite this one being more contested than in PE. I will probably have to eat my words. Done. Tastes good. Here's hoping he can keep it up. He wouldn't be the first aging Bok I've called passed it to make a legit come back. Habana for one springs to mind. Less recently Du Randt and Montgomery. He can join illustrious company if he can continue to regain lost form and make such a positive impact.

Last edited:
Now it's east vs west.
Based on that performance compared to the tempo and skills of the NZ/Oz game earlier I don't see either of these sides getting a win home or away.

Latest posts