• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Italy vs. Scotland (27/02/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Italy.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Scotland.png

Venue: Stadio Olympico
Time: 14:25 GMT

Visser rumoured to be in line to start. Haven't seen him since injury (and wasn't even aware he was back), but hopefully he'll finish some of the half chances we create.

Visser rumoured to be in line to start. Haven't seen him since injury (and wasn't even aware he was back), but hopefully he'll finish some of the half chances we create.

While not quite as good defensively as Maitland, I'd have more faith in Visser who has much more gas than Lamont.

Bit disappointed Dunbar hasn't made the squad which probably means we won't see him fully match fit for the rest of the campaign.

Last edited:
This is a MUST WIN game for Scotland in my opinion otherwise it's another winless 6N for us which would surely frustrate the coaches, players and SRU because, in patches, we have been very promising but also, we have been sloppy with silly errors.

I do believe that if we play as we did in Cardiff, we will win this match which would be a huge relief plus may lead to another win or 2.

I am going to predict a very tight clash which will be decided by a Stuart Hogg converted try- 17- 20 to Scotland ;).

Scotland should really win this, Italian confidence will be at an all time low after being pummelled by England and Scotland have enough pace in their backs to get a try or 2. If they don't win, they will likely go on to beat their record for longest losing streak in Scottish history.

England pulled away in the second half and I don't think Scotland will be capable of that (fairly weak bench).

Disappointed Dunbar is out but inside centre is one of the positions with reasonable depth, even if Dunbar is the best option by a distance. In a lot of positions we either don't have a viable alternative, or there's a significant drop in quality, at least Horne, Scott and Taylor are capable players.

It'll be interesting to see if VC starts full strength like he did in the first two matches or leave some impact players on the bench like he did in the WC. We clearly have strength in depth issues after having to play Nel for the full 80 against Wales.

Visser in for Lamont

Scotland team: Stuart Hogg; Tommy Seymour, Mark Bennett (all Glasgow), Duncan Taylor (Saracens),Tim Visser (Harlequins); Finn Russell (Glasgow), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester, capt); Al Dickinson, Ross Ford, WP Nel (all Edinburgh); Richie Gray (Castres); Jonny Gray (Glasgow); John Barclay (Scarlets), John Hardie (Edinburgh), Dave Denton (Bath).

Replacements: Stuart McInally, Rory Sutherland (both Edinburgh), Moray Low (Exeter), Tim Swinson, Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh), Peter Horne, Sean Lamont (both Glasgow).

It'll be interesting to see if VC starts full strength like he did in the first two matches or leave some impact players on the bench like he did in the WC. We clearly have strength in depth issues after having to play Nel for the full 80 against Wales.

I think Scotland may need to sacrifice a bit of starting power for a stronger bench. England showed how a strong bench late game can tear the Italians apart and Scotland's weakness has always been really poor 2nd half performances, many times going scoreless.

I think Scotland may need to sacrifice a bit of starting power for a stronger bench. England showed how a strong bench late game can tear the Italians apart and Scotland's weakness has always been really poor 2nd half performances, many times going scoreless.

Damn it, I agree with you. I do think though that the usual starting front row needs to be in at the beginning. Get the ball up in their 22 and let Nel create the scrum penalties.

Anyone outside of Italy or Scotland interested in this match by any chance?

This is what we know Scotland are capable of , quick ball and it's good to see fair play

Decent display so far! Even if it is the battle of the bottom feeders.

More excitement in a Pro12 match......but at least this match attracted a crowd to give some atmosphere I suppose!!!

Would have been nice for Italy to turn up. I was hoping for a battle.

Latest posts