• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 RBS Six Nations Predictions

Josht36

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Just wanted to get a feel for everyones final standings predictions for 2016. I will go first (winner in brackets).

Rd 1
Fra v Ita (Fra)
Sco v Eng (Eng)
Ire v Wal (Ire)

Rd 2
Fra v Ire (Fra)
Wal v Sco (Wal)
Ita v Eng (Eng)

Rd 3
Wal v Fra (Wal)
Ita v Sco (Sco)
Eng v Ire (Eng)

Rd 4
Ire v Ita (Ire)
Eng v Wal (Eng)
Sco v Fra (Fra)

Rd 5
Wal v Ita (Wal)
Ire v Sco (Ire)
Fra v Eng (Fra)

So my final standings:
1) England (8) - Hopefully Eddie Jones can breathe new life into England. I fancy France to kill their Grandslam hopes but I think we have more exciting backs and could score lots of tries to win on points difference.
2) France (8) - Again a new coach who should hopefully get them playing the rugby we all know they are capable of.
3) Wales (6) - Wouldnt be surprised if Wales did better than this. Although tough away matches against Ireland and England.
4) Ireland (6) - I think they have a couple of injuries to key players which could give them trouble. Henderson is a massive player missing and obviously POC has left a big hole.
5) Scotland (2) - Looked good in the world cup but better performances still haven't translated into an upset against a big team. I think they are due a win against England. Fingers crossed not this year.
6) Italy (0) - Have looked really poor recently. Can see them taking the wooden spoon home.

Can't argue with any of that, to be honest - though I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland beat France.
Depends if Shmidt has stopping "keeping his cards close to his chest in the run up to the world cup", as the Irish excuse for their unimaginative play used to be :p

From a SH (IOW limited knowledge of NH rugby) perspective I'll go:

1 England
2 Wales
3 Ireland
4 France
5 Scotland
6 Italy

Eeesht. Always tricky after a world cup as a lot tends to change.

1. Ireland. They'll play consistently on from the world cup with a similar group of players.
2. Wales. Played well in the world cup, have a lot of exciting players they are finally using. They'll only place well if they match teams up front though.
3. Scotland. Played so well recently with a very good set of backs. Promising and think they could do a number over Italy, France and maybe Wales or England.
4. England. Will be playing a new style with very few settled players. Having put England in fourth I still wouldn't be surprised if they came out top, too much of an unknown in both players and style they will take. Can't imagine they'll Grand Slam though.
5. France. Disarray despite having the players. Can imagine the decline of the last couple years hasn't finished yet unfortunately.
6. Italy. Lots of ageing players and talent that needs to play more top flight rugby.

However it may also finish
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

IF Wales' pack don't front up and Ireland have a hangover from the Argentina thrashing, with England players and coaches clicking and the younger players stepping up. I reserve the right to scratch all of these and change my mind when I see the teams though.

I'm quite confident that the Wales pack will go well this 6 nations.

Gatland has a decision to make at looshead. Jenkins and James are both nearing the end of their careers, so it's whether he sticks for the time being or twist and play the younger Rob Evans/Nicky Smith. I think he'll retain Jenkins and James for the time being, introducing Evans/Smith slowly. Jenkins has been in great form for the Blues this season, with new coach Wilson having a positive impact on his scrummaging (Wilson always improves the scrummaging of the teams he's involved with). So I'm happy to see Jenkins add to his 119 caps, so long as the youngsters get plenty of game time too. James has also been in fine form for the Ospreys....

We're pretty settled at hooker, with Baldwin and Owens good quality international players.

Lee at tighthead is now fully fit after playing barely half fit in the WC.

I think we've easily got the best second row pairing in the championship in AWJ & Charteris. They offer the complete package as a pairing.

Our backrow aint too shabby either. I'm not overly worried by Warburton's or Faletau's minor injuries. Both should be fit in advance of the 6 nations, and both have been short term injuries. There's Lydiate and Tipuric to pick from too, both of which are in some of the best form of their careers at the Ospreys. As ever it'll be interesting to see how 4 go into 3, but likelihood is Gatland will continue with Lydiate-Warbs-Faletau with Tips offering impact off the bench. I'd prefer to see Tips starting...

