• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: Ireland vs England (18/03/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's off topic but I have to ask ... did you guys choose to do Latin at school, or did you have to?

I love how we've all inadvertently revealed ourselves to be the private school, latin-studying rugger-loving stereotypes.

...I had to do latin for two years but then opted to do it for another 5...um, yeh...

I know it's off topic but I have to ask ... did you guys choose to do Latin at school, or did you have to?

Dunno about the others, but for me it was compulsory aged 10-14(?) and i gave it up at the earliest possible opportunity

Last edited:
Compulsory from 8-13.

I hated learning languages whilst at school. Hated.

I see there's some other students of the Cambridge Latin Course in the house. Shout out to all the dead homie. I personally love and always have loved languages. So much so that I live in Austria this year. Whaddup boiiii C1 fluency in the building. Now back on topic:
attachment.php

What do this humble Sextant and Johnny Sexton have in common? Do they both read the stars? Well Johnny certainly can read a defence full of stars or otherwise, but surely it is he who is the greatest star. Is it that they are both golden? Johnny is undoubtedly a golden boy and a princely prize, but this is not the answer I seek.
It is that Johnny much like the sextant shall lead this team to unexplored waters, and unimaginable new heights on the rugby field. The sextant and Johnny Sexton. Bound by innovation and greatness.

Attachments

• Sextnant.jpeg
    Sextnant.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 38
I think I'm more surprised people opted for Latin than anything. It was available at my school so I'm not surprised it was available at others.

Unlike rats I absolutely loved languages and still do but no idea what would possess a man to chose a dead language over a living one. Probably because you're all just a bunch of private school stereotypes, drop the soap in the shower much?

Last edited:
I see there's some other students of the Cambridge Latin Course in the house. Shout out to all the dead homie. I personally love and always have loved languages. So much so that I live in Austria this year. Whaddup boiiii C1 fluency in the building. Now back on topic:
attachment.php

What do this humble Sextant and Johnny Sexton have in common? Do they both read the stars? Well Johnny certainly can read a defence full of stars or otherwise, but surely it is he who is the greatest star. Is it that they are both golden? Johnny is undoubtedly a golden boy and a princely prize, but this is not the answer I seek.
It is that Johnny much like the sextant shall lead this team to unexplored waters, and unimaginable new heights on the rugby field. The sextant and Johnny Sexton. Bound by innovation and greatness.

This plus the Latin ... it's like a Family Guy cutaway about British Smack Talk in here

#mosteducatedsmacktalkever

I think my surprised people opted for Latin than anything. It was available at my school so I'm not surprised it was available at others.

Unlike rats I absolutely loved languages and still do but no idea what would possess a man to chose a dead language over a living one. Probably because you're all just a bunch of private school stereotypes, drop the soap in the shower much?
Well I did two. We had to choose German or French. My German is on fleek (C1, did I mention?), but my choices were Latin, Art or something resembling woodwork, and I loved the history aspect of Latin.

I didn't say I hated the languages themselves... I'm just a bit of an autodidact.

Bunch of upperclass *****. I still haven't got English corect

Well I did two. We had to choose German or French. My German is on fleek (C1, did I mention?), but my choices were Latin, Art or something resembling woodwork, and I loved the history aspect of Latin.

You know what, that makes sense now. I was only offered Latin as a choice of second language (after French, I chose Spanish). If I could have done it as a third language I'd probably have gone for it

Not a huge fan of the old languages, decent enough at French but I can safely say I'll never put enough effort in to be fluent. Toulouse's dirty accent didn't help at the start of this college year though!

Not a huge fan of the old languages, decent enough at French but I can safely say I'll never put enough effort in to be fluent. Toulouse's dirty accent didn't help at the start of this college year though!
What's your level now?

In my day French was compulsory as a language, then you (your parents) got to choose between German, Latin and Russian as a second language. My father was anti-Kraut and very much a commie-basher. So I got 3 years of Latin. It was 50 years ago. Can someone construct a sentence containing "Vunipolae" using the ablative absolute? "Eg England are better with 2 Vunipolas in the team" I got 9/10 O-Levels. Latin was the one I failed. :)

French or German. Our right on state school teaching staff would not have approved of Latin (pointless drivel anyway). They struggled letting us play competitive sports as they didn't like kids loosing.....unless you struggled with English , then you were just thick.

Sorry am I dragging up old issues? "I'm NOT bad at languages! It's just my teachers don't understand me!"

Nope, I was bottom set for all languages (including English) because I didn't really give a ****, I resented learning French, and I didn't care about writing in English (lit or otherwise).

The quality of my written English when I first started posting on forums after I left school was awful. As I say, I'm autodidactic for the most part... my understanding of English is almost entirely intuitive.
I think I'd learn other languages fairly fast if I needed to, but I would struggle if someone sat down and tried to teach me German or French grammar, for example.

Last edited:
Sorry am I dragging up old issues? "I'm NOT bad at languages! It's just my teachers don't understand me!"

I'm just bad at languages, however much work i put into it; absolutely hated Latin.
My wife not 10+ years is French, we spend about a 6 weeks every year either in France, or with a houseful of Frenchfolk, and i put in the work through the rest of the year too. I can just about make myself understood, and follow a slow, basic conversation. My brain just isn't wired for languages

I went to the school of hard knocks, On the playground was where I spent most of my days,
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

(Although I did learn French at school and am fairly fluent in the language (decent speaker but struggle with writing though), surprisingly French with an English accent has a bit niche market in France I have since found though).

Bunch of posh ******s on this forum. (Granted I went to a private school and studied classics aswell but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts