• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Reds vs. Highlanders (Round 7) 09/04/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it wasnt the correct call due to the current rules did I?
Technically, you did not, but in reality, you implied it.

Pot.kettle.black.

...have to agree, that loss emphasising how vital Ben Smith, Dixon and Naholo were toward the Landers winning last year...and bring back Ryan Tongia...
..reading the comments some are saying Sopoaga had a shocker , others want him to be the AB first five which is a bit contradictory...those two tries will probably guarantee him the understudy role to Cruden all the same...

His defense in the first half was shocking but so was the whole teams, because they were attacking him and he wasn't protected off the ruck because we didn't have Dixon either and absolutely he should be in the All Blacks, his goal kicking is fantastic.

Really not a fan of running Squire and Whitelock at the same time, should've started Pryor over either or.

If you watched the Blues VS HL game earlier in the season you'll see why the HL supporters on here have serious issues with the guy. The HL were total pants in this game BUT jackson does them absolutly no favours whatsover and appears to be a damn near gauranteed loss for us if he's reffing. Some of the calls and the breakdown control in this game defied belief it was just like the Blues game all over again.

Anybody that come on here trying to say Jackson is anything but a **** ref needs to go watch that blues game then watch this!!!

I never said anything about Jackson or the reffing of the match, just that there can't be too many complaints with the tries situation and the disallowed tries. But I do understand, I don't think many people rate Jackson, but there was definitely more at play than the ref and from a non-biased have no horses in this race perspective, it's a fair result from what transpired.

This game has probably killed our chances at a home qualifier as well. Need the Crusaders to slip up and hope the Canes don't continue their run of form.

I never said anything about Jackson or the reffing of the match, just that there can't be too many complaints with the tries situation and the disallowed tries. But I do understand, I don't think many people rate Jackson, but there was definitely more at play than the ref and from a non-biased have no horses in this race perspective, it's a fair result from what transpired.

Its actually a similar thing to Wayne Barnes for me. What happens with reffs like him and Jackson if one team doesnt run an out and out fetcher (or one team has nothing but intent to attack the ball at every ruck like Australia did with Hooper and Pocock in tandem) games descend into an utter free for all at the break down with no control and it ends up a lolly scramble mess.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/408/218/926/petition-for-glen-jackson-to-not-referee-any-of-the-highlanders-game-again/

I can imply anything I want its a friggin discussion forum isnt it?
You can, but i can call you out on the nonsense you've posted, too. It's a frigging discussion forum, isn't it?

I was actually going to suggest a petition. Life isn't as coincidental as people think, the Barnes AB episode, the Jackson Highlanders episode, actually nearly any game Jackon refs is poor, the petition should be changed for him to quit entirely.

But let's not make excuses for our worse than school boy defending in the first half, we looked like headless chickens without a few of our talisman, really expected guys like Fekitoa to stand up in a situation like that.

Glen Jackson is a total muppet who should be banned from reffing, first game I've watched where illegal play 3+ phases back which had no impact on a try being scored can be penalised with penalty and disallowed try. Yes Wheeler will probably be cited and suspended, fair enough. But a messy, scrappy, error-filled game wasn't helped by an incompetent ref - he has a history of poor displays. Up there with Steve Walsh.

But anyway, I have noticed that the players which have come into the team this season aren't too flash, Squire shows flashes of his brilliance, but I don't like Whitelock with Squire, it's like running two mobile loosies with Christie who is a fetcher. Elliot Dixon is needed, he looked so great last season as whilst hes a powerful player we had Nasi Manu who played very tight and is a physical bloke and thus allowed Elliot to play a bit looser. We need someone to fill that tight role.

Adding to JJ's puzzling favourites list, include Trent Renata and Jarrad Hoeata, the latter who was not a good 6.

Emery is a decent player, I remember in 2012 he was only what, 19, yet played 100x better than Nonu whenever he came on. Agree with Fekitoa, we need to see more of those runs like the one which led to that awesome try against the Stormers or Sharks, as well as developing his distribution. Tongia is good, but remember he is even more inconsistent than Patty Osbourne. He does need to get game time though.