It's the backs that are looking less settled, with some injuries in key positions, namely fullback. We'll have a strong halfback & midfield though, and with many of those injured players due back shortly, the backline should improve as the championship develops.

This is a difficult 6 nations to predict. A lot will depend on how England and France respond to their new coaches. They could fire from the off, or they could struggle all championship long to adjust. Ireland have a lot to overcome as well, including key injuries, retirements, and shaky form of some key players. Scotland could have a big say in what happens too. I don't see them finishing above 3rd at best, but they could get one or two big wins if they continue to improve on their WC form.

At a push, I'd predict the following:

Wales. Most settled side, and most of the fit players are in fine form, particularly up front.
Ireland. Second most settled side, but may struggle in a few of their games.
England. I think they may start slowly, but should develop during the course of the championship.
Scotland. I hope they can push on.
France. Not sure a new coach can get the results straight away. Unlike England who had a fairly settled squad, France were a real mess.
Italy. A worse team than they have been in recent years. Plus I believe they are missing Parisse.

As above I believe this is going to be a difficult one to predict, Who knows what French team will turn up, will England start with a bang or wimper

1st Wales (have the experience,a settled squad and determination to take them through, Eng v Wal will be the pivotal match to see who wins the 6N)
2nd England (Who knows??? Don't expect miracles and building for the future and expect to see basics but tried and tested stuff, they could come out fighting or play like the 3 stooges)
3rd Ireland (ageing and not the team they use to be. Though the appointment of Farrell may help in keeping them in the mix and with 3 home games and an easier run in)
4th France (Just like England but feel the teams above will have just too much for them)
5th Scotland (Despite a great world cup I'm not convinced they can carry this forward though hitting a new look England first is a great opportunity to take the points then build from this. Only having 2 home games may play against them. They need another Pro12 team and less oversea's players)
6th Italy (No change here and getting worse. Until they improve domestically and sort the officials at the top out, sadly Italy are going no where. Time to start looking at the future structure of the 6N if no change over the coming few years)

Last edited:
I think people are massively underrating the challenge that England and France will face with two new coaches who have got no time with the teams before. Particularly with England where far as I'm aware none of the players likely to be in the squad have had so much as a training session with Jones. Noves of course has experience with the Toulouse players but he has a much lower floor to work up from. Schmidt may have won the Championship in his first 6N but he'd had the Autumn series and various training camps with the squad beforehand, not to mention he picked a shedload of Leinster players.

A lot of people are calling for development to be the priority ahead of winning for Ireland. That won't be the case and I don't think it should be. There's a certain amount of development that will be enforced upon us by injury and retirements anyway. We've also never won three in a row and to the best of my knowledge neither has anyone else. It'd be a very impressive achievement and I think it's certainly within our grasp.

Ultimately I expect it to be us and Wales battling it out for the ***le, England in third, France and Scotland taking either fourth or fifth and Italy bringing up the rear. It goes without saying however that these things have a way of surprising us.

I think people are massively underrating the challenge that England and France will face with two new coaches who have got no time with the teams before. Particularly with England where far as I'm aware none of the players likely to be in the squad have had so much as a training session with Jones.
The English players are exceptionally more talented than the rest of the 6N dross, though. They'll adapt in no time.

I fully expect England to have as many Saracens players as possible in the EPS and in the opening games match day lineup . Backed off with the Sarries defence coach and Borthwick I don't think it will take too much bedding in simply because most of the players should know each other very well (why would you not pick as many Saracens as possible ???) Imo England's toughest game of the whole lot will be the first up in Edinburgh

1. England
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. France
5. Scotland
6. Italy

It's going to be a very interesting six nations. In my opinion you can't really tell much from the world cup since England had Lancaster as coach and absolutely screwed their selections, Wales and Ireland both had injuries to key players. France could also be a completely different team with a new coach But the loss of Dusautoir will hurt them.
I think England will win it because they should get their selections right this year (but hopefully not) and Eddie Jones is a world-class coach. Hosting both Ireland and Wales will be the difference, I still think Wales will be the best NH team but England at home will be a bit too good for them.

