• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Australia v Argentina (17/09/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065412996251.png

Venue: NIB Stadium,Perth
Time: 12:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee: Wayne Barnes
Assistant Referees: Nigel Owens & Nick Briant
TMO: Ben Skeen

Teams

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Samu Kerevi, 12 Bernard Foley, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Dean Mumm, 5 Adam Coleman, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (c), 1 Scott Sio

Substitutes (one to be omitted): Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Tom Robertson, Rory Arnold, Lopeti Timani, Sean McMahon, Nick Phipps, Tevita Kuridrani, Henry Speight

Argentina: 15 Joaquín Tuculet, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matías Moroni, 12 Santiago González Iglesias, 11 Lucas González Amorosino, 10 Nicolás Sánchez, 9 Tomás Cubelli, 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Matías Alemanno, 4 Javier Ortega Desio, 3 Ramiro Herrera, 2 Agustín Creevy (c), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro

Substitutes: 16 Julian Montoya, 17 Lucas Noguera, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Marcos Kremer, 20 Leonardo Senatore, 21 Martín Landajo, 22 Gabriel Ascarate, 23 Matías Orlando

Last edited:
This will probably be far more interesting than the other match. I'm betting on the Argies to win.

The probably Pumas starting XV to face the Wallabies in Perth:

15 Joaquin Tuculet
14 Gonzalez Amorosino
13 Matias Moroni
12 Gonzalez Iglesias
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Nicolas Sanchez
9 Tomas Cubelli
8 Facundo Isa
7 Juan Leguizamon
6 Pablo Matera
5 Matias Alemanno
4 Ortega Desio
3 Ramiro Herrera
2 Agustin Creevy (c)
1 Tetaz Chaparro

This will probably be far more interesting than the other match. I'm betting on the Argies to win.

Who would have thought this statement to be true just a few years ago?

Games involving Argentina being the most entertaining and also giving Argentina a real chance don't sound out of place any more and it just shows how far Argentina have developed since joining the comp.

In saying that Go the Wallabies! but it wont be an easy game.

15 September 2012
Australia 23–19 Argentina
We both scored two tries but we missed our two conversions.

14 September 2013
Australia 14–13 Argentina

Yeah Argentina were competitive pretty much since the start IIRC, it just took a bit longer to actually start winning.

I was backing them to beat Aus before the weekend, and definitely at half time against NZ, but not so sure after how they capitulated unfortunately

We have a strong chance, but I'm not expecting a win. Our injuries are killing us. I just don't like Ortega Desio and even less as a second row...he lacks strength in the breakdown, he is weak defensively...

We are missing a lot of good players and I don't think our bench is good enough.

I hope Imhoff, Ayerza, Galarza, Carriza and Patricio Fernandez decide to play in the southern hemisphere before the next RWC.

Imagine this for Japan's RWC...

1. Ayerza
2. Creevy
3. Herrera/Figallo
4. Lavanini
5. Petti
6. Matera
7. Senatore/Isa (both are too good to be on the bench)
8. Isa/Senatore
9. Landajo/Cubelli
10. Sanchez
11. Imhoff
12. Hernandez
13. Moroni
14. Cordero
15. Tuculet

16. Herrera/Figallo
17. Montoya
18. Tetaz Chaparro
19. Alemanno/Carriza/Galarza
20. Leguizamon/Lezana/Kremer
21. Cubelli/Landajo
22. De La Fuente/Gonzalez Iglesias
23. Patricio Fernandez/Delguy

I'm sure I'm missing some other guys, but I think that team is not too unrealistic.

Nice team, but I don't think some players will be still active at that time, like: Ayerza, Creevy, Leguizamon and Hernandez.

Wallabies starting XV for the clash:

1. Scott Sio (21 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (108 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (69 Tests)
4. Rob Simmons (63 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (3 Tests)
6. Dean Mumm (49 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (57 Tests)
8. David Pocock (59 Tests)
9. Will Genia (69 Tests)
10. Quade Cooper (60 Tests)
11. Reece Hodge (2 Tests)
12. Bernard Foley (33 Tests)
13. Samu Kerevi (4 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty (6 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (44 Tests)

Reserves (one to be omitted)

Tatafu Polota-Nau (67 Tests)
James Slipper (80 Tests)
Tom Robertson*
Rory Arnold (3 Tests)
Lopeti Timani*
Sean McMahon (10 Tests)
Nick Phipps (44 Tests)
Tevita Kuridrani (37 Tests)
Henry Speight (5 Tests)

Finally this is the Pumas starting XV, the same that I told you:

1.Nahuel Chaparro
2.Agustin Creevy (c)
3.Ramiro Herrera
4.Javier Desio
5.Matias Alemanno
6.Pablo Matera
7.Juan Leguizamon
8.Facundo Isa
9.Tomas Cubelli
10.Nicolas Sanchez
11.Lucas Amorosino
12.Santiago Iglesias
13.Matias Moroni
14.Santiago Cordero
15.Joaquin Tuculet

16.Julian Montoya
17.Lucas Noguera
18.Enrique Peretto
19.Marcos Kremer
20.Leonardo Senatore
21.Martin Landajo
22.Gabriel Ascarate
23.Matias Orlando

Nice team, but I don't think some players will be still active at that time, like: Ayerza, Creevy, Leguizamon and Hernandez.

Creevy and Ayerza will be active, I'm sure. But yeah, Leguizamón and Hernandez will probably be retired by that time.

