• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 RBS Six Nations Predictions

Maybe but there's no denying Stander has been the form backrow player in Ireland this year. Which is more impressive considering issues in Munster. At the camp the pack that seemed to be 1st choice was

McGrath
Best
White
Toner
McCarthy
Stander
SOB
Heaslip

Regards Captaincy I've heard Best Sexton and Kearney are strong candidates too so I'd think it'll go to Best for now.

Would agree with that pack bar Stander and White. Moore should start imo but more than likely we'll see Ross (hopefully not). Very difficult to imagine he'll slip seamlessly into that backrow considering the first time that backrow will play together will be against Wales. Schmidt wants consistency and considering our first game is a must win, if we lose we are out of contention for a GS, triple crown and we still have france and england away to play, he will go with the tried and trusted with either Henry and Ruddock in the backrow.
How do you know that that pack was considered first choice btw?
Definitely would not give the captaincy to Sexton nor Kearney. Best or Heaslip are by far our best choices

But stats don't........

Oh coime orn!!!!

Depends who records what and how, sample size, and who interprets them!!!

20 carries of 1 yard in your own 25 (bear with me I am old) is a lot less satisfactory than 20 carries of 1 yard which result in tries.......

1 tackle that prevents a winger, who has run 40 yards, from scoring is better than 20 tackles around a mail/ruck!

Would agree with that pack bar Stander and White. Moore should start imo but more than likely we'll see Ross (hopefully not). Very difficult to imagine he'll slip seamlessly into that backrow considering the first time that backrow will play together will be against Wales. Schmidt wants consistency and considering our first game is a must win, if we lose we are out of contention for a GS, triple crown and we still have france and england away to play, he will go with the tried and trusted with either Henry and Ruddock in the backrow.
How do you know that that pack was considered first choice btw?
Definitely would not give the captaincy to Sexton nor Kearney. Best or Heaslip are by far our best choices

The thing is Schmidt knows he has to change it a bit all over. Consistency is his trait but as he said himself he's 1 bad campaign away from being gone in terms of things change rapid. And I know it was the pack that were scrummaging at the camp through the Munster lads.
Heaslip has a poor record as captain and I don't know if this is an issue but he doesn't have the respect of all people from other provinces. Best is probably the wise choice in my eyes but again I don't think it'll be a 1 man job in dressing room regardless.

Oh coime orn!!!!

20 carries of 1 yard in your own 25 (bear with me I am old) is a lot less satisfactory than 20 carries of 1 yard which result in tries.......

1 tackle that prevents a winger, who has run 40 yards, from scoring is better than 20 tackles around a mail/ruck!

Well I said I didn't have them types. But the guy who does the 20 tackles around ruck mean the 1 try scoring 1 is lesser possibility.

Oh coime orn!!!!

Suitably detailed stats would include all of that. Such a shame we don't have them.

Man, this is tame for an interpro fight. Fight! For for my entertainment! Heaslip's pony! Toner's lanky and useless! No Munster player save Murray should start for Ireland! Ulster should provide the entire backline outside of 9!

Suitably detailed stats would include all of that. Such a shame we don't have them.

Man, this is tame for an interpro fight. Fight! For for my entertainment! Heaslip's pony! Toner's lanky and useless! No Munster player save Murray should start for Ireland! Ulster should provide the entire backline outside of 9!

On current form Stander is our only player deserving of a start. Murray has been poor. Our backs are in poor form. Tommy is playing well up front but way off 6N pace due to injury layoff and injury again.
My Irish team based on form

McGrath
Best
Ross/White
Toner
D. Ryan (only as our options are limited)
Stander
SOB
Heaslip

Murray (again due to lack of alternatives)
Sexton
Fitzgearld
Henshaw
McCloskey/Marshall
Trimble
Kearney