I think people are massively underrating the challenge that England and France will face with two new coaches who have got no time with the teams before. Particularly with England where far as I'm aware none of the players likely to be in the squad have had so much as a training session with Jones. Noves of course has experience with the Toulouse players but he has a much lower floor to work up from. Schmidt may have won the Championship in his first 6N but he'd had the Autumn series and various training camps with the squad beforehand, not to mention he picked a shedload of Leinster players.

A lot of people are calling for development to be the priority ahead of winning for Ireland. That won't be the case and I don't think it should be. There's a certain amount of development that will be enforced upon us by injury and retirements anyway. We've also never won three in a row and to the best of my knowledge neither has anyone else. It'd be a very impressive achievement and I think it's certainly within our grasp.

Ultimately I expect it to be us and Wales battling it out for the ***le, England in third, France and Scotland taking either fourth or fifth and Italy bringing up the rear. It goes without saying however that these things have a way of surprising us.
U about az fun az me haz in Amdam tomorrw but no future.
Lol bro you're so funny and quick witted I can't wait till I have grandkids so that I can tell them of this quip so that like the works of Shakespeare it will carry on throughout the ages.

And by Bro I mean never my Bro.

Bro.

If your grand kids are born without complete knowledge of me I will have not reached the expectation I have for myself. I'm confident, in a way, but not arrogant. The kind of guy who knows he's stronger than the sea but also uses a johnny if you know what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Broseph

I fully expect England to have as many Saracens players as possible in the EPS and in the opening games match day lineup . Backed off with the Sarries defence coach and Borthwick I don't think it will take too much bedding in simply because most of the players should know each other very well (why would you not pick as many Saracens as possible ???) Imo England's toughest game of the whole lot will be the first up in Edinburgh

Hopefully only in the pack, don't really want any of their backs. Will take Farrell if I have to. The good backs are foreign.

I think people are massively underrating the challenge that England and France will face with two new coaches who have got no time with the teams before. Particularly with England where far as I'm aware none of the players likely to be in the squad have had so much as a training session with Jones. Noves of course has experience with the Toulouse players but he has a much lower floor to work .

agreed. I don't know about England. But Noves is starting from nowhere. His hands are already tied. He has players but no team. The few leaders (Dusautoir etc) have retired. Leadership is a big issue. The previous staff did everything they could to shut leaders off.Only 6 Toulouse players in his squad so good luck to him...

Sounds good to me;) Plus it will give the rest of the teams in the Premiership a chance of beating us due to the fact England will have our players :p

Wales
Ireland
England
Scotland
France
Italy

No grandslam. Wales by points.

England will probably be undercooked going in due to the lack of time spent with Jones and his new backroom staff.

Ireland could win but I'm going with a pessimistic 2nd. We have 2 young, dynamic tightheads coming through in Moore and Furlong (who have both been on the scene for the last 2 years - Moore got screwed over by injury in the last year). We're going to be very light in the 2nd row with Hendo injured and POC gone. A backrow of Ruddock, SOB and Heaslip with VdF, Henry or Stander on the bench will cause most teams a huge amount of trouble. Sexton took Biggar to the cleaners tonight and is only now getting back to form. I'd still have him over Biggar and Farrell atm. We have so many options at centre but, if Payne gets back in time, we're looking at a Henshaw-Payne combo which I'd be happy enough with. Still have Fitz (who should be in the XV regardless of position), McCloskey, Marshall, Ringrose etc which should get some gametime against Italy. No Bowe is a blessing considering how poor he was in the RWC warm up and the RWC itself. Again, we're stocked with players in the back three with the Kearney brothers, Trimble, Fitz, TOH, Matt Healy, Gilroy etc. Still need to blood a few players and decide on our centre and back three combos which could either make or break us.

France hopefully will turn up to play a decent brand of rugby but I just can't see it happening.

Scotland could do very well.

Italy....lol

Again, we're stocked with players in the back three with the Kearney brothers, Trimble, Fitz, TOH, Matt Healy, Gilroy etc.

Does anyone actually rate Dave Kearney? He's a solid enough provincial player, but he's not international quality imo. He's just a bit meh! Good in the air maybe, but he's not that fast, not that big, not that agile. Gilroy I have a lot of time for though. Not really been in the frame for a while now though. Pity, as he made such an impact at first.

Latest posts