Games involving Argentina being the most entertaining and also giving Argentina a real chance don't sound out of place any more and it just shows how far Argentina have developed since joining the comp.

In saying that Go the Wallabies! but it wont be an easy game.

Last week I thought the AB vs Pumas was going to be a damp squib and the Boks vs Wallabies in Oz would be the humdinger, I couldn't have been more wrong.
I tell you it's a lottery on who is going to turn up and I hope that with their second week on the road the Pumas still have plenty left in the tank to deal with a Wallaby outfit that have turned a corner and notched up their first win of the year. That will be a massive relief for Cheika and his charges. Now they have reset the clock they can look at how they want to set things to rights.
Obviously the Pumas are the underdogs so it's hard not to want them to win, and the way they threw themselves at the AB's for 60 minutes in the last game they were well worth the entry fee, but I'd be happy just to see an exciting game and both teams have got skills to burn and pace out wide so it hopefully will turn out to be a humdinger... if the unpredictable Aussie weather behaves itself.

I'm apparently alone in thinking the Oz vs SA game last week was pretty good (barring that appalling last 20mins where the game was stopped so often). The official Youtube highlights of the game were 15mins long, so there must have been some action!

Both teams playing at a higher standard than I expected at the start of the tournament and good to see four players with less than five caps in the Oz starting lineup. The Cooper / Foley tandem could easily blow cold, particularly against such a good attacking team as Argentina, but I really think Cheika has stumbled on something positive their.

Oz played with a bit of hesitancy against SA, presumably a little terrified of losing yet another game. That weight will be off their shoulders and I expect a quality performance from them here against a banged up Argentina.

Oz by 9-12

I'm apparently alone in thinking the Oz vs SA game last week was pretty good (barring that appalling last 20mins where the game was stopped so often). The official Youtube highlights of the game were 15mins long, so there must have been some action!

Both teams playing at a higher standard than I expected at the start of the tournament and good to see four players with less than five caps in the Oz starting lineup. The Cooper / Foley tandem could easily blow cold, particularly against such a good attacking team as Argentina, but I really think Cheika has stumbled on something positive their.

Oz played with a bit of hesitancy against SA, presumably a little terrified of losing yet another game. That weight will be off their shoulders and I expect a quality performance from them here against a banged up Argentina.

Oz by 9-12

i thought the game was more fun to watch as a neutral since the ozzies seemed to be taking a lot of chances but if i supported either side i would ahve been very frustated

Finally this is the Pumas starting XV, the same that I told you:

1.Nahuel Chaparro
2.Agustin Creevy (c)
3.Ramiro Herrera
4.Javier Desio
5.Matias Alemanno
6.Pablo Matera
7.Juan Leguizamon
8.Facundo Isa
9.Tomas Cubelli
10.Nicolas Sanchez
11.Lucas Amorosino
12.Santiago Iglesias
13.Matias Moroni
14.Santiago Cordero
15.Joaquin Tuculet

16.Julian Montoya
17.Lucas Noguera
18.Enrique Peretto
19.Marcos Kremer
20.Leonardo Senatore
21.Martin Landajo
22.Gabriel Ascarate
23.Matias Orlando

The forwards (starters + first row replacement) seems to be good enough.
The starting backs are good in general. However, I think we may miss Hernandez.
Without him we will gain some consistency in our kicks. But, I think that we will lose some variants on our offense.
Also, we have several unexperienced players on our bench (again particularly on our backs).

Oz by 15+

No disrespect to our Australian friends on this board, but...

I really hope Argentina win this, not only because i have money on the game ( :D ), but also because they will register their first win in Australia. Would be great for their confidence. I love it that Argentina are doing so well nowadays. They are fast becoming a favourite team of mine to watch. They play some lovely rugby.

No disrespect to our Australian friends on this board, but...

I really hope Argentina win this, not only because i have money on the game ( :D ), but also because they will register their first win in Australia. Would be great for their confidence. I love it that Argentina are doing so well nowadays. They are fast becoming a favourite team of mine to watch. They play some lovely rugby.

Actually, we have already won in Australia:

[TABLE="class: wikitable sortable jquery-tablesorter"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="class: headerSort"]Details[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Played[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Won by
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Won by
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Drawn[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Argentina points[/TH]
[TH="class: headerSort, width: 125, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Australia points[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR]
[TD]In Argentina[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]187[/TD]
[TD]254[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]In Australia[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]358[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Neutral venue[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]34[/TD]
[TD]61[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Overall[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]387[/TD]
[TD]673
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]3[/TH]
[TD]31 July 1983[/TD]
[TD]Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane[/TD]
[TD]3 – 18[/TD]
[TD]
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I'm not very optimistic for this match though, too many injured players but I recognize we have a better momuntum than Oz. I really enjoyed the first 70 minutes of Pumas' rugby in both SA tests and even though we were very lucky to win the second one. As for the NZ test, I think we have a regresion, we last 55 mins compared to the 65 mins of the RWC pool stage match, but there is posible that they are becoming more awesome too!
The "only SH" selection policy is killing us, very small pool of players for the RC that personally I think it's more difficult than the RWC, at least from a Pumas perspective.

The Cooper / Foley tandem could easily blow cold, particularly against such a good attacking team as Argentina, but I really think Cheika has stumbled on something positive their.

No problems, they have to defend against Gonzalez Iglesias in this case.

Latest posts