I think Stander could suffer from being tied to our sinking ship here. Regardless of how **** Munster have been he's never let his standard drop. He missed a bad tackle yesterday but to be fair that's about it. I think Heaslip has been good recently and is one of the guys who beat his post WC funk so it'll be interesting to see who's picked where and what balance is wanted. Murray will still start regardless of how muck he was for much of yesterday. Neither of Munster's wings should get a look in at this stage. Zebo has been riding on his early reputation for too long. He's anything but evasive, rarely actually stretches his legs and just looks ponderous on the ball. I honestly feel he's welcome to go abroad if he's getting any sort of decent wage. Earls likewise typifies how bad Munster have been. Still believe he's an outstanding player offensively when given the ball but his defence was a real liability yesterday which I accept should be at the forefront of what we pick players based on.
On Dave Kearney.... I just don't rate him internationally but we all won't agree. He has his strengths and bar the World Cup was effective, but he's not a long term option there.

On current form Stander is our only player deserving of a start. Murray has been poor. Our backs are in poor form. Tommy is playing well up front but way off 6N pace due to injury layoff and injury again.

McGrath
Best
Ross/White
Toner
Stander
SOB
Heaslip

Sexton
Fitzgearld
Henshaw
McCloskey/Marshall
Trimble
Kearney

That's the team I like too for the record

I don't want Fitz at 11, he's playing great rugby at 12 and is better there than Henshaw, Henshaw is then our best option at 13. The question of who plays at 11 is interesting, current form it's Dave Kearney, a back three of the Kearneys and Trimble has won a 6 nations before and we have no viable up and coming options so it makes sense to me.

I don't want Fitz at 11, he's playing great rugby at 12 and is better there than Henshaw, Henshaw is then our best option at 13. The question of who plays at 11 is interesting, current form it's Dave Kearney, a back three of the Kearneys and Trimble has won a 6 nations before and we have no viable up and coming options so it makes sense to me.

Actually swap the centres on MM's team and I think it's money. McCloskey ain't no 13. I think McCloskey has more than earned his chance but honestly I won't be aggrieved if Fitz does go to 12.

Actually swap the centres on MM's team and I think it's money. McCloskey ain't no 13. I think McCloskey has more than earned his chance but honestly I won't be aggrieved if Fitz does go to 12.
If Ireland were playing next week I'd want Fitz far ahead of McCloskey who has been poor here and last week, both at top form I'd also want Fitz, the next two weeks will tell a lot.

If we're going purely on form over the last while (which of course the team won't be picked on) Muldowney, AOC and McCarthy are all ahead of Ryan.

If we're going purely on form over the last while (which of course the team won't be picked on) Muldowney, AOC and McCarthy are all ahead of Ryan.

I agree on that point. I just discarded the Connacht lads due to I don't know I just feel they'll be overlooked and McCarthy due to him being older. FWIW Ryan is in terrible form.

McGrath
Best
Ross/White
Toner
Stander
SOB
Heaslip

Sexton
Fitzgearld
Henshaw
McCloskey/Marshall
Trimble
Kearney

Definitely wouldn't have Ross or White starting at all.
McCarthy/Muldowney/AOC over Ryan.
Ruddock/Henry over Stander
McCloskey isn't a 13 at all.
Henshaw with Marshall could be a dangerous partnership. Would prefer Fitzgerald and Henshaw at 12 and 13 respectively as Fitzgerald is far more creative and has better passing skills than Henshaw.

Definitely wouldn't have Ross or White starting at all.
McCarthy/Muldowney/AOC over Ryan.
Ruddock/Henry over Stander
McCloskey isn't a 13 at all.
Henshaw with Marshall could be a dangerous partnership. Would prefer Fitzgerald and Henshaw at 12 and 13 respectively as Fitzgerald is far more creative and has better passing skills than Henshaw.

Well on that. I've stated McCarthy is probably a contender and while the Connacht boys fully deserve their spot I just think they'll be overlooked.

Moore hasn't been pulling trees up so not sure who else is there at TH.

Stander in my eyes and a lot of others has been the form backrow in country. If you don't agree fair enough.

McCloskey can play 12. Marshall can play 12/13 and is playing good rugby.
Fitzgearld is an option at centre if not the wing

Just wanted to get a feel for everyones final standings predictions for 2016. I will go first (winner in brackets).

Rd 1
Fra v Ita (Fra)
Sco v Eng (Eng)
Ire v Wal (Ire)

Rd 2
Fra v Ire (Fra)
Wal v Sco (Wal)
Ita v Eng (Eng)

Rd 3
Wal v Fra (Wal)
Ita v Sco (Sco)
Eng v Ire (Eng)

Rd 4
Ire v Ita (Ire)
Eng v Wal (Eng)
Sco v Fra (Fra)

Rd 5
Wal v Ita (Wal)
Ire v Sco (Ire)
Fra v Eng (Fra)

So my final standings:
1) England (8) - Hopefully Eddie Jones can breathe new life into England. I fancy France to kill their Grandslam hopes but I think we have more exciting backs and could score lots of tries to win on points difference.
2) France (8) - Again a new coach who should hopefully get them playing the rugby we all know they are capable of.
3) Wales (6) - Wouldnt be surprised if Wales did better than this. Although tough away matches against Ireland and England.
4) Ireland (6) - I think they have a couple of injuries to key players which could give them trouble. Henderson is a massive player missing and obviously POC has left a big hole.
5) Scotland (2) - Looked good in the world cup but better performances still haven't translated into an upset against a big team. I think they are due a win against England. Fingers crossed not this year.
6) Italy (0) - Have looked really poor recently. Can see them taking the wooden spoon home.

week 1 Wins for England, France and Wales.
week 2 Wins for France, Wales and England.
week 3 Wins for Wales, Italy and England.
week 4 Wins for Ireland Wales and France.
week 5 Wins for Wales ireland and France

Just reading their and interestingly Ireland's Sunday games record is desperate. But what are the Welsh looking like. Gatland very quiet.

Well on that. I've stated McCarthy is probably a contender and while the Connacht boys fully deserve their spot I just think they'll be overlooked.

Moore hasn't been pulling trees up so not sure who else is there at TH.

Stander in my eyes and a lot of others has been the form backrow in country. If you don't agree fair enough.

McCloskey can play 12. Marshall can play 12/13 and is playing good rugby.
Fitzgearld is an option at centre if not the wing

Yeah i agree that the Connacht lads won't be given a fair shot. O'Halloran has been in immense form this season and should be in the extended squad, at the bare minimum.
Moore has been great since he's come back. Furlong is also playing very well. They are both borderline world class scrummagers and offer so much in open play in terms of carrying, offloading (Furlong in particular has great hands) and are both great at counter rucking. White and Ross are completely inept in the loose compared to Furlong and Moore.
Heaslip for me has been the best backrower. I can't understand how anyone can criticise him, based on his performances.

Wales are good. I think they'll win it on points. They showed at WC they are well coached and made it out of an impossible pool.

Don't give us too much credit VC

Just reading their and interestingly Ireland's Sunday games record is desperate. But what are the Welsh looking like. Gatland very quiet.

Most/all the players who will make up the welsh pack have been in fine form since the WC for their regions + we've got a strong halfback and center combo. That alone should put us is a great position. The back 3 is a little iffy here and there, but should do a job if the pack supplies them good ball.

We're in a better position that we were going into the knockout rounds of the WC. Things are calming on the injury front, with the key ones being Lee back to full fitness and Jon Davies back.

Historically we're slow starters, but I think that goes out of the window following WC year, because it hasn't been long since the squad were all together. They should be able to pick up where they left off. I know that's the same for all teams, but other teams don't seem to start as slowly as we do.

Ireland are there for the taking imo, although Sexton's return to form this weekend is worrying from our point of view. If we win that one, i'd back us to go on and win the championship, with a grand slam well and truly on.

Latest posts