• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs Scotland (12/03/2017)

Hopefully Slade gets a phone call. Teo would probably start. It wouldn't worry me greatly other than swapping out a concrete member of the squad - Slade is just as good a playmaker and we'd still have 3 kickers out there

I'd rather Lozowski get the call. Slade hasn't played at 10 much in the last few years, so wouldn't feel safe with him being the 10 cover, in case Ford was injured.

I meant jonny XD he is a machine lately, as for the back line comments, its easy to look like an amazing backline with front foot ball, Scotland have been playing beautiful rugby even on the back foot, i cant think of a player i from the English side i would put in the Scottish back line other than daly ,

Really ? As a combined backline I'd have
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Visser
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Hogg
I don't see the love in for the Scottish backline they are a decent unit in really good form but got shut down very easily by France . Russell is playing well but is too up and down for me, Laidlaw I wouldn't want anywhere near an England team and Dunbar and Jones are good players they just aren't as good as Faz and JJ imo. Scotland have a great back 3 but so do England and an extra 3 players back at their clubs who are easily good enough

Sorry, it's just one of my bugbears; neither has played there in the last 3 years, and neither lpayed there for very long (enough to be considered to have the instincts that just need re-awakening); whilst the likes of Watson often gets ignored as a FB as he doesn't play there for England, so people assume that Daly/Nowell must be more accustomed to the position. It happens a surprising amount on these boards.

Either way - Watson should start getting game-time at FB for England; if switching from wing initially.
IMO Brown isn't a liability, but he's always been a little compromised given his distribution (and pace to a degree); a compromise that was worth making when his defence and personal threat were on top form a few yeasrs ago (not to mention a lack of alternatives); and is still worth making given the lack of experienced alternatives - both those guys aren't going to become experienced whlist Brown has the shirt anyway. I fear that the Brown compromise won't still be worth it come 2019; so we need to get FB caps into the likes of Watson. Haley and Woodward need more time at club level for me to pass a proper opinion on them - I've never been a fan of capping players before they've had a chance to suffer Second Season Syndrome; and either overcome it, or side-step it. It's just so much easier to look good when no-one's done any video analysis on you, or worked out strategies to counter your threats and exploit your weaknesses - looking international quality against teams who know what's coming is the time to be tested at international level.

Love to see Watson at fullback, he could do some real damage counter attacking. Brown is consistent and reliable and finishes well, but the lack of pace and inability to step at pace hinders England's attack. They can get away with it, but it limits them.

Watson surely is the front runner to replace Brown, whenever the hell that actually happens. He's proven his class at international level and plays fullback regularly, there is literally no one else English who tick both those massive boxes. I'm not saying Nowell or Daly are terrible options but they are both leftfield choices compared to Watson.

My problem with Brown is that he gets the ball and just runs into someone. That's it, doesn't seem to pass or break the line any more.

He's certainly solid but we need more than that.

I'd rather Lozowski get the call. Slade hasn't played at 10 much in the last few years, so wouldn't feel safe with him being the 10 cover, in case Ford was injured.

He has played 10 enough to keep things running well in this team should the unlikely event occur that both Ford and Farrell go down injured. His kicking and distribution are second to none and the when he does run out at, or switch to, ten, he maintains a cool head and controls the game well. Combine that with his knowledge and experience gained from training with the team through the whole competition and it should be a straightforward choice. Saying that, rumours are that Loz is staying at the team hotel.

I really can't understand the reluctance to play Slade at 10, especially from someone who follows Chiefs and see's how he plays on a weekly basis. Last season people were loathe to consider him playing at 12 because he had a 13 on his back for most of the season, despite the fact 12 and 13 constantly interchange during Chiefs plays. A player of his ability could make a good account of himself in any position across the backline but his skillset and experience (almost all of his career bar last season) mean he plays best at 10, in my opinion. He started at 10 for the first 2 games of the season, Sarries and Wasps away. We lost both those games and it seemed to be blamed on the 'experiment' of putting Slade at flyhalf instead of Steeno the fan favourite. Steeno returned to the position and we continued to lose to weaker teams with our depleted and wavering squad. Since then, not only has Slade been the backup 10 in every match he has played, but the games he has started at 10 (Bordeaux away and Leicester away particularly) he has shown that he has the quality and confidence that is needed to control the game and get the backline moving at least as well as I have seen it before. Along with his distribution and kicking from hand, he offers a running threat, carries well, puts in big hits in defence and is a confident and reliable place kicker. Slade surely has the Chiefs 10 shirt moving forward and it should be a huge boon for England to have 3 young premiership 10's of international quality, two of which can play well as a 2nd 5/8.

He has played 10 enough to keep things running well in this team should the unlikely event occur that both Ford and Farrell go down injured. His kicking and distribution are second to none and the when he does run out at, or switch to, ten, he maintains a cool head and controls the game well. Combine that with his knowledge and experience gained from training with the team through the whole competition and it should be a straightforward choice. Saying that, rumours are that Loz is staying at the team hotel.