I'd like to add how cool it was to see the vast improvement Sopoaga added to the team at number 12. Thompson for me needs to be dropped. Last game he had a very average performance too. He's a poor man's Burleigh. I'd experiment with Banks/Parker at 10 and Sops at 12. Sopoaga has a pretty good running game, which we don't really see when he's at 10.

Richard Buckmans injury is probably our most devastating. Our midfield feels so exposed, Buckman is so reliable and Emery is great off the bench, I think it's time he gets a start now though, Thompsons just not cutting edge and good enough in defense, Emery barely misses a tackle.

Glen Jackson is a total muppet who should be banned from reffing, first game I've watched where illegal play 3+ phases back which had no impact on a try being scored can be penalised with penalty and disallowed try. Yes Wheeler will probably be cited and suspended, fair enough.

The two-phase limit to call back play for TMO review does not apply when an AR calls in an infringement at the time it takes place. It also does not apply to foul play or dangerous play (which is what happened here ).

This is no different to the way game has been adjudicated before TMOs and ever since TJs were allowed to hang their flag for foul play back in the 1980s

The two phase limit applies to technical infringements such as hands in the ruck, offside, forward passes, knock ons etc, i.e. non foul play infringements.

A lot of Landers supporters blaming the ref , the totally professional former Chiefs , Maori AB standoff Glen Jackson for their embarrassing loss against the wooden spooners...try taking it like men instead of squealing like little school girls...

We're allowed but point out the ref had a shocker, being a good player doesn't give him an excuse to be a bad ref

One of the biggest moments for me was with three minutes o the clock, we come half way up the pitch, looking very confident, tackle made and it goes to ground, no one is on their feet to ruck the ball...and yet it just comes rolling out the Reds side, can someone explain how that can happen if no one uses their hands?...its just so blatant and happening very slowly right in front of him

It broke the momentum and we should have got the penalty that could have won it

Well done, Reds. Their best performance of the season so far. They crushed the current champion in the first half. Reds are improving a lot, they could be a threat for the next season

A lot of Landers supporters blaming the ref , the totally professional former Chiefs , Maori AB standoff Glen Jackson for their embarrassing loss against the wooden spooners...try taking it like men instead of squealing like little school girls...

To be fair, Jackson was poor in this match. Too often, he allows jackler turnovers at the breakdown when the tackler has not completely released the tackled player. They are supposed to "see daylight". Like Jabby, I am suspicious of how that ball popped out on the Reds' side of the ruck, but if he didn't see hands, he can't rule hands.

Also, he has a tendency to allow a "standing tackle" to go on too long before he calls maul. When the tacklers are trying to hold the ball carrier up the ball carrier and his teammate(s) should only be allowed one attempt to get a knee on the ground; if they fail, then he should call maul straight away.

However, the two disallowed tries he ruled were exactly right,

1. Christie was ahead of the kick and moved towards the ball, a clear and obvious offside
2. Joe Wheeler had his opponent in a headlock, he will probably be cited for that too.

Jackson got the protocols right in both cases; within the "two-phase" limit for the offside, and within the previous stoppage limit for the foul play. The criticism from some here on that point at least is totally unfounded.

Last edited:

We all pointed out how poor our tackling was in the first half and that was mainly to blame for this loss.

Please shut up.

..haha..must be hard for the hung over scarfies to come to terms with their team being no more than one hit wonders...

..haha..must be hard for the hung over scarfies to come to terms with their team being no more than one hit wonders...

Those in glasses houses shouldnt throw stones!

You chiefs team has had a good run but I can gaurantee you that wont last forever with that forward pack they have. Mckenzie and Cruden cant save them every game.

And I seem to remember a certain lions team that had a field day against your cheifs and there was a fair bit of bleating going on about it.

Last edited:
...losing to the bottom teams of each conference probably just means you were a bit complacent...don't worry there's still hope for the HL...

Why you always use "..." to start and end sentences? Did they not give you a proper education in Mooloo land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts