• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. Ireland (04/02/2017)

Yeah you (and AB ) have a point on the lineout.

See thats where we are looking different. You are looking at backrow exclusively which in a way is right but issues elsewhere means a sacrifice or balance is needed. Like the back 5 of scrum argubally causes as many issues as it solves.

If Ireland were to play England I'd be most scared of Pom, Sob, Stander.

SOB is a 6/7/8. You could play him in any of those positions and he'd be international level. Ireland do have to sort out the lineout though, teams will be even more alert to it than before.

Yeah you (and AB ) have a point on the lineout.

If Ireland were to play England I'd be most scared of Pom, Sob, Stander.

SOB is a 6/7/8. You could play him in any of those positions and he'd be international level. Ireland do have to sort out the lineout though, teams will be even more alert to it than before.

I agree on both points.

Heaslip has so much experience to offer, but personally I think Stander brings more to the side. Dropping Heaslip would allow you to bring POM in to the side which would massively help a creaking lineout.

Although the lineout stats weren't too bad, stats alone don't tell the full story. Best's throwing has regressed, you were very slow getting Toner in to the air and it was all a bit too predictable. It's arguably the weakest part of Ireland's game right now and O'Mahony is your best lineout forward of the back row options.

VdF is a great asset off the bench too.

Heaslip brings more to the 8 position than Stander, his passing game, intelligence and lineout work are all better, CJ is the more explosive carrier but is more suited to the 6 position in this Ireland side. Our strongest backrow is what played on Saturday but the one that we need is POM in for Stander.

The facts are this. CJ can ppay 6 effectively BUT his best position is 8. So it is simply a choice. Stander or Heaslip. I of course would gonfor CJ other will go for Heaslip. There is probably a real case to be made for each and anyone that goes for Heaslip can probably offer as good a case as I or anyone going for CJ can.

BPM I think stats can tell story though when you have guys like Stander as your 2nd choice lineout option it shows we are a bit in trouble as he has no height and this in return heaps pressure on Best throw which is a bit of a challenging aspect of his game over years.

Just on the tries. I know people might not agree with either but the42.ie Murray Kinsella and BOD on Newstalk tonight gave a similar view on tries and it's very good analysis

Latest posts