I really can't understand the reluctance to play Slade at 10, especially from someone who follows Chiefs and see's how he plays on a weekly basis. Last season people were loathe to consider him playing at 12 because he had a 13 on his back for most of the season, despite the fact 12 and 13 constantly interchange during Chiefs plays. A player of his ability could make a good account of himself in any position across the backline but his skillset and experience (almost all of his career bar last season) mean he plays best at 10, in my opinion. He started at 10 for the first 2 games of the season, Sarries and Wasps away. We lost both those games and it seemed to be blamed on the 'experiment' of putting Slade at flyhalf instead of Steeno the fan favourite. Steeno returned to the position and we continued to lose to weaker teams with our depleted and wavering squad. Since then, not only has Slade been the backup 10 in every match he has played, but the games he has started at 10 (Bordeaux away and Leicester away particularly) he has shown that he has the quality and confidence that is needed to control the game and get the backline moving at least as well as I have seen it before. Along with his distribution and kicking from hand, he offers a running threat, carries well, puts in big hits in defence and is a confident and reliable place kicker. Slade surely has the Chiefs 10 shirt moving forward and it should be a huge boon for England to have 3 young premiership 10's of international quality, two of which can play well as a 2nd 5/8.

Any idea what his % with the boot has been when he's had to kick (Not that he'd def be taking them, just curious)?

Watson surely is the front runner to replace Brown, whenever the hell that actually happens. He's proven his class at international level and plays fullback regularly, there is literally no one else English who tick both those massive boxes. I'm not saying Nowell or Daly are terrible options but they are both leftfield choices compared to Watson.

I would definitely agree. I've not seen all that much of Watson in the premiership. How does his defence compare to Mike Brown? Surely this is what keeps Brown in the team.

Guys

New to forum

My ticket for tomorrow's game has fallen through.

Still want to get the train down from Brum, but unsure how easy it would be to pick up a ticket from a punter with some to sell outside the ground (not touts).

Also aware you can purchase reissues, but have no idea how that is done either?

Any advice?

Btw: Heart says Scotland by 5+, head says England by 10+

Thanks

This season he's 76.9%; as in 10 from 13.
Previous 2 years he's 74.2%, as in 66 from 89.

Bear in mind these statistics will be skewed by the fact that the straightforward kicks are taken by the incumbent 10 Steenson, provided he is on the field. When kicks are 40m plus, Slade is given the tee. If Slade was taking all types of kicks week in week out, we would get a better indication of his kicking ability, but 75% from mostly long range kicks isn't bad at all.

Guys

New to forum

My ticket for tomorrow's game has fallen through.

Still want to get the train down from Brum, but unsure how easy it would be to pick up a ticket from a punter with some to sell outside the ground (not touts).

Also aware you can purchase reissues, but have no idea how that is done either?

Any advice?

Btw: Heart says Scotland by 5+, head says England by 10+

Thanks

Depends how much your willing to shell out. There will be plenty of touts outside the ground, but for a game like this I'd say you'd be pretty lucky to find a punter selling outside the ground, best bet is hanging around the touts waiting for someone looking to sell!

I heard they did a purchase resale yesterday but they limited it to affiliated clubs and debenture holders and it sold out in 20 mins so I doubt there will be any others available through official channels.

Farrell misses training today (after yesterdays injury).

If injured, Teo to IC, Slade to bench. I think we will be a little weaker kicking now (esp at goal) but stronger carriers in the backs.... Lucky to have other quality options to bring in.

Faz would obviously be a big loss but the impact would really depend on whether the forwards have the upper hand. If Ford is on the front foot, I don't think he would be too badly missed. If under pressure, I think Teo will struggle to fill that role.

Also, who would be captain when Hartley goes off? Am I right in thinking the other vice capts are Billy and Brown?

Farrell misses training today (after yesterdays injury).

If injured, Teo to IC, Slade to bench. I think we will be a little weaker kicking now (esp at goal) but stronger carriers in the backs.... Lucky to have other quality options to bring in.

Slade hasn't been named in the Chiefs team for the weekend so presumably he will step in if Farrell can't play. Rather than put Teo in at 12, I would rather see Slade start at 12 as a like for like replacement. Teo is a good player but he has a very different skillset. Starting Slade would mean that tactics, plays and systems would stay the same as if Farrell was playing, and the bench will keep its punch.

Slade hasn't been named in the Chiefs team for the weekend so presumably he will step in if Farrell can't play. Rather than put Teo in at 12, I would rather see Slade start at 12 as a like for like replacement. Teo is a good player but he has a very different skillset. Starting Slade would mean that tactics, plays and systems would stay the same as if Farrell was playing, and the bench will keep its punch.

Good points and I'd love to see Slade play. However, I'm sure England have trained enough for a plan B with Teo at IC seeing as how he is likely to come off the bench even if Faz was playing. It might change the game plan a little, but I'd hazard a guess that England are more prepared with Teo at IC than Slade. I completely agree with Slade is a more like for like but I presume we've trained more with Ford/Farrel at FH and Teo at IC.

Maybe, I'm obv guessing. But I think that makes sense ;/

Plus it will be his first real chance to show what he can do in a full test match. Teo at 12 will change too much of the English system and who knows, Slade may even perform better than Farrell at running the ball to the line. He has showed some nice skills in his short appearances so far.

Latest posts